1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Derrick Brooks: Monte Kiffin is motivated to "earn his reputation back"

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 10, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,010 Messages
    3,952 Likes Received
    -- Charean Williams

Former Bucs linebacker Derrick Brooks said he figured the 72-year-old Kiffin would get another shot in the NFL. He just didn't expect it to be with Dallas.

"I would never have guessed Dallas two weeks ago," said Brooks, who still keeps in touch with Kiffin.

"I don't know if he has the players there yet. I hope he does," Brooks said. "I just know what we did to make our defense great. Some would say it's so simple, but at the same time, it's so complex. You always hear about Dallas, 'They've got talent. They've got talent.' Well, now it's time to roost. They can answer the question: Do they really have talent?"

Brooks compared DeMarcus Ware to Simeon Rice. Rice had 69 of his 122 sacks in his four years in Kiffin's Cover 2 defense.

"For the most part, all he's doing is going after the quarterback," Brooks said. "We know [Ware] can do that."

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...o-earn-his-reputation-back.html#storylink=cpy
  2. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    So, it's obviously a done deal?

I'm no longer mad about losing Rob Ryan. These kind of articles with these old Tampa 2 players talking and Monte Kiffin wanting to prove himself again at age 72 is pretty impressive.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,392 Messages
    2,278 Likes Received
    If you're comparing career results between Kiffin and Ryan... Well the fight's over in round 1.

Kiffin by KO.

Ryan's had one yardage top-10 defense as DC. And he's never had a scoring defense in the top-10.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,417 Messages
    6,470 Likes Received
    He's also never had anywhere near the talent Kiffin had in Tampa Bay. Not even remotely close.
  5. Boys122

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I'm not comparing anything. I'm just stating the fact that I'm fine with the move even though I was mad Ryan was let go. I know how effective his defense was.
  6. Boys122

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    No doubt about that.
  7. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,000 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    I feel the talent is definitely on the defensive side of the ball to be a consistent top 10 defense.
  8. MichaelWinicki

31,392 Messages
    2,278 Likes Received
    Well maybe Rob needs to be a little more selective about where he hangs out his shingle... at some point you're going to be judged by your record.

Just ask Jerry.
  9. Risen Star

20,417 Messages
    6,470 Likes Received
    Jerry holds the position of General Manager. His job is to acquire talent. Rob Ryan is a defensive coordinator. His job is to coach the talent on the defensive side of the ball.

It's nice and all to take shots at him in defense of the star but the same argument that was made for him when he arrived here still applies. The guy has worked with marginal talent his entire coordinating career. He had some decent talent here but really never had it all together for very long.
  10. Boys122

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Yup, and we still need to put some more pieces in place here. Safety is an issue along with another OLB, DT, DE.

And hopefully our corners can play a lot of zone coverage. But I am a firm believer if you have a strong front seven the rest of the defense will take care of itself. So let's focus more on the DL.
  11. MichaelWinicki

31,392 Messages
    2,278 Likes Received
    Like I said, maybe Ryan needs to be a little more picky about his next assignment.
  12. Risen Star

20,417 Messages
    6,470 Likes Received
    He's trying to establish himself, Mikey. Make his own name rather than being Buddy's son or Rex's brother. I don't think he can be that picky.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he has success somewhere else.
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,917 Messages
    4,782 Likes Received
    I'd agree with this. Though at some point the line between 'hasn't done it yet' and 'can't do it' gets pretty thin.
  14. MichaelWinicki

31,392 Messages
    2,278 Likes Received
    Establish himself? He's been a DC for like what 7 seasons.

He could very well have success somewhere else, but he was no great shakes in Dallas and that's why he was let go.
  15. Risen Star

20,417 Messages
    6,470 Likes Received
    Yes. Establish himself.

You said he should be more picky. As if he can write his own check on any team. He doesn't have that kind of resume yet. He's been slumming in the league with Oakland, Cleveland and Jerry's Cowboys. He's never had a good situation with the talent to be successful.

Sometimes you have to look a little deeper rather than letting a group of stats decide your opinions for you.
  16. Risen Star

20,417 Messages
    6,470 Likes Received
    I never remembered Winicki as a team apologist before. Sad to see.
  17. MichaelWinicki

31,392 Messages
    2,278 Likes Received
    :laugh1:

It's like this...

I think Ryan is a mixed bag. If the Cowboys would have kept him, I wouldn't have griped, but I can understand his firing. The same would apply to Garrett right now, if he were fired I would understand.