1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Derek Dooley hired as WR Coach... Robinson to remain as consultant

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bowdown27, Feb 4, 2013.

1. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,325 Messages
    2,128 Likes Received
    smh. Read the thread. He was WR coach for the phins in 2005.
  2. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I'm afraid if we don't hear in the next couple of weeks then Garrett will continue calling the plays--UGH.
  3. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,090 Messages
    5,648 Likes Received
    Or maybe they won't make an official annoucement...and just wait until after the season starts.
  4. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    Not only did he coach WRs at the pro level but he also coached WRs at SMU in 97-99.

Sometimes it pays to do your own research instead of letting the group think for you.
  5. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

959 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    actually he was te coach at Miami but yea he does have wr coaching experience at SMU and hopefully he is just a bad head coach and can contribute at the positional level
  6. Wezsh0T

Wezsh0T Well-Known Member

1,198 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    I think the only reason Robinson will not be the WR coach anymore is because he wanted to retire.
  7. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    The article mentioned he was the WR coach while in Miami.

Either way though, a TE coach and a WR coach are not worlds apart in terms of coaching.
  8. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,303 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    But you could coach DL.

Dooley was a TE coach under saban and helped coach Hunter, Patterson and Rogers before Rogers was kicked off the team at UT.

I don't think their is much of a difference for TE to WR.

Also the guy was a WR when he played at Virgina
  9. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,239 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Robinson will be the play caller
  10. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,554 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    His wife is a doctor in Dallas..... so Garret helped him so he could be closer to her.:eek:
  11. Omegasupreme

Omegasupreme Member

248 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The logic is familiar.
  12. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,656 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Don't forget who his dad is? Dooley grew up with a SEC legend in Vince Dooley. Good bloodlines if nothing else.
  13. dware94

dware94 Member

105 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Exactly right. I live in Indianapolis and fans couldn't wait for Caldwell to be fired as HC. Turns out he makes a pretty good offensive coordinator.
  14. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,545 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  15. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,665 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I watch a lot of TN games. You think our fans are bad?? We have nothing on TN. They will talk about the next coach the same way. Trust me!!!
  16. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,290 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    My apologies. I didn't do my research.

Phins for a year, and 2 yrs at SMU. Got it.
  17. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,444 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    The idea that he may be going into semi retirement and chose this for himself has some merit.

But the fact that he was listed as Assistant Head Coach also plays a part in this ( I think).

My guess is that JJ/JG (whoever) wants to take that title and give it to someone else. We just can't call everyone an Assistant HC. So the Cowboys are taking that title away from him. Maybe Robinson wasn't all that happy about that since it could also mean a cut in pay and a step back to just be a WR coach.

The compromise might have been to move him to a consulting role and add a new WR coach that would serve as an assistant to Robinson and lighten his workload (Dooley). Lose the title (and maybe some pay) but lose some long hours in return is a fair trade off for Robinson. Gaining back an Asst HC title that the Cowboys can give to someone else without losing a good position coach helps the Cowboys.

Add info that Dooley was basically unemployed and worked with JG in the past, I don't think Dooley would mind having a mentor of sorts in Robinson. If he's a "puppet" WR coach, I'm fine with that as long a Robinson is pulling strings.

Just a theory and it's partially wishful thinking. I'd like to think that Robinson will still be involved with our WR's. I thought he did a good job with Dez, Harris, Beasley and Laurent Robinson (last year).

(Yes I do find the fact that I even contemplated the idea that a postion coach is a puppet and/or a coach in name only is pretty hilarious, but it is a win for everyone involved)
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Buddy of mine who lives in Tennessee didn't have kind things to say about him.

"Congratulations, you just hired one of the worst coaches in Tennessee's history".

"What did they hire that guy for? Figured he'd be out of coaching".

"People around here hate his , he's a piece of....".

"At one point he lost 16 straight conference games. Last year's loss against Kentucky was the first time Tennessee had lost to Kentucky in almost 30 years".

All this in about 30 seconds after me asking about him. Guess it's good he's just a WR coach.........I guess.
  19. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,817 Messages
    846 Likes Received
    If this was a Garrett hire and he doesn't turn out the way our receivers are supposed to turn out - and if Dez's regresses, then its time to question Garrett's judgement. Honestly, I would rather have Jerry select the asst coaches. So far, Jerry seemed to have pulled a coupe especially getting Maranelli to come to Dallas.

Garrett is getting more inexperienced coaches and that is the last thing we need in Dallas right now.
  20. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,810 Messages
    774 Likes Received
    Some one on this board is a lawyer and had several experiences with Dooley and his players. Said the guy took no responsibility and was basically an enabler of his players awful behaviors

I personally don't really care. Can anyone name the WR coach of the Ravens? The Niners?

Position coaches don't matter that much to me. Except when they're really really good (Marinelli) or a former failed head coach who had been pantsed on national TV (you know who)