1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

DeCastro at 14 is stupid

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by GloryDaysRBack, Feb 5, 2012.

1. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,950 Messages
    1,681 Likes Received
    Considering that DL and OLB are considered very weak areas of this draft , are you wanting to see a reach at 14 just to fill a need . I want an elite pass rusher as much as anyone . This draft just doesn't have that elite prospect .
  2. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    that is precisely why if a good rated OLB/DE is sitting there at 14 you take it because you can address OG and CB later because the draft is deep in those areas now if their is only Bums left for OLB/DE at 14 than you still have to draft your board.
  3. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,950 Messages
    1,681 Likes Received
    That is the point . There is just not a DE/OLB that would be an improvement over Spencer or either the DL prospects are overvalued this year and teams will reach to get a player that would be rated much lower in another draft . I just don't want Dallas to be the team that reaches for a overvalued prospect . That is just the way this draft is unfolding . I like Coples , but he has a big question about his motor .
  4. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I hear ya man but if they don't sign spencer who do ya have playing there?
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,950 Messages
    1,681 Likes Received
    I would let Butler start and draft one of the prospects in the second to start learning the position . There is no need to reach at 14 and draft a prospect that is a late first/early second talent . I don't like it , but that is the way the talent falls in ths draft .
  6. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,367 Messages
    4,387 Likes Received
    I agree with you.

My first thought was Ahmad Brooks, but then you really never get to find out if Butler can ever be the guy.

I'm thinking that we should give Butler his shot and then draft another option later - like McClellin in the 3rd or 4th round.
  7. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I agree about it being a weak class but it really depends upon the grade our scouts give them as to whether I would or not..if Coples grades out to an 8 and DeCastro a 8.5 like I have seen and both are there I take Coples and get a guard later
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

43,039 Messages
    2,562 Likes Received
    frankly coples sounds like he was making 'business decisions' last year. NYET.
  9. stasheroo

21,367 Messages
    4,387 Likes Received
    I'm not crazy about drafting a guy with a questionable motor with my first round pick.

If the choice is between those two, give me DeCastro.
  10. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Well-Known Member

3,931 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    This particular thread has amzing staying power. I personaly don't think any pick that improves your team is "dumb", but I would agree that getting the best value should be a priority.

I like the idea of beefing up both D and O Lines, but perhaps the best value is at CB in round one or two. Some of these smaller CB's appear to have speed and jumping ability that would allow them to be effective against some of these larger WR's, but let's not forget that we need talent and spped to cover the likes of D. Jackson.

The opinions on pass rushers and 5 Tech DE's appear to be quite mixed, so I'm hoping for more info. I don't know if the Combine will tell us what we need to know, but I'm hoping it clears some of the picture for us.

David DeCastro appers to be a very valued prospect at this point, and the debate will rge on until draft day. If the Cowboys take him at 14, I won't be upset, but if they get an upgrade in the defensive backfield, I won't be upset with that , either.

Let's focus on being able to beat our Division and maybe we can beat everybody else as well.
  11. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

34,973 Messages
    5,029 Likes Received
    I'm not sure of the position he would actually play for the Cowboys. He's seems to lean to be a 3-4 DE. The CBS draft write-up indicates he's not stout against the run.

He sounds like he's more of a 4-3 DT.

Pass.
  12. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I can't answer that...I have no idea if he was fighting through injury, if it was him or some thing in between... that is the scouts job to determine but like I said if they rate him high than I would take him.
  13. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    no question we have to get a CB or 2 or even 3 somewhere somehow
  14. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received

also a huge consideration I think more will be answered at the combine
  15. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

34,973 Messages
    5,029 Likes Received
    I just don't see a guy in the first 15 picks who would make a good 3-4 DE. They're either too small, or too light or like the kid from Penn State, questionable production for the physical skills.
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

82,591 Messages
    6,138 Likes Received
    I agree with you and not just to contend with team in our own division and while we do have other areas to address the fact that NY, Philly and Wash sacked Tony 18 times combined not to mention putting big pressure on him. Dallas has had a habit of putting the OL on the back burner and those 3 teams are not going to stop putting pressure on our QB we better be able to do a better job of handling it
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Not to pick on your post, but I hate this term... "Find out if he can play". You might find out that he's another Alan Ball.

You shouldn't have to waste a year "finding out" if a player is any good -- your coaches should know by now whether he can do it or not.

If we're going to do this, why couldn't we "find out" if Arkin can play next year?
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

34,792 Messages
    11,253 Likes Received
    I'm with you. You find out if they can play when they take the playing time away from the starter.

That said, we didn't find out of Austin could play until an injury situation. Same with Murray last year (though, in fairness to the coaches there, he missed time with an injury and was being worked in).

In Butler's case, with Spencer on the way out, you'd think the team would have made the time to evaluate him as a potential starter. Maybe they did, and I just didn't realize his snaps went up. But I think there's a high likelihood we do something significant at SOLB in the offseason. It's too important a position to leave up for grabs.
  19. stasheroo

21,367 Messages
    4,387 Likes Received
    No offense taken.

I think there are some players who don't get the opportunities to show what they can do as quickly as they should. In the case of Butler, I believe that he's entering the final year of his deal and a decision on him needs to be made. Is he a potential staarter opposite Ware or is he a career backup who will be leaving town next year?

I agree that the coaches should know by now and based on that, we'll see how they act in the draft and free agency.

I don't think Arkin is physically capable of playing at this point.

Reports I read indicated his strength and conditioning was so sub par that he needed to be 'rebuilt'.

I don't think that's the case with Butler, expecially going into his fourth year at this level.