1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Derek Dooley WR Coach?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Tejano15, Jan 26, 2013.

1. trueblue1687

trueblue1687 Well-Known Member

1,671 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Actually not an alum at all...I went to Vandy. You sound exactly like he did...excuses galore. My opinion goes deeper than watching his games as I was privy to more stuff inside the program. He's a clueless tool...the recruiting was understandable, but he was never a serious hire in the first place...he was literally the only taker when Kiffin left (who was another mouth breather incidentally). I've never met a more clueless coach.
  2. jordan4vols

jordan4vols Active Member

139 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    Let me help some of my fellow Cowboys fans here. I grew up in Knoxville, TN and graduated from the University. Lifelong vols and Cowboys fan. Did Derek Dooley inherit an awful situation...yes he did, but the man could not be more incompetent as a football coach. Now, maybe if he is working solely with wr he may be able to do ok but he has been hounded in the local media for his lack of communication with players and much more. One recruit on a recent visit to Tennessee was talking about the new Coach...Butch Jones...he said "All the players really like him a lot. One returning player said I've talked to coach Jones more times since I started the spring semester than I did the entire time coach Dooley was here."

Who knows....he played wr in college and coached te in the pros with Saban so maybe he will be fine, but put me in the crowd of disgruntled if they hire him. I can't seem to get away from the loser.
  3. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,912 Messages
    586 Likes Received
    You've met him?
  4. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,577 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    I don't like how many times I keep hearing this...
  5. kjcmeb

kjcmeb Active Member

100 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams
    Derek Dooley informed me reports that he has taken Dallas job are not true. Said neither party has made a decision.
  6. kjcmeb

kjcmeb Active Member

100 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    mike fisher ‏@fishsports
    Real Derek Dooley #Cowboys story? He's got an agent. Agent's got a media pal. Pal dutifully (and prematurely) reports 'done deal.'
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,810 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS
    RT @JimmyHyams Derek Dooley informed me reports that he has taken Dallas job are not true. Said neither party has made a decision
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Sounds like the Cowboys are keeping him as a back burner candidate in case someone they like better (Jackson??) falls through.
  9. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,887 Messages
    608 Likes Received
    Hiring Dooley pretty much guarantees we won't be drafting Tyler Bray. He and Dooley hated each other at Tennessee and got into it a few times. Then Dooley benched him twice and Bray obviously wasn't happy about it. We probably wouldn't have drafted him anyways, but this assures it.

As for Dooley, the one thing I know about him is that he holds his players accountable. He's a no BS kind of guy and definitely brings some discipline. We'll see how this plays out.
  10. Nightshade

Nightshade Active Member

1,811 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Garrett needs his buddies around him. Typical of most coaches really. Parcells not only wanted "his" coaches but he also wanted "his" players.

Problem is some of 'garrett's guys are country clubers that can't communicate with the homies we have to draft.

Robinson did well with Dez. That was Garrett's idea and it worked. However, these reports from Tennessee have me worried the friend element in this hire was more important than the communication element.

I don't care if Garrett's brother did get a job in TB. Bennett's leaving is still on him and I'd hate to see Dez's play suffer because the new coach knows more about caviar and golf clubs than he does about how to inspire "today's youth"
  11. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao:

two peas from the same pod...
  12. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,739 Messages
    1,170 Likes Received
    Wrong! Bennett's leaving was because he sucked. He is a buffoon that has the physical skills to be one of the greats, however, he has the mind of a child and does not take football as serious as he should.

The time I saw him roll his eyes at the camera when the Garrett bro was showing him how to hold on to the ball is what got me to dis-liking him from the start.

You only have one chance to make a good first impression, and Bennett failed miserably.
  13. trueblue1687

1,671 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Unfortunately....many times.
  14. trueblue1687

1,671 Messages
    29 Likes Received

Actually, the last part of your post is completely wrong. My experiences with him were all about the legal troubles his players were in (constantly, although most were not super serious). In fact, several players were involved in a bar brawl and gang stomped (literally) an off-duty Police Officer who had been hired for security, causing a quite serious skull fracture. Dooley flatly refused any form of cooperation with the local police department and had the audacity to flop a race card when there were several witnesses to the incident. I represented another client in the fray and, when yet another attorney threatened him with being subpoened, he folded like a card table and continually pleaded with the other attorney to be spared from appearing and being exposed as a POS in open court (he's still licensed as an attorney from what he said). He's anything BUT a stand-up guy, in any facet, and by his conduct, gave tacit approval of the abhorrent conduct like the bar brawl. The players were a constant source of income due to all the trouble they had to have cleaned up.
  15. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,577 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    Wow! Great info, thanks for this.

Certainly doesn't seem like the right-kind-of-guy.
  16. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,912 Messages
    586 Likes Received
    And you've met many other coaches and have a ton of experience in coaching so you can make an informed judgement then?