1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Demarco Murray is a difference maker

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Gryphon, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,444 Messages
    2,132 Likes Received
    I think the reason people call DeMarco Murray a difference maker is because Felix doesn't rush for all the hypothetical yardage.

Last week they put up the numbers in games when Murray is in and out. They were pretty different.
  2. LarryCanadian

LarryCanadian Active Member

1,465 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Other teams defenses actually bit on the play action when Murray is in there.

Murray also rarely loses yards and often makes a number of yards after first and even second contact. He bounces outside off large piles - as he has above average vision it would seem, at least at times.

This gives the oline a bit of a boost in confidence - don't underestimate that on a struggling unit.

The fact that defenses don't cheat as much when he is in there is a big plus.

He is also an emotional lift - as he comes through often in the big situations (like the first down run late in game -that was pretty big). Game 1 he really made the Cowboys a tougher team, rolling over the Giants - he brings a winning attitude that just plain HELPS those around him both from the obvious and the intangibles!
  3. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,760 Messages
    831 Likes Received
    Murray has 15 first downs in the last 2 games - he has been a crucial drive extender since returning.
  4. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,362 Messages
    827 Likes Received
    What? Fantasy stats aren't the only story?
  5. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Fantasy stats? Who cares about fantasy stats?
  6. BanditHiro

BanditHiro Well-Known Member

2,133 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    he makes plays Felix Jones can't simple as that.
  7. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,147 Messages
    664 Likes Received
    Sometimes Murray runs like he's drunk out there. Stumbling around and running into players.

He made a few clutch runs when we needed them today but overall, he was very underwhelming. That many carries and only 50 or so yards, not good.

And yes, he's good when he's out there. But that's the problem. You can't rely on him to be healthy.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,563 Messages
    5,291 Likes Received
    What's so impressive to me about Murray is how many first downs the guy gets after contact. Those are big, big plays, and he does it multiple times, every week. That first down to seal the game was, what, his third drive-extending run today against a very active front? That's rare, hugely important, and it's not something that shows up in a regular stat line.
  9. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,760 Messages
    831 Likes Received
    Murray was 5-5 in 3rd down conversions, that's the definition of clutch.
  10. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,458 Messages
    787 Likes Received
    Agree. The thing you can't account for is presence. His sheer presence in the game causes defenses to have to play honest which opens up the overall passing game for the rest of the offense. So glad to have him back.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,563 Messages
    5,291 Likes Received
    Murray's day today is pretty much the definition of why traditional running game stats can't accurately measure the effectiveness of a running game. Murray was a big reason why we won this game.

I'm not sure how to probably measure the significance of the effect for running backs, but it's the difference between winning and losing and has nothing to do with ypc or ypa. He kept the chains moving, though, when nobody else on our roster could have. Very impressive.
  12. kevm3

kevm3 Well-Known Member

789 Messages
    416 Likes Received
    Why do we need to cast down one cowboys player to uplift another one? Murray is the bonafide starter and Felix is the back-up. Murray does get those critical first downs, which is crucial.
  13. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,033 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    They have to keep giving him the football... He's going to break some long runs!
  14. alohawg

alohawg Active Member

1,241 Messages
    12 Likes Received

lol, yes he does- good honest assessment. What's your take on Jones?
  15. Wezsh0T

Wezsh0T Well-Known Member

1,129 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    The stat line has nothing to do with what Murray did out there. Those runs and catches in the 4th quarter allowed the comeback and then the victory. As they say, "stats don't always tell the whole story". Anyone would be pleased with that stat line if they take into account the situations in which those paltry stats were gained.
  16. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,582 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    When DeMarco is in - opponent defenses merely DO honor the Dallas run threat more than they would with Felix or any other Cowboys back in there as his stead.

It takes pressure off Tony Romo by forcing the front seven to commit to stopping the run. Which leads to more one-on-one coverage of Dez, Myles, the slot receiver and Witten. Which ends in some overmatched defender on any play.
  17. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    He made some first downs.. i appriciate the fact that he gets us a new set of down when its needed.

Nowhere have i said that i dislike Murray at all.. im a big fan.
  18. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,487 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Please stay healthy!!
  19. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,051 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    I feel like Murray can get short yardage when the opposition knows the run is coming and stacks the box (i.e. the first touchdown and the last first down). I like Felix, but I don’t trust his push is obvious short yardage situations.
  20. e41dalasfan

e41dalasfan New Member

109 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know ...The only difference is Garrett sticks with him no matter how many times he gets stopped for a negative loss, or stopped for one or two yards...Sticking with the run is helping the team more than who id running the ball ...these people need to get real