1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Denard Robinson

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by respectdatstar, Dec 25, 2012.

1. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Thanks for clearing that up.
  2. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    That's too high for a guy without a position, imo.
  3. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,464 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    Depends on how sold you are that the guy can really make the transition.

If that guy can turn into a high quality WR, even if it's a slot guy, and give you some KR and PR abilities as well?

That's a pretty nice pick up if you ask me. I definately would give some strong consideration to him if he's there at the right time.

The most important thing for this team in the off-season is the trenches. Securing upgrades on the O-line and D-line will give this team some serious steps in the direction everyone wants to see them go.
  4. Hailmary

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I dunno. Those are some big ifs for a project. If he wows at the combines then I think someone takes a chance on him in the 2nd, but I personally wouldn't consider him until the 3rd and would consider him to be good value in the 4th.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    His workouts will be really important. It's anybody's guess where he falls right now.
  6. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...I've seen this kid all 4 yrs. he's played as I live in Big Ten country and he IS as someone said dumb as a stump.(rival teams fans sometimes referred to him as 'Detard' which is outta line IMO but they said it not me) They usually don't make him available for interviews because he isn't too articulate.(had his speech at big ten media day before the season written for him and subsequently read it straight off cue cards...kinda sad)

Sure, he's fast but he doesn't have a whole lot of wiggle and he isn't durable AT ALL. He is a 4th rounder IMO and no better. He's way overrated.
  7. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,399 Messages
    165 Likes Received

Just look at Devin Hester, same thing. Didn't have a position in college, got drafted as a CB, was moved to WR still can not do anything but return, and is as smart as a box of rocks.
  8. Hailmary

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Hester's not a fair comparison though. Yes, he didn't really have a position at Miami, but he was an elite returner there. Chicago drafted him as a difference maker as a special teamer. I honestly don't think they expected much from him as a skill player. He walked into training camp without a position but because of his prowess as a returner, he had a definite role. Not sure if the same can be said about Robinson. Yes, he's been productive at college, but his projection to the next level is based on potential based on roles he's never been asked to participate before.
  9. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,512 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    think we've already spent too much time and draft picks on project players like Robinson.....
  10. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...that's a fact man. We have serious issues and drafting this kid won't solve any of them. That said, he is a NICE 4th round value pick for a team that can AFFORD to bring him along slowly and spoon feed him: Pats, Pack, Texans, etc....
  11. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,042 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    We already know he's going to blow those workouts up though. Sub 4.4 40. That's going to get you drafted a round higher than you should most of the time. Speed kills, to use a cliche used way too often. I think Robinson will off of the board by the start of the 4th.
  12. Hailmary

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    With each passing draft, the thing i've come to learn is that it's really difficult to predict how one will perform at the combine. You expect someone to run 4.4 and they turn in 4.6. On the other hand, you expect someone else to run a 4.6 and they run a 4.4.....

With that said, hell would freeze over if robinson runs a sub 4.4
  13. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,042 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    Huh? I overstated it by saying he will definitely run a sub 4.4, that was a bit of hyperbole. But why would hell freeze over if he ran a sub 4.4 if he's done it before? High school state track champion and got timed at 4.32 with a 300+ max bench during his HS senior year. Kid is an athletic freak. No idea how you think its out of the question that he can run a sub 4.4.
  14. Hailmary

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I'll believe it when I see it. There are always reports of super fast 40 times and players being so and so height and weight. Then they get to the combines and they end up being 2 tenths of a second slower (which is a lot) an inch shorter and etc...

No doubt he's a very good athlete, but I'm not convinced he's an elite athlete.
  15. mortboy

mortboy Active Member

808 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Just an update.

Former Michigan QB Denard Robinson accepted his invitation to the Senior Bowl as a wide receiver.
    Per Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, Robinson should also get a chance to play some running back. Robinson is smartly giving up the ghost that would have been an attempt to play quarterback in the NFL in favor of a position switch that could translate to a lengthy, productive pro career. Listed at 6'0/197, Robinson is thick in the lower body with short-area burst and runs with patience behind blockers. We think his best projection is as a returner/running back prospect. Robinson would have to learn to pass protect, though.
  16. Risen Star

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    He should run well, but I'm talking about route running, hands, even interviews.

If he aces all of that I think he's got a shot to be a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick. He's a dynamic talent that these offensive gurus in the NFL would love to get their hands on.
  17. Risen Star

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    BTW, when I say offensive gurus, I'm talking first and foremost about Jason Garrett.
  18. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,470 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    Robinson will be the modern day Woody Danztler. Great athlete who can never find a position.

Woody is famous to us for his amazing kick return against SF where he broke about 8 tackles, tip toed down the sideline and scored. He was a star QB at Clemson, and played QB,RB,WR,KR,PR,CB,FS in the pros but never kept a position for very long.
  19. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,042 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    Brad Smith, Josh Cribbs, Julian Edelman, Antwaan Randle El

A bunch of success stories when it comes to this kind of thing here. And I don't think you can discount the fact that Robinson more or less dominated at a major D1 college program when it came to running the ball. Over 4,000 yards of rushing in 3 years with 37 TD's (just rushing) is pretty damn impressive. I'd take a shot in the 4th without a doubt. Could easily be a guy who can get 5 carries a game, 5 catches a game, and return kicks. Could be a useful game for sure.
  20. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

3,728 Messages
    1,094 Likes Received
    What everyone has failed to mention is how good of a person this kid is. All his talent aside, he's a stand up guy with a great head on his shoulders. Watch his interviews and read about him. Everyone loves him, and he's been a positive influence in the community at Michigan the past 4 years. He's definitely a JG kind of guy.