1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

demarco murray

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jblaze2004, Apr 29, 2011.

1. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,244 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    he is going to be our reggie bush...but at a cheaper price....He is going to get used how we wanted to use felix. At KR, WR, RB, shifts and motions. Create mismatches with that 4.37 speed. And can pass block better than choice and jones already....barber is gone.

Think about it and let it sink in. If felix gets hurt we will still have a speed back.

The way he runs remind me of darren mcfadden. He has speed, a nice stiff arm and will lower the boom (help break tackles).

60+ touchdowns in college. The numbers are there folks.
  2. fishspill

fishspill Active Member

937 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Hope you're right. And we'll have 4 or so months of exchanges just like this when talking about him until we see him on the field.
  3. jblaze2004

8,244 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    yeah i hope the courts rule in favor of the players next week so this lockout will be done and we can get the ota's and rookie minicamps started. So we can see him on the field.
  4. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,403 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    He's going to be good.
  5. jblaze2004

8,244 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    might see alittle wild cat with someone is actually a threat to score (no offense choice lovers).
  6. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    .....but my track record of picking running backs SUCKS. I thought the Hillis kid on Cleveland wouldn't do much and.......wrong. I'm just glad they TOOK a RB....ballsy.:)
  7. HoleInTheRoof

HoleInTheRoof Benched

3,265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Each day the lockout is in place, is just one more day Murray doesn't go Dennis Byrd on us.
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,664 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    lol, please no. There isn't a player in the NFL I hate more than Reggie Bush.
  9. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,832 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    He's going to be our Demarco Murray... that's what I think.
  10. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I love the guy. He broke a 40 year record for TDs in a career at OU. The record held by the great Steve Owens. And he did that while being injured a significant part of his career.

He is a high character, locker room leader and he can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. Injuries have been the knock on him and this year he proved he could play a full season.

Garrett will scheme to get this rocket in the open field and he can outrun any defender.

His long TD run against Texas 2 years ago was something else. I'm pretty sure that was Earl Thomas he left in his dust.
  11. jblaze2004

8,244 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    oh it was. I think it looked like him couldn't tell as murray sped past him...lol...and earl thomas runs 4.3's
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,899 Messages
    3,851 Likes Received
    He better learn not to run so upright, or he's not going to last long in the NFL.
  13. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,403 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    he can BLOCK which is KEY
  14. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,031 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    That probably had huge weight on the pick for the Romo hit and that hit only. I would gladly have given a third round pick for Romo to be healthy and not have gotten knocked out last season. However it did give Cowboy fans an excuse for that bad season, we may have won a couple, maybe even a few games if Romo didn't go down but Romo was there for that horrid start, even though he was playing well
  15. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,387 Messages
    1,432 Likes Received
    There you go. His blitz pickups are better than Choice already.
  16. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    It's really the vision and running style that's questionable about this guy. Reminds me most of Justin Fargas coming out several years back, but without the mangled leg.

Also seems a bit like a poor man's Felix - similar characteristics and quirks, but not in the same class in terms of lateral agility and shiftiness. Will fight through hard tackles at times and then get shoestringed by a pinky.

From a value perspective it seems fine. They say he was the best player on their board by quite a margin...seems surprising, but that is what it is.
  17. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,577 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    Good to hear! It's nice to have some positive opinions on him for a change.

I like the kid alot, would've preferred beefing up the lines, but we'll just have to do that in the rest of the draft now
  18. cdf

cdf New Member

13 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    DeMarco Murray RB Oklahoma
    TALENT BOARD
    Round 1

STRENGTHS
    DeMarco is a long striding running back that has finally learned that running between the tackles and making plays by breaking tackles is not how he will stay on the field and impact for his college team and for the next level. He has improved this year in his football intelligence most of all. He has always been a fast running, quick cutting tailback, but injuries have limited his ability to impact. DeMarco shows good vision and when he is in the open field, he will scare the spots off a dalmatian. He shows excellent hands to catch the ball down the field and is a multi-dimensional running back that if used correctly will impact just being on the field. Demarco Murray's smooth gait and his long stride make him very hard to catch and tackle once he has his hands on the ball in space. He has the size to handle being more than a specialty player but not the bulk to be a franchise running back that handles your team's running game every play. That being said, DeMarco does have the potential to be a franchise player if you move him around your offense. I'm calling him DeMarco (The Prayer) Murray and if you keep reading, you'll find out why.

CONCERNS
    DeMarco has improved his football intelligence, but for the next level, he will have to learn how to read defenses like a QB and pick up blitzing LB's or his worth to a team will be less impacting and he will not be a franchise player. I think he will do it.

BOTTOM LINE
    Do you remember these players? Marshall Faulk, Thurman Thomas, Curtis Martin? Those players were running backs that fit a spread offense system perfectly. They could carry the ball, catch a pass down the field like a wide receiver, read defenses like a QB and... they all could block a blitzing LB like a fullback. DeMarco has this type of potential. I suggest that Demarco watch film of how Thurman Thomas blocked to protect his QB, then watch film of Curtis Martin running and picking his way through traffic to gain yardage and then watch film of Marshall Faulk and how he ran routes split out as a WR. DeMarco has to continue to improve in all of his skills, but as he does, he should be able to impact on special teams right away and be used as a slot receiver on third downs. Right now Reggie Bush (Saints) and Matt Forte (Bears) come to mind as players who are almost as good as the players I mentioned before, but they are still learning. Bush has become an important part of the Saints' offense. I think his injury this year has magnified his importance to his team. Matt Forte is going to be another player who is smart and multi talented and is improving in the new offense that the Bears are running. (You can see both these original profiles in the archives). DeMarco must be thought of in the same way as a multi dimensional player who, if moved around the offense, will impact as a RB, WR and blocker. Like I said before, I call him DeMarco (The Prayer) Murray because defense should say a prayer when they have to go up against him and his offensive coordinator should pray that he turns into the player I think he can be.

This is from huddle report
  19. cowboys3128

cowboys3128 Member

123 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like the pick as well. Watched him play alot. Good size, very good all-around back. Excellent hands - caught 71 balls last year. Doesn't have alot of moves, but can take it to the house if he gets a seam.

I think he could potentially cut into Choice's duties immediately. And as everyone has mentioned, a very good blocker.

Only drawback is he was nicked up quite a bit at OU. Missed some games his junior season, and was often on an injury watch. Main injuries were ankles and hamstrings if I remember right. OU tried to platoon their RB's, but it was often Murray that carried the RB load. That may have contributed to some of his injuries. Good news here is that he's now part of a legit platoon.