1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Denard Robinson

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by respectdatstar, Dec 25, 2012.

1. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I just read on ESPN that he may project well as a CB. Does he have the potential to be made into a FS? I think he should be on our board as a Devin Hester type athlete. He can catch, throw, run, return. Can he cover, hit and tackle?
  2. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,267 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I think there might be too big of a learning curve for him to play in the defensive backfield, seeing as how he's never played it at any level (not to my knowledge anyway).

I think the slot would be his ideal position at the next level. Maybe a change of pace back.....

One thing I think most talent evaluators are in agreement is that he's not an nfl caliber QB. If he wants to do himself a favor, he should insist on showcasing his talents with either the WRs, RBs or DBs at the combine.
  3. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The article I spoke of in original post said he would likely play the position he NFL teams would project him as in the bowl game. Should help his draft stock.
  4. Star Guard_31

Star Guard_31 Active Member

215 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I think Gil Brandt was the source of the Robinson to CB idea. If the article you're referencing is the one I'm thinking of, he's even directly quoted. No offense to Gil, he is such an important part of this team's history, but the guy has lost it. I don't know if you've had a chance to hear his radio show on Sirius, but the guy is about where Pat Summeral was before they pulled him out of the broadcast booth. I don't put too much stock into his recent theories.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,814 Messages
    5,962 Likes Received
    Robinson has the athletic ability to play a number of positions; however, someone posted that he is dumb as a box of rocks. I don't know if that is true, but I wouldn't want a project unless he is a quick learner.
  6. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I guess we will see when he does his wonderlic.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,845 Messages
    10,149 Likes Received
    He's too good with the football in his hands to draft him for defense. You have to see what he can do as a WR first.
  8. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,954 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    I have to agree. I can't see how you wouldn't try him at WR first.
  9. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,100 Messages
    677 Likes Received
    He's going to have to go to a spread team like the Patriots or Packers to be truly the most effective I believe. Could you imagine if it was Robinson playing RB/WR/KR instead of Woodhead? That is assuming that Robinson is capable of fully grasping an offense and committing to his lesser role.
  10. Risen Star

22,845 Messages
    10,149 Likes Received
    I can only imagine if we had here next year. I know I'd want him in the offense. The guy is deadly in the open field. You're going to maximize his impact by getting the ball in his hands as much as possible and that's certainly as a WR more than a CB.

Plus you'd have to think it's an easier transition. He wouldn't be the first college QB to play WR in the pros.

It's going to be interesting to see how high he goes. I'd say he's a solid 2nd day pick.
  11. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,979 Messages
    1,541 Likes Received
    What is the draft format this year? Two days or three days? I wouldn't spend more than a 5th because he is a raw project.

He is a very good athlete, but I am not sure if he is a great athlete. He got shut down when he faced top defenses. He made his living facing bad defenses.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...ads-guilty-to-driving-with-suspended-license/
  12. Risen Star

22,845 Messages
    10,149 Likes Received
    3 day drafts from now on. So 2nd day means a 2nd or 3rd round pick on Friday.
  13. joseephuss

21,979 Messages
    1,541 Likes Received
    Thanks, that is what I thought. A 2nd or 3rd round pick is too high for a project in my opinion. There have been some good receivers taken in those rounds that played the position throughout their college careers and they took time to develop. Robinson is starting from scratch. Dallas needs guys in those rounds that can fight for starting spots next season, not a few seasons down the road.
  14. mortboy

mortboy Active Member

815 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    I see him as kind of a Percy Harvin type of guy. Gets a few hand offs on some sweeps/reverses and some short passes. Not saying he is anywhere near a Harvin, but iread somewhere that he has caught the most balls behind the line than any WR in the league and it isn't even close. That is how I would think he would be used until he can develop.
  15. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I was thinking McCluster but Harvin is probably a closer comparison.
  16. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,559 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    Actually I think McCluster is better than Percy Harving because A) neither will is likely to have the impact of Harvin on a game and B) Percy is really strong and hard to bring down. McCluster and Robinson are elusive but go down much easier than Harvin.
  17. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    These are reasons McCluster is better than Harvin?
  18. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,814 Messages
    5,962 Likes Received
    Where would you take him?
  19. joseephuss

21,979 Messages
    1,541 Likes Received
    I think he meant a better comparison to Robinson, not a better player than Harvin.
  20. Risen Star

22,845 Messages
    10,149 Likes Received
    I probably wouldn't take him in the 2nd round unless I had a later pick. Like around 50 or so. I would strongly consider him there.