1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DeCastro gone before we draft?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Verdict, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,335 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    DeCastro seems to be a great fit for us, and this year's equivalent to Tyson Smith (at Guard, rather than tackle of course). I realize that guards aren't normally taken that high, but just reading the tea leaves, it seems that there is a pretty good chance he will be gone before we draft. What do the draft gurus on this site think the chances are that he will not be there at our current draft position?
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,763 Messages
    754 Likes Received
    I say 67% chance he's there. Not terrible odds.
  3. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,262 Messages
    651 Likes Received
    67% would be great.. I don't think it's that likely
  4. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,007 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    I'm starting to think that even if he is there, the Cowboys will select another position. I think the Cowboys feel they can get good value at guard later. I can see the team passing on DeCastro if we sign a top guard in FA like Nicks or Grubbs.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,067 Messages
    1,059 Likes Received
    Cant be. Alot of the experts here said he wasnt athletic enough, strong enough, or a difference maker to draft at 14.:laugh2:
  6. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    75% he's there.
  7. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,195 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    That's what we thought last year as well and they ended up selecting Tyron.

Decastro is meat and potatoes. We need more of that. Murray right on his hip pulling. It would be a beautiful sight.
  8. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,335 Messages
    134 Likes Received

I am hoping the odds are that high.
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,763 Messages
    754 Likes Received
    Stop, you're making me hungry. :laugh2:
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,132 Messages
    1,035 Likes Received
    Traditionally, interior OL fall farther than any position in r1 come draft day.

We'll see if he really does blow a team away but I expect him to be there at 14. I do think he goes by pick 20.
  11. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,262 Messages
    651 Likes Received
    No way!
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,438 Messages
    1,908 Likes Received
    If he goes as high as 14th, it will be the highest that a Guard has been picked in many years. Iupati came close at 17, but normally the first OGe goes in the bottom 1/3 of round one or later.

It could happen, but the odds are against it.
  13. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like DeCastro, but I certainly don't think he's the only quality option at guard in the first round. Last year, for me, it was Tyron Smith or bust at 9. This year, I'm more open to the pick. Although, I would much prefer interior offensive line or CB.

Again, I still really like Cordy Glenn as an option (in round 1), because I could see the 6-5, 346 pound Glenn leading the counter trey for Felix Jones and being a flat out dominant left guard (in the Carl Nicks mold). Glenn's combination of size, power, and athleticism can't be ignored, imo. Furthermore, I could see Glenn's 6-5, 346 pound frame and his 35 1/8 inch arms playing right by Tyron Smith (6-5, 307; 36 3/8 inch arms). That left side would have two freaks instead of one. I'd love that.

Cordy Glenn is on my short list, and if Dallas is interested in Carl Nicks, they should really like Glenn. He would be much cheaper, too. Glenn should absolutely carry a first round grade for the Cowboys.

I read where Albert Breer quoted an AFC personnel director on DeCastro. (NFL.com) It's up there if you want to go read it. The AFC personnel director stated that the opinions were all over the place in regards to the guards, and he called out DeCastro specifically. The unidentified AFC person stated that Amini Silatolu was more talented than DeCastro...However, he cited Silatolu's small school pedigree as a negative.

If you could trade down a little bit and insure me Cordy Glenn, I'd take it. However, I wouldn't want to lose Glenn. I think Glenn is a good value at 14, and as the draft approaches, I think that is going to become clear. Glenn should be a top 20 pick.

Then, I just might go after my second favorite CB in this draft (Josh Norman). However, I'll be watching Silatolu and Osemele closely. They would be ideal guards for Dallas. It's time to put the size, power, strength, and athleticism back into the Dallas offensive line. Tyron Smith was just the start. Smith became Dallas' 20 year old, blue-chip cornerstone last April. Build on him with quality...

If the Cowboys want to win a playoff game on the road or compete for the NFC East next year, the interior offensive line must be addressed in this draft, imo. This guard class is too deep (at the top) and talented for a guard depleted team, like Dallas, to just ignore. CB has to be addressed, too.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    no way I think that Red Ball wants anyone that could be close to Davis part deux.

There are a lot of problems when you are talking about a 350 lb player. They tend to get injured more and have shorter careers.

And sorry but there is no way that he can pull like Decastro can. watched him and its not possible.

That source of Breer sounds like someone that is talking out his rear end.
  15. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Get real ... you know Jerry is picking a CB at 14 ... one of the two either Dre Kirkpatrick or Janoris Jenkins will be there. Just wait until the combine when you see Jenkins run a 4.3 and Kirkpatrick run a 4.4. Jerry will be salivating at that point.
  16. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    50% but I hope I'm wrong.
  17. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

945 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    I thin the drug issues on jenkins and kripatrick will scare jerry off. Decastro should be there but i get the feeling they want Konz and would be surprised to see a trade back to get him.
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    If by chance DeCastro is gone then there will be other top options at 14 Dallas could choose from who would fit BPA who also fills a need. Ingram,Upshaw or Dre would be good pick ups and DeCastro going earlier than 14 also means someone else slipped to 14 who was expected to go before DeCastro.