1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Derek Wolfe

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jamesdojr, Feb 15, 2012.

1. jamesdojr

jamesdojr Member

650 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Is he as good as this report claims. Got this from WalterFootball.com. If we could snag him in the 2nd or 3rd where it looks like he might go.... Wow! Grab DeCastro in the first and a corner or Dontarius Poe in the 2nd....
    Arm: 32 7/8. Hand: 10 3/4.
    Projected Round (2012): 2-3.
    12/21/11: Wolfe has had an excellent senior season with 64 tackles, 19.5 tackles for a loss, two forced fumbles and 9.5 sacks. At the point of attack, he overwhelms offensive linemen with his strength and speed. Wolfe closes on the quarterback quickly and plays the run extremely well. He also has a nice repertoire of pass-rushing moves and uses a strong rip move. Entering the NFL, Wolfe has very good technique with a relentless motor. He could be an ideal 3-4 defensive end. Don't be surprised to see him move up during the draft process.
  2. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    The combine will be important for him. I see that as a huge reach for him and would be happy with him in the 5th. Here's ESPN's Draft Profile.

Production: 2

"2008: (7/0) 3-1-1 2009: (13/13) 41-8-5 2010: (12/12) 48-6.5-4 Career: 1PBU 1 FR 1FF "

Height-Weight-Speed: 3

Above average height and slightly below average bulk for a defensive tackle prospect. Excellent size for a 3-4 defensive end prospect. Timed speed is a concern but doesn't hinder him on film.

Durability: 2

Three-year starter that injured neck against Syracuse in 2010 but didn't miss any time.

Intangibles: 3

"Hard worker that's matured during his time at Cincinnati. Reportedly doesn't have a relationship with father and estranged from his mother. Moved out of stepfather's house in high school. Moved around before moving in with the family of childhood friend Logan Hoppel who is the cousin of former Bearcat Adam Hoppel. One of the reasons he chose Cincinnati over Ohio State, Michigan State and West Virginia. Versatile player that lined up at defensive end, defensive tackle and nose tackle in Cincinnati's scheme. "

Versus Run: 2

Stout for size and rarely gives ground one-on-one. Above average pad level especially considering height and flashes the ability to anchor against double teams. Flashes the ability to stack and shed blocks in time to make play in the backfield. Above average balance and tough to knock off course with angle blocks.

Pass Rush: 2

Gets under linemen and drives them back to the quarterback. Flashes effective rip and swim moves. Does an excellent job of keeping head up and tracking quarterback while working upfield. Gets hands up when sees quarterback start throwing motion. Average at best closing speed and can be a step late getting to the quarterback. Moves laterally well enough to execute line stunts but not going to shake many offensive linemen with side-to-side moves.

Quickness: 3

Average first-step quickness and may not have as much success shooting gaps at the next level. Hands are quicker than feet. Effective hand fighter that shoots hands inside and controls blockers.

Toughness/Motor: 2

Relentless would be an overstatement but an above average motor and makes plenty of effort plays. Fought through a triple team to force an intentional grounding in the fourth quarter of the 2011 Pittsburgh game. Hard nosed player that doesn't back down and plays with a bit of an edge.
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,335 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Yes I am high on him. I have seen him play many games this year. Watch his bowl game vs Vandy. He had 5 solo tackles but he was much more a force than stats show

Also see the game vs Uconn
    10 tackles and 2.5 sacks in the game vs UConn.

He isn't a JJ Watt, he is a high motor never give up guy. he has some work to do for sure. I would look at him in the 3rd if he is there.
  4. jamesdojr

jamesdojr Member

650 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Thanks for that information. Very Cool. But even that report makes it sound like he should go before the 5th... 9.5 sacks for a guy with that kind of size pretty much shows that he's definitely got a motor.

5. jamesdojr

jamesdojr Member

650 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Yeah... I read that scouting report and wondered why there isn;t more talk about him. Sounds like a real good fit for us.

6. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm a Derek Wolfe fan. I think he'd make a great 4th/5th round pick. He's an effort guy and we simply need more depth at the position anyways.
  7. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,956 Messages
    522 Likes Received
    Boy he sounds like a REALLY good fit to me. I also thought he might be a 4rth/5th rd type pick, but with the premium on dlineman he could easily go in the third.
  8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I haven't had a chance to watch much of this guy , but from what I have read , he would be a big upgrade over Spears and Coleman . It may take a couple of years for him to mature , but this defense has to have linemen that can rush the passer . It doesn't matter if the defense is a 3-4 or a 4-3 . These run-stuffing DEs are killing us .
  9. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,240 Messages
    2,873 Likes Received
    Agreed.

He might have to be snagged in the 3rd round if his numbers are good.
  10. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    For what it's worth, I have him at 127.

Late 3rd, early 4th.

13th DT/DE, still trying to categorize some people. Quick glance put him there though.

I would rather have Kheeston Randall.
  11. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I think he would be a solid pick in the third based on the limited games that I have seen . It would be a move in the right direction to address the pass rush problems without taking a risk on a guy like Brockers .
  12. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Just went throught the list of players who would play DE for us in a 3-4. Here's the players who ranked ahead of Wolfe, and graded just as well for pass rush. No one scored higher than a 2 from this list.

• Cox
    • Crick
    • Winn
    • Bequette (size questions)
    Who would you rather have between Bequette and Wolfe assuming Bequette would play end?
  13. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    IIRC, I thought it was mentioned that Dallas spoke w/Bequette about losing some weight to play 34 OLB.
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,423 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    This.
  15. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    No, we can get him much later, about 5th to 6th round:
    Name: Derek Wolfe (+) Coming off neck injury
    College: Cincinnati Number: 95
    Height: 6-5 Weight: 286
    Position: DT Pos2: DE
    Class/Draft Year: Sr/2012
    40 Time: 5.16 40 Low: 4.98 40 High: 5.30
    Projected Round: 5-6 Stock:
    Rated number 17 out of 196 DT's
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=85022&draftyear=2012&genpos=DT
  16. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Joe, I use that site as well and love the database. That's why I was confused by Walter's prediction.

That's why I put "size questions". I think he could play end though.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,953 Messages
    4,301 Likes Received
    If you have seen the kid play it is hard not to like him.

However I don't know where he will go or if the cowboys would be interested in him or not.