1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dennard to the Pats

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by a_minimalist, Apr 28, 2012.

1. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,569 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    dennard has some issues and I read that per the reports that scouts actually thought he wasn't cut out for CB in the NFL. He does however play the deep stuff really well so I'm wondering if they won't move him to FS.
  2. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,547 Messages
    677 Likes Received
    Nostradamus wants his secret.
  3. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,689 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    i don't know if you're trying to be a wise *** or not but if you are you just failed miserably. i was referring to the player being in jail. i'm pretty sure the patriots wouldn't draft a player who couldn't play because he would be in jail.

nice try though.
  4. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Bryce brown dennard at great 7th round picks because you are getting exceptional 2nd or 3rd round players at 1/10th the cost of their talent level. I'm pretty sure the odds are better than that they will work out.
  5. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,893 Messages
    15 Likes Received

It's a privilege to play in the NFL and I'm glad that character counts for something. I want our kids to have REAL role models, not the selfish idiots who seem to grab the headlines. If Dennard makes it in the NFL, then it will be despite his behaviour. As somebody has already pointed out, Merriweather bombed out as a first rounder. NE isn't that great at drafting DB's and despite stockpiling picks, Bellichick really relied on Mr Brady to be the difference maker.
  6. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,893 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    I don't know where you get the idea that Brown represents a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He was highly touted out of high school, but he's been a huge dissapointment since.
  7. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,470 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    He won't see any more jailtime than he already has. That doesn't mean he wasn't still a huge risk with that poor of judgment.

Then again, **** happens all the time that was unfortunate and unintentional, as someone currently on probation for "resisting arrest" I know this first hand. Police officers can and will say anything they have to in order to justify an arrest. A badge doesn't make you any more trust worthy or right than anyone else.

If Dennard has no priors I would be very interested to know what really happened that night.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

I'm not laughing at you, just the fact that someone actually brought personal experience into it when I didn't expect it.
  9. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,470 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    Yeah. I know. I almost didn't but its no biggy now. **** happens and I am not worried about being judged.

It's just one of those things where after having been through it I never trust a police report. Half of those guys are dirtier than the people they lock up.
  10. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Nonsense. From just one fact I can tell a whole lot about this case. The cop wasn't hurt and probably wasn't assaulted in the sense most of us think of assault.

From the article, "He [Dennard] was arrested after a brief struggle with four officers, police said. The officer hit in the head did not seek medical treatment."
  11. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nebraska is one of my t-shirt college teams and I watch most of their games. Dennard is NOT that good, he's nowhere near the prospects that Clairborne, Gilmore, Kirkpatrick or even Jenkins are from a physical standpoint. He's a solid fundamental guy with a relatively low ceiling.
  12. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,731 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    Go back and look at their drafts over the last several years. They've taken a lot of them.
  13. a_minimalist

4,689 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Hmmm, the patriots have drafted a lot of players that were in jail and couldn't attend any off-season activities? If you read what I've written in this thread I've already explained that's what I meant when I said that. They aren't an organization that is dumb enough to draft a player who will end up going to jail and not be able to play.
  14. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    You have a Nebraska t-shirt?

Well, then, I'll bank on this assessment. :laugh1:
  15. Picksix

4,731 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    I didn't say anything about him being in jail. I said he if can't play (meaning he isn't good enough to play in the NFL), then it's not a good pick, regardless of where he was selected. And going back over the last several years, the Patriots have taken a lot of players who turned out not to be any good. I know they wouldn't take a guy they thought would spend a significant time in jail. Those are pretty much reserved for the Bengals.
  16. a_minimalist

4,689 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    You're confusing me. So then why did you reply to my post? You're telling me something that had no relevance to what I had said. I never said anything about them only drafting players who will start/be contributors. I was specifically saying they wouldn't draft someone that would be in jail.

You're right though, that would be for the Bengals. lol
  17. Picksix

4,731 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    Sorry, I was responding to your assertion that they got great value for Dennard, which if he turns out to be a good player, they absolutely did. I'm simply prediciting he won't be.
  18. a_minimalist

4,689 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Oh okay, I got ya. You may be right. They did get good value in terms risk though. Rather then use an earlier draft pick as some predicted he might go, grab him at the end from another team and take the risk. At the end of the day no one knows how he will turn out. IMO it was good value as a 7th round pick. They took a talented player that should have gone earlier if he didn't have one off the field issue. Rather than take the chance of losing a player like that in UDFA, snag him and see.
  19. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    You are getting a chance at 2nd or 3rd round physical skill for the price of a backup linebacker. Bryce Brown has very good physical skill if you can get him in shape and his mind right. He requires effort of coaches no doubt, but the NFL does not say you can't assign "grad assistant" type coaches to those guys.

I'd take my shots in the 7th round. I'd honestly try to accumulate them because teams think so little of them they are very undervalued. Out of Brown, Dennard, Datko, and Janzen Jacksen 1 or 2 of them will get there head and or body right and become a starter. All of them have starter physical ability and you can cut them for nothing. Combined those 4 picks would be worth the same as a 6th rounder. Sure you might get some of them in free agency but there is more competition there.
  20. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.......he's not IMO: which is why I'm surprised hoodie took him