1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DeCastro at Center

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Apr 24, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,557 Messages
    1,421 Likes Received
    Anyone hear Broaddus on the Lunch Break today? Supposedly mentioned the Cowboys worked DeCastro out at Center. If that is true maybe that puts him back in play at 14.
  2. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    That was mentioned last week about OL coach Callahan. Callahan has a history of taking best OL and moving him to C, while turning that player into all pro. Probably why Callahan looked at Zeitler too, see if he could transition to C, and I have heard in draft reports Zeitler could play C too.
  3. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,239 Messages
    521 Likes Received
    Who has he done this with? Just curious.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,063 Messages
    5,394 Likes Received
    DeCastro did play Center in High School.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Zeitler could play Center as well as Konz.
  5. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Well-Known Member

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    I hope he never left.
  6. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,150 Messages
    2,673 Likes Received
    I dont think DeCastro was ever not in play at 14.

I think it comes down to 3 players....DeCastro, Cox, and Barron

Whoever is left at pick 14 is the guy we take, odds are one of these guys will be there.
  7. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,623 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    That's very interesting.
  8. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,474 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    He made Mangold an all-pro but I believe he was already a center.
  9. VThokie7

VThokie7 Well-Known Member

1,964 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    Mangold was a three year starter at Ohio State and a 1st round pick as a center. And had a great rookie season.

I would hardly say Callahan made him an all-pro. Is he a great offensive line coach? Absolutely, but it requires the player have some level of talent and Mangold already had quite a pedigree.
  10. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I agree
  11. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,902 Messages
    2,710 Likes Received
  12. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I did hear Broaddus say that. More value potential if OG/OC skilled. BB did make it sound like he thought DeCastro made a really strong impression during his VR visit and he seemed to think ... by how I took it ... that DeCastro was back in play at 14 for the Cowboys.

All things considered, I'm thinking the Cowboys might select along these lines:
    Fletcher Cox, if there was any chance he was available when they pick at 14, which I seriously doubt.

Mark Barron, and I'd be good with him being picked at 14.

David DeCastro, though they might consider trading down to the late teens, feeling they may still get
    him there and be able to gain an additional pick or two in the process.

Michael Brockers ... maybe ahead of DeCastro on their board, maybe not ... it's hard to know what to
    believe this time of year but, personally, I would hold out hope DeCastro is desired ahead of Brockers.
    I just hope the Cowboys don't get too cute and lose the first 3 above player options, especially. If they think a player is worth having, just get him.
  13. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,043 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    Blogging the Boys had an excellent look at the interior OL following the Combine workout.

David DeCastro and Kevin Zeitler both logged numbers indicating they could excel as centers or guards in the NFL.

I don't believe Zeitler will be on the board at #45.

I want DeCastro at #14.
  14. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,968 Messages
    9,061 Likes Received
    Nobody.

And there's your history.
  15. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well if we do take him at 14 or even 18-20 after a trade down, I really hope this is the plan.
  16. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm no expert on Decastro, any other prospect or the Cowboys thinking.....but I think the odds we end up with him aren't great.

For a lot of obvious reasons but also because I believe we'll successfully trade down with him availible at 14 thinking that we can still get him a little later AND that there's good OL depth to tap into later.....if we do miss out on him.

But I want him above all other 1st rd options for this team.
  17. jdnoyes

jdnoyes Member

410 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If anyone is interested there is video of him at C in high school on youtube. The footage of Lucks pro day is also out there and he does rougly 20 or so shotgun snaps there, most of which are better than what we've seen out of recent Cowboys centers. I have no doubt with his skillset and smarts he can make the transition to center the question is can we really expect the guy to be a week one starter on the OL adjusting to the NFL and a position change all at once. Might take a bit more patience in that case.
  18. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,474 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I believe the quote about Callahan was taken from Ourlads scouting service under the Cowboys draft choice. Link below.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfl-mock-draft/2012/
  19. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,293 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    This move makes sense. Center = arguably the most imporant position on the OL.

I know a lot of people are against the idea of drafting a guy and playing him "out of position" because of the risk involved, but worst case scenario is that he doesn't work out at Center, and you just slide him back to guard.
  20. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,392 Messages
    897 Likes Received
    Well, since Ciskowski (sp?) said there are two offensive players and two defensive players expected to be in consideration when we pick, I'd expect one of the offensive guys to be DeCastro.

Not sure who the other offensive player would be, though, since it appears Michael Floyd is the only other player expected to be taken in that area.