1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Defense Official: Obama Calling for Defense Budget Cuts

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by JBond, Jan 31, 2009.

1. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Defense Official: Obama Calling for Defense Budget Cuts

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/30/defense-official-obama-calling-defense-budget-cuts/

The Obama administration has asked the military's Joint Chiefs of Staff to cut the Pentagon's budget request for the fiscal year 2010 by more than 10 percent -- about $55 billion -- a senior U.S. defense official tells FOX News.
    Last year's defense budget was $512 billion. Service chiefs and planners will be spending the weekend "burning the midnight oil" looking at ways to cut the budget -- looking especially at weapons programs, the defense official said.

Some overall budget figures are expected to be announced Monday.
    Obama met Friday at the White House with a small group of military advisers, including Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Gen. James Cartwright, vice chairman, and Gen. Jim Jones, National Security Council chairman.

FOX News' Jennifer Griffin contributed to this report.
  2. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Color me not surprised.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    To start with fire about 50% of those that work in the Pentagon. Then in every other major HQ. Cut half of all generals and admirals. That would do quite a bit right there.
  4. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,338 Messages
    1,361 Likes Received
    i don't mind cutting back on defense these days.

i object to new spending on crap that doesn't help the problem however.
  5. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,818 Messages
    704 Likes Received
    Cut the defense budget and guess what the defense contractors are going to do? I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count. You got it: fire/layoff employees.

I'm guessing that these congressmen don't want any cuts in their backyard. So let the political bloodbath begin.

How about this: cut the defense budget, and then follow it up with a bailout for the defense companies? Nice, very nice.

Dems hate defense spending but also know they ain't getting re-elected if a lot of people are unemployed.
  6. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Great. Just great.

We live in some of the most dangerous times in the history of the world and he is going to cut the defense budget.

Well, no surprise really. The leftist said he would do it.
  7. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,302 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I hate to say this, but he is going to destroy this country with his policies.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    10% isn't exactly a crippling amount. Considering how much is spent there, I'd say things will probably be okay.
  9. Viper

Viper Active Member

2,190 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hitting close to home hey ninja, those damn unions.:mad:
  10. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As soon as Barack Obama "slashed" the Military Budget, I knew people would forget about what a Senior Pentagon Board stated in November 2008.

November 2008 - Pentagon board says cuts essential

Of course when President Barack Obama proceeds as directed, he gets labelled "soft" and anti-American.

The United States needs to stop "policing" the entire world and focus its effort on the most critical places.

Our bloated presence on the world stage is going to bankrupt this country. Let's take the fight to these terrorists in places like Afghanistan, Pakistan and maybe Iran and GTHO of all these other countries around the world.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    If you knew a little something about the military maybe you would not sound so bad Maikeru. The problem we have is the waste and crap that is mandated by congress and the lobbyists and contractors. Probably 25% of the budget is wasted. BUT when cuts are made its always readiness and training and spare parts and ammunition. Just what SHOULD NOT be cut.
    So unless your messiah can change the usual, a defense cut is bad news. And I am not talking about policing the world- just maintaining our current commitments. You know: Afghanistan, Iraq, keeping an eye on North Korea, etc.
  12. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Good. We spend way too much on defense. A ridiculous amount really. We're already tops in the world. I think we can take a 10% hit.
  13. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,302 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Well if Americans were not so risk adverse to casualties, then yeah we could take a hit. However, our technological edge is what allows us to not suffer very many casualties. 10% is going to hurt badly, especially when he wants to add more people to the military. Readiness will suffer, badly.
  14. iceberg

28,338 Messages
    1,361 Likes Received
    yet, if there's say, a tsunami, we're expected to help clean it up and lead rescue efforts.

wild this double standard out there.
  15. iceberg

28,338 Messages
    1,361 Likes Received
    fine. now give *everything* a 10% hit, not just your pet anti-projects.
  16. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,105 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    Good one Jerry. I agree lets cut every program 10% across the board and I would not have a problem with a 10% budget cut to the military. Even across the board...
  17. iceberg

28,338 Messages
    1,361 Likes Received
    i just don't get the spending bill either. nowhere in there did i see any direct creation of jobs, just a lot of pet projects getting funded.
  18. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,818 Messages
    704 Likes Received
    Unions? Not sure what you are talking about there. Close to home? I'm not a contractor. Will they start cutting federal employees? Doubt it, but you never know, and you definitely don't want to lapse into a false sense of security.

It wouldn't surprise me though if the defense budget actually increased 10% and government employees increased after all is said and done.
  19. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Which has nothing to do with "policing" the world...
  20. iceberg

28,338 Messages
    1,361 Likes Received
    it's an overall leadership position, for good or bad. i'm *not* saying i want us to be the worlds police, only that when you're the "lead dog" there's good and bad with that.