1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Deadliest U.S. sniper murdered at a gun range in Erath County

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by k19, Feb 2, 2013.

1. k19

k19 Active Member

2,958 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/rough-creek-189536271.html

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2013/02/lancaster-police-arrest-man-in-connection-with-double-slaying-in-erath-county.html/

Can't imagine surviving the things he did only to die at the hands of one of the many he dedicated his post military life to help.
    RIP Chris
    Thoughts and prayers to his family
  2. roughneck266

roughneck266 Well-Known Member

2,012 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    Absolutely terrible news. This man was an American Hero. :( RIP.
  3. HeavyBarrel

HeavyBarrel Well-Known Member

1,011 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    This is sickening, RIP Chris Kyle......
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    :(

RIP Chris.

Another American Hero gone.
  5. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,573 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Horrible. Absolutely horrible.

RIP Chris Kyle
  6. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,994 Messages
    1,750 Likes Received
    Wow, absolutely horrible. I just watched him on "Stars earn Stripes" reality show over the summer.

To survive what he has gone through only to get killed by someone in the US military in a cowardly act. RIP Kyle
  7. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

916 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    I feel immensely sad now.

You're a hero, Kyle. RIP.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,517 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    Condolences to friends and family.
  9. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Horrible news, American Hero.

No one going to bring up the potential conspiracy? Does this story really make sense?
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,194 Messages
    1,541 Likes Received
    I think we should be hesitant here a little bit in terms of calling Routh a murderer and a coward. It's hard to really know what he was going through with PTSD.

Although it doesn't make it any less tragic, he might not have been in control of his decision making while dealing with something like that.
  11. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I don't want to turn this political but this is an area where our government in general is falling down terribly. These men and women need to get the help they need to overcome this. If they are having these kinds of issues, it is the responsibility of the government to see to it they are treated. I know at so many veterans hospitals the funding is either misspent or lacking in general.

Our heroes deserve better than they get.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,596 Messages
    1,560 Likes Received
    Here is a very sad fact. You can get people help but for a lot of cases it will not help..

The stress of war and deployments work on a person's mental health and its not good.

Facts are there are always going to be sad things like this as long as we have wars.
  13. dexternjack

5,994 Messages
    1,750 Likes Received
    Routh is a murderer, that can't be disputed. If he did in fact have PTSD, there is no logical reason he should have be in a gun range in no way, shape or form.

There has to be ways to help those sick individuals and a good place to start is not allowing them near any kind of firearms.
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,786 Messages
    1,692 Likes Received
    Can't agree with this. Shooting can be very therapeutic in cases such as this. As it turns out, it was disastrous here but it's not an uncommon practice in general.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    I agree. PTSD is a tricky condition.

It's a shame the guy was trying to provide some support and help him out and it turned out this way.
  16. dexternjack

5,994 Messages
    1,750 Likes Received
    And in turn, I can't agree with that. I come from a family of officers and detectives spread throughout from Knoxville to Houston to LA. What is the first thing that happens to a cop after a shooting--his gun is taken away and he/she is asked to stay away while investigations are being conducted.

This is not to say the cops have other firearms in possession but protocol is for their best interest. That is standard procedure in most states but there are exceptions and going to the firing range is not therapeutic in those cases.

I am pro-gun but there needs to be a better monitoring system in check for those who have no business being around them.

By your logic, should a registered sex offender be allowed to teach children in our school system? It could be therapeutic and help recovery....NOT

If someone suffers from a mental disorder-PTSD-do not put lethal weapons in their hands, period. I know, he was a marine and likes guns, so what, he is a mental case.

I am not trying to be argumentative and you made a good point but my opinion will not change. Mentally handicapped + weapons = potential disaster.
  17. Hoofbite

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Whole heartedly agree.

I know someone who's job is to try and secure benefits for vets and some of the stuff I've heard is just heart breaking.

The saddest part is, if we continue to short change our responsibility to provide support and medical help to these guys, the situation will just get worse. Doing ourselves harm by not accepting responsibility essentially.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,786 Messages
    1,692 Likes Received
    You are putting words in my mouth. First of all, there was no discussion on how long before a person should be allowed to shoot or any such qualification in your statement. You simply said that it should not be allowed. Well, I don't agree with that. Besides, it's any person's constitutional right. You can't just make a blanket statement that says it's not allowed. I mean, I suppose you can but it won't fly.
  19. Hoofbite

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Your sex offender analogy is bush league and quite frankly out of line.

Pedofiles are convicted felons, only an idiot would argue they be allowed around children.

This man was guilty of nothing other than serving his country.

PTSD varies from person to person. There's no way to determine who will be hit hardest and if you stigmatize the condition, you'll exacerbate the problem by forcing people into hiding when you start taking away the very rights that they put their life on the line to defend.

It's a horrid situation but these people need support, not punishment or suspiscion of instability and removal of rights.
  20. dexternjack

5,994 Messages
    1,750 Likes Received
    Sorry, I am assuming he was officially diagnosed with PTSD. If so, then he should not be allowed to have a gun and the military should have him in counseling with a watchful eye over him.

Maybe Kyle was that watchful eye, I don't know but if he was, that environment was a poor choice.