1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Derek Dooley WR Coach?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Tejano15, Jan 26, 2013.

1. acheman

acheman Member

972 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can't argue with that point JOBBERONE. I wanted him to get at least one more year here, in spite of my own misgivings (just felt he deserved at least 4 years) all I am saying is rather than Garrett hiring the guy based on his own past working relationship (which should be the truest gauge he could use) I hope he went through the "Process" of shaking every tree at his disposal to make his decision. I am also, Not saying what type of take Witten could have, or should have, or would have given (because I haven't the slightest idea what he may think of Dooley), just that if it were me doing the hiring, I would use every resource available, to make my own decision.
  2. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,326 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    Coached tight ends for two years with the Dolphins.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,036 Messages
    4,200 Likes Received
    Yeah, I didn't get that either.

I sure hope Garrett isn't relying on his own first hand experience and is acting on Witten's speculation.
  4. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    This is clearly a guy Garrett knows well. It sounds like Jimmy Robinson will perhaps provide some assistance as a consultant in a transition year to part some wisdom to the new guy.

None of us really has any idea about how well this might work out. We can only judge by the results on the field. Can he get Austin back to his 2009 form? Can he get Dez to continue to play at an All-Pro level and continue to minimize his mistakes. Can Harris develop into an elite slot guy with great RAC skills. Can he get Danny Coale and Cole Beasley to take the next step and become NFL quality WRs. Can he do the same for that PS guy who showed well in camp last year, Tim Benford (I think that's what his name was).

WR coach is probably the 2nd most important position coach on offense these days, right after OL coach, IMO. This is an important hire so I hope Garrett brought in the right guy to develop players.
  5. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,326 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    The good thing for Dooley is the progress Bryant and Harris made this year. Makes his job a lot easier. He might look like the best position coach in the NFL if Austin stays healthy and Bryant and Harris continue to at least play at the level they were at the end of the season.
  6. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

1,792 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    Why in heavens name would you worry about Dez when according to you our quarterback is a hack? Dez had a breakout season -- how in the world did that happen?

Posted from Cowboyszone.com App for Android
  7. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,317 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    I am talking about Dez. Just Dez. Not his connection with Romo.
  8. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,163 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    You could make the connection that Dez had a great year because of Tony.
  9. Gemini Dolly

6,317 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    Thats great. Thats awesome. Just dont lob interceptions to Washington anymore.
  10. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,000 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    Interestingly enough as a VOL fan the football gods seem to be cursing us. First Monte Kiffin who's son Lane left us high and dry for USC and now Dooley who was a dufus as a HC.

I cant seem to get away from these guys.
  11. BigWillie

BigWillie Well-Known Member

1,665 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    [IMG]

And people doubt what Dooley can teach our WRs.
  12. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

13,671 Messages
    637 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  13. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

1,792 Messages
    313 Likes Received
  14. Gemini Dolly

6,317 Messages
    476 Likes Received
  15. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What's his connection with Gruden?
  16. miamicowboy21

miamicowboy21 Active Member

2,836 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    The son of the legendary Vince Dooley who used to coach at Georgia. I believe Derek was on Saban's staff firing his brief stint with the dolphins. Derek is a nice southern gentlemen, but he couldn't win a UT. Great hire a coach who can't win hired by an organization who can't win!! Macth made in Heaven,
  17. Boyz981

Boyz981 Active Member

154 Messages
    47 Likes Received

Some people don't have a clue! LOL... This is a job as a WR coach!
  18. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

2,993 Messages
    355 Likes Received
    Gemini Dolly the latest to jump off the Romo bandwagon.
  19. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,359 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    Honestly, the hiring and firing of position coaches doesn't do much for me. I know these guys are important, but I don't get too excited or angry (except for Marinelli, different story).

I'll wait til Otree forgets his route or Miles 'loses' the ball in the air again until I get angry at him.
  20. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,418 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    I don't see how anyone can get upset with this type of hire. He is not the head coach and I could care less what his record as head coach was. News flash - some people just don't have what it takes to be a head coach but they are still very good coaches. If his record at Tenn was great, then he wouldn't even be available. Somewhere along the line, the guy did good coaching work to the point that he earned a chance as a head coach. Two years of that work was alongside Garrett in Miami so he has seen him in action. I liked Robinson but something beyond anyone's control is going on there. He is either dealing with an undisclosed illness or has decided to step away from the coaching grind. The Cowboys are not dumping him for no reason. For me, I will wait and see how Dooley works out before bad mouthing the hire. The guy didn't get to be a head coach at an SEC team by not being a good coach. He may have proven he isn't head coach material but that means nothing when it comes to coaching WRs.