1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Defensive Bad Boy Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by JonJon, Jan 16, 2012.

1. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    [IMG]

All picks are defensive players that would bring a much-needed attitude and swagger to the defense.

Round 1: Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
    Height: 5-10. Weight: 188.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.45.

Analysis: Jenkins is one of the top rated CB's in this years draft. Many have him ranked #2 behind LSU's Claiborne, and some even go as far as to say he is better than Claiborne. Jenkins possess strong man and zone coverage skills, fluid hips, speed to keep up with NFL receivers, and the ball skills necessary to make a ton of interceptions. He is a solid tackler and can also contribute in the return game. His stock has dropped because of incidents that got him removed from the Florida football program. At pick #14, I expect both Claiborne and Kirkpatrick to be gone. Jenkins would easily be the best CB available and help the secondary tremendously.

Round 2: Vinny Curry, DE/OLB, Marshall
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 263.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.66.

Analysis: Anthony Spencer will test the FA market this year, which will leave a hole at the OLB spot opposite Ware. The Cowboys still may decide to upgrade this position and move on without Spencer anyway, since he has had somewhat of a disappointing career so far. Enter Vinny Curry, one of the top 3-4 OLB prospects in the draft. Curry is a fast, explosive pass rusher with relentless motor and enough athleticism to man the OLB position. He will provide another pass rushing presence opposite Ware that was missing in 2011.

Round 3: Jared Crick, DE/DT, Nebraska
    Height: 6-6. Weight: 285.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.88.

Analysis: Crick is a productive player that will see his stock drop due to a torn pectoral injury that ended his 2011 campaign. His two previous seasons were productive, 9.5 sacks and 12.5 TKL when paired next to Ndamukong Suh during his sophmore year. He amassed 9.5 sacks and 14.5 TKL in his junior season without Suh. He is a great value pick, as he would have gone higher without the injury. He could come in and provide a pass rush presence on the defensive line for the Cowboys.

Round 4: Omar Bolden, CB, Arizona State
    Height: 5-10. Weight: 195.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.45.

Analysis: With the backfield easily the Cowboys weakest unit in 2011 and Newman not likely to return, the Cowboys would do good to add as much talent to the secondary as possible. Omar Bolden would be an extremely valuable selection at this slot. I was going to put Brandon Taylor, FS, LSU here, but Bolden would be too good to pass up and this is exactly the type of player the Cowboys love to pick. Bolden was a likely first round CB candidate before tearing his ACL in spring practice and missing the entire 2011 season. He decided not to return to Arizona St. for his senior season and will instead enter the NFL draft. He could work his way into the lineup slowly in the 2012 season for the Cowboys, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting in the future.

Round 5: Carmen Messina, ILB, New Mexico
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 236.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.62.

Analysis: Another player that would be too good to pass up. Messina was one of the most productive linebackers in the nation this year with 12.5 tackles for a loss, one interception, three sacks and one forced fumble, and led the nation in tackles in 2009 with 262. He is a technically sound tackler and a a smart and instinctive football player that could challenge Carter for the starting ILB spot next to breakout performer, Sean Lee. Looking at his production, you'd think he would go higher, but many mocks that I have seen have him dropping into the 5th round where he should be available for us.

Round 6: Adrien Cole, ILB, Louisiana Tech
    Height: 5-11. Weight: 250.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.71.

Analysis: With Brooking and James expected to be gone in 2012, the Cowboys should look to add more quality depth at the ILB positions. Cole is another highly productive player that would be a great sleeper pick. He was the WAC Defensive Player of the Year. He had 127 tackles with 13 tackles for a loss, two sacks, one forced fumble, one interception and three blocked kicks. At the very least, he would provide quality depth and came in the game in some defensive rotations and special teams.

Round 7: Hebron Fangupo, NT, BYU
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 331.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.30.

Analysis: Fangupo is a NT project that had a late start in football and will need some development before being given an opportunity to start. He could turn into a quality player in a few years. He played at USC before transferring to BYU where he had a decent season with 23 tackles with 5.5 tackles for a loss.
  2. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,910 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Well I obviously wouldn't sign up for this but I will say personally I would take Janoris Jenkins in the top 50 barring any big red flags
  3. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,348 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    Kyle Martens > Janoris Jenkins
  4. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    Yeah it's not a traditional mock where someone picks based on need or BPA for offense and defense together. This is a mock if you are looking for players in a specific round that would add intensity to the defense. I wouldn't want all of these guys, but there a quite a few that could help us.
  5. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    FAIL.
  6. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,910 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    I looked it up, saw his face and was like "what am I missing?" then I lol'd
  7. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,336 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    Any badboy mock not including Burfict is fail. ;)
  8. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    LOL. I wanted him, but Jenkins is the #1 bad boy in my book.
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I like the Jenkins pick , just not at 14 . Maybe a trade down . Like the Curry pick also . I really hope he is a Cowboy .
  10. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,336 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    It actually isn't completely unrealistic to trade back in the first for an earlier second and select Burfict and Janoris Jenkins. We would wreak havoc on D next year but probably also lead the league in defensive penalties.