1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Democratic investigators target health insurers

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by sacase, Aug 19, 2009.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,361 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    That's true. You want to convince me that you are serious about Healthcare? Start with Tort Reform. This is something that the President could start legislation on immediately without congressional approval.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,292 Messages
    1,763 Likes Received
    I agree. I don't hear much talk about lowering cost. Much of what I'm hearing is the same thing I heard with the stimulus we need to pass this and now. My big fear of Government ran healthcare is not what it looks like or cost in year 1 or year 5 but how many things in Government start of as good ideals only to turn into programs that end up placing larger burdens on the tax payer and never live up to what is promised. Once you implement it there is going to be no turning back.

We see SS and Medicare in serious trouble this will be as well. Government can't do the job period. If they want to do things to help the industry bring down cost great but this is not going to do anything but become yet another Government program taking money from the tax payer
  3. ABQCOWBOY

34,361 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    Well, I don't think that anybody can deny this as valid. Heck, when Medicare was first introduced, it was introduced as a suplimental program designed to assist in the costs of Healthcare. It has now turned into the primary healthcare program for the elderly. This was never the design.
  4. Doomsday101

75,292 Messages
    1,763 Likes Received
    True and it is in trouble.
  5. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

Been saying this is going to happen when these people get control.

But noooooooooo! The Dems would never go to these lengths to make the insurance companies the demons in the battle over the health care take over.

:lmao:

Suckers!
  6. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,005 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    The Tort Reform issue is a red herring. The insurance lobby lies about this. While there are frivolous judgements, it's not as bad as the insurance companies claim. It is an excuse to limit their liability, while not, of course, limiting their charges.

My big change in Tort Reform would be to continue to allow punitive damages, but not give those damages to the client/lawyers, but instead put them into some sort of appropriate insurance focused fund.

The big insurance companies are rotten to the core, through and through. They are major money players, and the call the tunes that make everyone dance. Just look at the amount of FUD coming out about health care reform. They are desparate to keep the golden goose in their hands.

As long as they control things, things will continue to be broken.

In case you can't tell, I am not a big fan of insurance....;)

"The real truth of the matter is, as you and I know, that a financial element in the larger centers has owned the government ever since the days of Andrew Jackson, and I am not wholly excepting the administration of W.W. (Woodrow Wilson.) The country is going through a repetition of Jackson's fight with the Bank of the United States—only on a far bigger and broader basis."
    – Franklin D Roosevelt
  7. ABQCOWBOY

34,361 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    I agree in large part Argle. I believe Insurance Companies are probably the next biggest crooks behind the Government. However, I think Tort reform is essential and let me tell you why. If we don't have it, then you can't regulate insurance companies on what they charge because of it. If you have Tort Reform, then you can mandate what can be charged to the consumer with relation to Medical Claims. I think it's a very important part of reform.

Your idea on damages is interesting. I've never consider something like that but it does present for interesting possabilities.

BTW,

Happy Birthday Argle.

:)
  8. Doomsday101

75,292 Messages
    1,763 Likes Received
    For something that is a red herring the Dems do not even want to deal with it. US doctors pay the highest malpractice insurance in the world and yes these massive law suite that are putting big money into the lawyers hands is a contributing factor.
  9. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It is crazy how much money lawyers get for litigation; Here in Texas when it passed the Doctors I know and talked too said before the bill they where set to have a 30% increase that year in there Malpractice and all them where going to have to raise there rates to cover the cost (that was what 2-3 years ago). As soon as the bill pass the insurance company let them know there malpractice insurance was no longer going up 30% but normal inflation of 3% so they did not raise there prices. So well it may not have lowered everything it flat lined quite a bit in Texas. There are still other issues that need addressed but it is a start for darn sure.

If you know the truth Texas pays more in Car insurance than most states because of litigation we have more suits from auto accidents than most states because we have a no fault state which leads itself to law suits. So yes Torte reform can help but it is not the goose that layed the egg it is a piece of the puzzle
  10. Doomsday101

75,292 Messages
    1,763 Likes Received
    I agree. I don't see it as some cure all just one part of the puzzle as you said and yet you can't even bring it to the table for discussion. Dems have fought tort reform at every turn.
  11. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    How true.

Go get 'em Dems!
  12. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I'm with you!
  13. ABQCOWBOY

34,361 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  14. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Where they spend money on trips is irrelevant to fixing the issue what they do with the profit does not matter and is stupid unless you are fear mongering and looking to do something shady. they made the money they can spend it how ever they like they have there stock holders to answer to.

What we need to look at is things like why insurance can just drop you because you get sick. All the pre condition issues we need to come up with a more suitable way to cover this issue with insurance companies.

There is already private managed care with HMO's do we try to steer people that have less money to these options.

Maybe allow for non profit insurance organizations that can help the lower income people; we have hospitals like that (the one I work at is one).

FSA accounts we should be looking into expanding this if possible.

If they want to fix healthcare it starts with more relevant issues.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

34,361 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    I think their is a place for Government Option. My problem is that I don't believe the tax payer should be saddled with Nationalised Healthcare. I think the Government should offer a lower income option to the people. Their should be cost associated with it but it should be cheaper, compensatory to the service received. That way, those who just want the cheapest coverage available could buy it from the Government. It should not be none profit but should be very affordable. The Government could turn around and fund Medicare/Medicaid with the proceeds gained. That would provide a way to introduce price control and compatition into the market. For those of us who don't want bear bones care, we can still have an option with our own private plan. This would drive costs down, for sure IMO. Would allow the government to actively persue the things they want to and would become a revenue center for Healthcare needs this country has problems funding, while easing the burden on the tax payer.
  16. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,005 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Some interesting ideas and proposals there, Kangaroo and ABQ. Sounds like some reasonable approaches to me. Pragmatically, the insurance companies have to be cut in, or they'll scuttle the deal, whatever it is.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    I would make regulations on settling out of court a lot stronger. All too often the insurance company's settle frivulous claims just to not go to court. Which of course encourages others. Then they charge doctors horrendous sums for their insurance- who of course passes THOSE charges to their patients. The reason malpractice insurance has skyrocketed in the last 20 years is stupid courts awarding obscene amounts on stupid cases and the insurance companies and lawyers cashing in.

You libs might want to remember that the lawyers are some of the biggest supporters of the Democrats- especially trial lawyers who have had a big voice in that party for years.
  18. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    ....:D
  19. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received