1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DeCastro at center ?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jnday, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Well, Costa was graded out as the 2nd worse center in the league, while Holland did grade out as an average guard so the landslide is actually at center. Plus, we did draft 2 guards just last year, while at center we have 2 undrafted guys.

Now whether or not Killer takes the center spot is something we don't know, but with Nagy we might need him at guard depending on how free agency and the draft work out this year. I figure we will probably pick up some short term vet to fill the center spot, but we do need a long term answer to develop also and if DeCastro has that versatility then it does help his cause.
  2. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,468 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    This ^^^

Center need >>>>>> guard need
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,806 Messages
    1,673 Likes Received
    Costa is at best a backup.
    Nagy may be too small for guard but a possibility at center
    Arkin appears to only need building up according to our coaches (same guys who said that about Brewster, etc so does not fill me with optimism) but since he did not play much at all last season you have to wonder.

Romo almost ended up the year on a slab because the interior of our line sucked so bad.

To hope those scrubs get better and take that chance again is the absolute height of stupidity.

We need at least ONE blue chip FA or Draft pick in the middle.

Killer MIGHT make a good center but once again we do not know and do we dare take a chance on him?

Now if Decastro can play both guard and center then frankly his value goes even higher for us.

I think Holland can probably be decent for another year. Kosier looks to be pretty much done and good only as a backup. So right now we really do not have more than one of three positions that at THIS time we can feel any confidence at all that it will be competently manned.
  4. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....he just ran a 5.34 and a 5.47 ...but he's a friggin' stud and a LOAD so: not worried about it. (best 40 time so far by olineman has been 4.91 by Adam Gettis...........interestingly: Cordy GLenn ran a 4.96....that's pretty damn good for a 345 lb. man!):eek:
  5. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

..he struggled against GOOD interior big ten lines throughout his career: had a good senior year but again, did nothing in losses to Michigan State and Iowa(wisconsin wasn't on their schedule).....pass
  6. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,818 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    Glenn made himself a lot of money this morning.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received

Has to be because zero tech is not illegal in the NFL except on Punt Formation so far as I know.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

35,186 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received
    They are out there. You just have to look. Some believe that he does not anchor as well as he should and he does not slide step well, especially when locked up. They say that he gets overpowered and loses balence in those situations. I don't know if that's true but I also have read the same kinds of things. No prospect is perfect. DeCastro is an excellent prospect, any fool can see this but, it's dangerous to buy into the idea that he is far and away the best in however many years with no weaknesses.
  9. burmafrd

41,806 Messages
    1,673 Likes Received
    This is when you have to figure out who knows what they are looking at and who is just giving an uninformed opinion.

Goose does not know crap himself but he gets his data from GM's and coaches.

Most of the scout sites are done by people who frankly are not very credible.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

35,186 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received
    Well, I'm going to step out on a ledge here and say without any doubt that it is we who don't know and they who do. They do it for a living. We post on a board.
  11. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,818 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    One thing I noticed in several of the games I watched was there were times where he doesn't pick up anyone to block in pass protection. In at least one of those cases, the center gave up a sack that could have been prevented if he had helped with the block.
  12. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,643 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    Billick mentioned the ability to play center increases DeCastro's value because of the number of active guys on the game day roster.
  13. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,468 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    Apparently Decastro took reps at center and looked great
  14. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    Nope, simply, leverage wins out over velocity and mass...add an extended pop, and time is added to a picture of diminished velocity.
  15. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    Just being practical, I would take DeCastro or Konz as a rookie center alternative from the start...and even Larry Allen moved around some at his start with the Cowboys.
  16. burmafrd

41,806 Messages
    1,673 Likes Received
    lot of people make big money doing crap work
  17. CowboyHawg2012

CowboyHawg2012 New Member

65 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh really? you mean he struggled Rich Rod's middle school offense?? good senior year because he actually had a coach that could.....coach. and yea he struggled in the past. but we're not talking about a first rounder here. but a 4th/5th/6th. so i dont see the problem
  18. ABQCOWBOY

35,186 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received
    A lot of people may, I don't know. I read a lot of info but I give more creedence to some sites over others. You pick the ones you want to add weight to. I can't say one way or the other who that might be but it doesn't mean my opinion is better then yours or anybodies in this area and vice versa. They do it much more then we do and they have more info available to them then we do. I'm going to stick with my earlier opinion and say that they do it for a living and we post on boards. No matter how well or poor they do there jobs, they do them better then we do because it is their job.
  19. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    Oh, I can appreciate the dedication principals involved, but not always the product...