1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Deion Sinks To New Lows

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Hoofbite, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Concussions aren't a problem in the NFL. All these guys are just looking for a payday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...ssion-problem-says-former-225011441--nfl.html

Funny a guy who spent his entire career trying to avoid as much contact as he could would even make such a remark.
  2. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,899 Messages
    1,211 Likes Received
    I think it is a real problem, but the reality is that I don't feel bad for these players.

They're overcompensated for what they do already.

The fact that they choose to play as long as they do despite the risks entail that they care more about the money than they do their health. As a result, I feel it's illogical to have sympathy for them.
  3. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,457 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    I feel bad for them in the aspect that they have these issues after football (I would not wish suffering on anyone that is just doing their job), but I have never once heard from anyone in their right mind that football is good for your long term health.

Like Ed Reed said, they "signed up for it".
  4. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,099 Messages
    1,122 Likes Received
    I don't think it is a new low, I just think it's ignorance.

Part of the problem is that if you could go back in a time machine and tell these guys that they would likely suffer brain damage they would never believe you or wouldn't care.

However, it should not prevent us from making people more aware from the problem and striving to make the controlled violence of the game as safe as we can within the limits of the game.

YR
  5. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    :hammer:

Soldiers face far worse dangers and for a fraction of what the players make.

I don't feel bad for them at all.
  6. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,928 Messages
    1,236 Likes Received
    You don't have to feel bad for NFL players, .. but the same risk is there for college and high school football players.
  7. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,056 Messages
    286 Likes Received
    To a certain degree, he's right. Many of the players in the lawsuit only joined to support those that actually need it and out of the remaining group, many are there just for a pay day. Courtney Brown comes to mind. His NF career was very short and I think other nagging injuries played a big role in that, not neccesarily concussions.

Now there are some players who need the help and support, but I do believe it's far less than the total number on the law suit.
  8. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,945 Messages
    673 Likes Received
    a) How does this guy have a job commenting on anything? b) Guy is a moron and c) I wish there was some kind of announcing Survivor island where if you say enough stupid things you just get voted off and we never have to hear your comments again d) Of course Deion doesn't know about concussions, he never hit anyone to get one.
  9. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,819 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    Yep. Same with Policemen and Firemen. Some jobs are dangerous. At least NFL players are well paid.
  10. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,573 Messages
    1,827 Likes Received
    :hammer:

However, Deion could still be right on this one. And that does nothing to change what you posted as a, b, c, and d.
  11. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,218 Messages
    1,166 Likes Received
    They can help make the game as safe as they can for players of the future without paying off players from the past.

I feel bad for anyone who has suffered from injuries, but that doesn't mean I agree with them asking for money now.
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,184 Messages
    1,539 Likes Received
    I do think its a little more than a coincidence that, as they try to make the league "safer," more and more guys are saying they have a bunch of problems. While I'm not going to sit here and say that every guy who gets a concussion is milking it, I think there is probably some level of truth to what Deion is saying.
  13. FootballFan1

FootballFan1 Member

283 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    How many times have I gone to a football forum and read from the fans - take them out in order to win. "Them" being any good player on an opposite team that may make an impact on the game. How many times???

And also have noticed the winners of Super Bowl games lately being those that hit the hardest, and make no excuses. In many cases, cheap shots -- meant to not only hurt, but take a player out of a game.

I have no idea how to make changes to the game without it impacting what football is -- the game itself. Guess you really cannot. So, it is a tough question, with answers??? I do not have a clue.

Most of us that are real football fans want the game to be continued as it is, a tough game. But I really think some of the players that make a point of making cheap shots -- with a fine -- need to be made an example of. And we as fans should never express the opinion that the answer to winning is to take a player out of the game with a cheap shot.

There is no question that most players by the end of a season -- if they make it that far -- are banged up and in many cases their season, and perhaps their playing time is over. And I believe I read that a football player has a shorter life span than a "normal" person of about 5 years.

So yes, many players are well compensated for playing a game they love. Guess most of us would like that kind of career. But how many players actually reach that point where they have an extended period of playing time -- with the compensation??

One thing I do know, I can see in front of me a play and watch what happened. Was it just a hit, or was it a hit to injure. It is kind of like justice, I know it when I see it, but please do not ask me to put a definition on it.

As to answers, for me, not a clue. And how to fix it. But one thing for sure I know, fans of the game should not encourage or want that kind of play. Win the game on your talent. And cheap shots, or shots meant to hurt should be dealt with by the league.

Again, I have no clue. I certainly do not want to see the game itself turned into "touch" football. Would ruin the game. But the league needs to seriously evaluate certain hits and REALLY make a point of making someone pay the consequences for it. And we as fans certainly should not encourage it. Win on your merit, not at all costs. And yeah, one day someone is not going to come off the field -- maybe then.

Clueless am I.
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,392 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    Welp, Deion works for the league now so what did you think he would say? Follow the dollars.
  15. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,908 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    They aren't overcompensated. It's simple supply and demand for a rare skilled labor. Basic economics really.
  16. Galian Beast

8,899 Messages
    1,211 Likes Received
    Supply and demand doesn't mean that they aren't overcompensated.

By that definition no one is over or under compensated but making exactly what the market demands.

The reality is that anyone making that kind of money is overcompensated.
  17. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

854 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    interesting
  18. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,908 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    No they aren't. It's what the market demands. How is that over compensation?
  19. Galian Beast

8,899 Messages
    1,211 Likes Received
    define for me then, "over compensation".
  20. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

993 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Your compensation is based upn the value of your skills in a given market. The comparison to soliders, firemen, and police officers isn't valid when it is not remotely in the same job category. Sports is entertainment; those other careers aren't. I hope that didnt offend anyone, I actually feel people who have those careers are under compensated. But that is me placing my personal values onto the average compensation and benefits for those separate industries.

I don't agree that simply because these former athletes would've LIKELY continued to play despite the risk, that they lose the ability to have intimate knowledge of what they're risking. I'm sure some may have had some idea of what would happen to them physically upon retirement, but if even one was unaware, than the league has done them ALL a disservice. A doctor wouldn't forgo informing you of a potential health risk simply because he assumes you wouldn't care.

Now, if the statements I've read that the league settled a prior case to a former player years ago in regards to this very issue is true, the NFL really doesn't have a leg to stand on. Granted, as in any class action lawsuit, you're going to have scumbags trying to cash in. But the lack of integrity of those individuals doesn't let the league off the hook if they had intimidate knowledge of the long-term effects of this type of career. Meanwhile neglecting to inform the players , or pursue advancements to lower potential risks.