1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dems rally for Obama at Ohio congresswoman's memorial

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by zrinkill, Aug 31, 2008.

1. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,017 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    DUBLIN, Ohio - A memorial service for an Ohio congresswoman turned into a rallying cry for party unity and a strong show of support for Barack Obama yesterday, as the Clintons and Obama flanked the stage and took turns at the podium.

They were in Cleveland to celebrate the legacy of Stephanie Tubbs Jones, the first black congresswoman of Ohio, who died Aug. 20 of a brain aneurysm.

In life, she was fiercely loyal to Hillary Clinton, who named her co-chairwoman of her national campaign. Tubbs Jones stumped all over this state and helped deliver a decisive primary victory for Clinton. She backed Obama after Clinton was defeated.

Obama will need many more Clinton Democrats to switch sides if he has any chance of winning this state, which President George W. Bush won by 3 points in 2004. Aides said Clinton will likely appear here on the trail for Obama.

"Stephanie opened our hearts," said Clinton, who wore a black suit and pearls. "She was not a fair-weather friend. I certainly know what that means."

Clinton sat between her husband and Obama on stage. Michelle Obama and Joe and Jill Biden sat in the front row.

Obama, who is on a bus tour of swing states with Biden, also spoke of Tubbs Jones' unflagging loyalty. He got a standing ovation when he spoke at the Cleveland Convention Center.

"During this most recent contest, Stephanie and I started off on different sides ... we would see each other and she just said to me, 'This is what it means to be a friend for me,'" Obama recalled. "And all I could say is 'I understand.' And that is a testimony to her and the kind of person she was."

Next up was Rep. Carolyn Kilpatrick (D-Mich), chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus, who stayed neutral during the primaries, but has since become a vocal Obama supporter.

"Sixty-five days from today we have an opportunity to change the world. ... The best way to pay homage to our sister is to work your families. Get everyone in your family out to vote," she urged the crowd. "As Stephanie would say, 'Let's get busy.'"

Though not on the program, former President Bill Clinton was asked to speak and took the opportunity to talk about how Obama's candidacy had changed perceptions of the presidency.

"There's a 6-year-old who looks at me and says, 'Are you really the president?' And I said, 'Yes, I am.' And he said, 'You're not dead yet.' He thought the president was George Washington or Thomas Jefferson, a president was a dead white guy.

"Thanks to you, senator," Clinton addressed Obama, "no one will ever think that is the definition again."

Biden and Obama are set to head to Michigan later today, but were keeping a close eye on Hurricane Gustav.

"We are deeply concerned. I've instructed my Senate staff to monitor the situation closely, make sure we've contacted both FEMA but also private relief organizations just to make sure that whatever happens people are prepared," Obama said.

Later the senator said he himself had spoken to Louisiana officials and New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin.

"We're praying for New Orleans but we want to make sure that people are making all the necessary precautions."

http://www.newsday.com/news/printedition/nation/ny-usobam315823803aug31,0,4583049.story

2. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Paul Wellstone memorial all over again.
  3. zrinkill

33,017 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    Thats the first thing I thought of as well.

But whatever keeps them away from picketing Soldiers funerals is ok with me.
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Same old play book and it will have the same old results...

Defeat.

The definition if insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

And this is the party of "Change".

We don't need the insane in the white house.
  5. JiggsCasey

JiggsCasey Benched

420 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Really? Deafed? Same old playbook, huh? As if the GOP has adjusted it's playbook at halftime all these years. Yeah.

Anyway, sorry for the thread necromancy... But the Wellstone sentiment boiled over at his memorial because many on the Hill were quite convinced the man was murdered. And remain so to this day. The circumstances behind his death were bizarre, to say the least.
  6. zrinkill

33,017 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    What banned member are you that you wanted to re argue this 2 months later?

Lets see ..... I posted this on 8/31

Benny got banned 8/30 so he never got to comment on it.

hmmmmmmmm ....
  7. JiggsCasey

JiggsCasey Benched

420 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can assure you I've never visited your web site before last week. You can put away your convenient assumption.

You see, your site has a nice little feature called a search option. Much like the topic of Peak Oil, I wanted to see if anyone offered any discussion about the only progressive Senator of the past 30 years -- the man who would probably be where Barack Obama is now if he were still alive today.
  8. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Code word for extreme left wing liberal!
  9. JiggsCasey

JiggsCasey Benched

420 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I recognize people like you, and their incessant requirement to identify and label and isolate people with a different viewpoint.

Would you like us all to wear an insignia of some sort for easy identification?
  10. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,903 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    Truther alert...
  11. zrinkill

33,017 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  12. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    People like you don't need to wear a label.

We can see you coming from a mile away.

He was a liberal.

I'm a conservative.

I'm proud to say that. Why aren't you proud to be a liberal? Just changing what you call it doesn't change what you are.

Progressive, Liberal.

Same thing.

Talk about putting lipstick on a pig!
  13. JiggsCasey

JiggsCasey Benched

420 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    OK cool. So I won't need a gold star on my shirt. Anyhow, as it relates to your strawman argument, I never said I was ashamed of anything. But I'll let you get back to making up a scenario which does not exist. It's what you guys do.

Shall we get back to talking about which party plucks from the "same old playbook" now?
  14. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Strawman argument?

Funny. You talk but say nothing.

And what's with the gold star remark? What are you insinuating.
  15. zrinkill

33,017 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    Who was it that always called any argument he disagreed with a "strawman" argument?

:laugh1:
  16. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Benny Boy????

:D
  17. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    By your definition, a vote for John McCain is insane... his positions on the major issues are indistinguishable from the guy who has occupied the Oval Office these last 7 years plus... more of the same tax breaks for the rich... more of the same in Iraq...

We absolutely don't...

Now, all you need to do is figure out that the only "insanity" here, by your definition, is voting for John McCain... nothing changes if he's elected...

Particularly not when he'll be looking at a Congress solidly controlled by Democrats... with that staring him in the face, all he'll be able to do is frustrate their agenda with his veto pen (on some issues, he's not even well-liked within his own party, so he can't count on their lockstep support the way Dubya could when he took office)...

So basically, besides being insane, a vote for John McCain is a vote for governmental gridlock...
  18. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In your world, if you're not to the right of Attila the Hun politically, you're an "extreme left wing liberal"... :D
  19. JiggsCasey

JiggsCasey Benched

420 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Again, never been to this website before in my life before earlier this week. Not once.

That makes you wrong about geopolitics, wrong about the campaign, and a fairly horrible detective.

Hopefully you know a bit of something about the Cowboys.
  20. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    If Obama was selling crap sandwiches you get one on whole wheat. :D