1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Denard Robinson moving to WR

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by LatinMind, Jan 21, 2013.

1. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,626 Messages
    1,624 Likes Received
    This is an intriguing move. Guy is super athletic. If he can make the move successfully he'd be a good pickup in the 4th round
  2. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,881 Messages
    378 Likes Received
    Makes sense. Could be a good slot guy.
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,007 Messages
    1,397 Likes Received
    I know someone might, but I wouldn't take a chance on him before the 5th. You can still get starting quality players in the 4th if you've done your homework, but I think the 5th is where I'd be willing to look at a project player.
  4. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    He should learn how to return kicks.
  5. Hailmary

Hailmary Active Member

2,249 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Not so intriguing seeing as how no one is taking him seriously as a qb at the next level. Kudos to him for not being stubborn and insisting on making it as a nfl qb.
  6. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

970 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    This guy would be very intriguing in the fourth rd. WR/ST similar to Chris Rainey without the baggage and RKG.
  7. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,465 Messages
    156 Likes Received
  8. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,493 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    Sorta like Randall Cobb. Cobb played QB at Kentucky and then played some RB and finally WR.

I could see Robinson in the Randall Cobb mold.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,051 Messages
    7,552 Likes Received
    That's what's going to help him. Cobb's success. But, of course, he actually played the position in college.

I still think if he aces all the workouts and the interviews he's got a shot to go late 2nd round. I probably wouldn't pull the trigger until the 3rd round. But he's too dynamic of a playmaker to think he's going to be there in the 5th round.

Another thing that helps him is this is a weak class at the skill positions.
  10. Hailmary

Hailmary Active Member

2,249 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    You think so? I agree there aren't too many blue chip guys at WR worthy of a top 15/20 pick, but from the late 1st to the end of the 3rd, I think this group is pretty solid.
  11. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Mel Kiper also said that Jimmy Claussen was the 4th best player in the draft.
  12. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,493 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    Cobb went in at the bottom of the 2nd round (64th overall). I suspect Robinson may go a bit higher than that because of how Cobb's career has gone to date.

Robinson is a better athlete than Cobb is.
  13. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,892 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    I agree 100% He won't last that long but fifth is when I'd start looking at him.
  14. batman36

batman36 Member

508 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I recall Kiper telling former USC receiver Mike Williams that he thought Williams would be the draft's no. 1 pick, to which Williams replied that he didn't think he would, or should be the top pick. After the interview, Kiper seemed incredulous that a player didn't buy into the hype. Perhaps, Mike knew something that Mel didn't.
  15. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The most successful one I can think of is Bert Emanuel who played QB at Rice and then wr in the NFL.

I grew up watching Southwest Conference football and loved how that guy played in college and it was cool watching him be successful in the Pro's.

The only other one I can think of that produced a little most recently was Arnaz Battle.

What i saw from Bert him was a full commitment to the position change. I seen a lot of failed attempts like Eric Crouch and several other but I think those guys where never committed to the position change after being the Big Star and wanted o play QB still.
  16. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,784 Messages
    4,336 Likes Received
    Does anybody know more about his mental-makeup? I've "heard" that he is dumb as a box of rocks. Is there any truth to this rumor?
  17. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,901 Messages
    990 Likes Received
    Cobb spent his last year in college playing WR. He had already transitioned to the position before going to the NFL. That makes a difference and is an advantage that Robinson does not have.

Antwaan Randle El, Joshua Cribbs and Brad Smith all played QB in college and have made the switch to WR.

You are right about Eric Crouch. He didn't want to make the switch. He thought he could be an NFL QB. He could move like Vick and was very similar in size and build, but had a noodle arm.
  18. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

970 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    I have read quotes about him being football smart and having leadership traits. I do not think he lasts till the fourth round this year. Lots of info about him being a try hard and RKG. Most think he never should of played QB and his real impact in the NFL will be WR and STeams.
  19. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,953 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    IIRC, Drew Pearson was an option QB at Tulsa.
  20. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,901 Messages
    990 Likes Received
    Yes, but he made the switch to WR while still in college and played two seasons at that position.