1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dedicated Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by CowboyFan74, Oct 3, 2010.

1. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,898 Messages
    628 Likes Received
  2. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here is the issue late me look but if the laptop does not already have a dedicated graphics card you are tough out of luck they are not like desktops where you can just add stuff to them.

Most laptops with what is called discrete graphics cards that let you upgrade and they are generally are underneath the keyboard and you just un plug it and replace underneath.

Looking at the specs and info I can find their is no Video upgrade available so the only thing you can do to help is add RAM and if you are not running 64bit version of the OS anything past 8GB is a waste of Ram
  3. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I'm not sure what you are asking but it does have a video jack. All laptops come with a "shared" video card.
  4. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That would be incorrect sir

Laptops have what is called shared Video memory or discrete video memory

Laptops with shared Video uses part of the CPU cycles and RAM to process all video request which generally slows down the overall performance of the laptop.

Some laptops come what is called discrete or dedicated graphics card which have a scaled down version video card (compared to workstations) dedicated for just video

This would be the same on a desktop if you buy a desktop with on board video and use it will reduce the PC performance because it uses the CPU and RAM to run the video. The difference is must Motherboards on desktops (their are exceptions) have the ability to install a video card just for video and disabling the on board video card automatically increasing the performance of the computer.
  5. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Shared memory is what I meant
  6. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  7. CowboyFan74

12,898 Messages
    628 Likes Received
    So can I soup it up or not?:confused:
  8. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not that model
  9. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's a laptop, no SOUP for you!! What you buy is what you get. It's not like a desktop where you can unplug the video card from the motherboard.
  10. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,539 Messages
    698 Likes Received
    You can supe up your significant other.............. ;)
  11. CowboyFan74

12,898 Messages
    628 Likes Received
    Haha ok well I just tested it out on one of Tek2000's youtube vids and it runs fine without the upgrade. The nerds at the Geek Squad counter confirmed no upgrades were avail, no biggie it runs nicely...:cool:
  12. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You trusted anything that came out of the geek squads mouth :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
  13. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,890 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    :hammer:

I think their only qualification is being able to wear that stupid shirt and tie.
  14. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Guys that work at Geek Squad are the guys that failed the technical Q & A portion of their interview for a any real tech job. :laugh2: