1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Derrick Williams Pro Day

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Oh_Canada, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    I did not find another thread talking about this, if there is my apologies.

Williams, who apparently suffered from bronchitis during the combine ran a 4.37 at his pro day and benched 18 times.

Those numbers probably put him as a high third rounder, low second rounder. I think the Cowboys should be interested, what do you guys think of him?
  2. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I would not be opposed to taking him in the 3rd round but I almost rather would have Deon Butler in the 5th or 6th.
  3. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,860 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    His pro day cleared up a lot of things that destroyed him(to the common fan and draftnik if not to scouts who knew he was very sick) at the combine.

I think he is a solid r3 guy now and I'd have no issues if we selected him.

I'll probably never champion a guy who plays in Pennsylvania though. I pretty much hate the entire state.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,044 Messages
    1,599 Likes Received
    You had no love for Tony Dorsett? :eek:
  5. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    we talked to him, so there's interest on Dallas' part
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,860 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    You can never use that as an indication because we generally talk to guys then do not draft them while drafting guys we showed zero interest in.

I'd think we would have interest but again we won't know until draft day because there is more smoke than anything right now.
  7. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,860 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    lol. not quite old enough to have championed drafting Dorsett:)

I woulda backed his son tho since he was a Dallas area high schooler who graduated about the same time as me.
  8. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I know that just because there's interest doesn't mean Dallas will definitely draft someone

but I would be less surprised if they do
  9. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,540 Messages
    553 Likes Received
    I'd rather have Butler later in the draft, I think. Though I'm not sure, yet, rather I'd be upset with a pick of Williams.
  10. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Mike Wallace would be the better value in round 5. He ran a 4.28 at 199 pounds. He's a kickreturner, and Felix Jones is too important to be back there all the time.

If you can't get Wallace or don't want to, then, Demetrius Bryd is a 6-7 round option. He ran a 4.35 and weighs 199 pounds.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas drafted one of these two guys.
  11. SLATEmosphere

SLATEmosphere Benched

9,633 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My choice would be Mike Wallace or Demetrius Byrd in the 5th/6th..I love that Wallace is a burner and can return some punts which is highly underrated for this team. Field position for us is the difference between 3 and 7 points..not to mention horrible field postion for the opposing team if we punt it.
  12. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Wallace is really interesting, he was blowing by guys all Senior week practices, and in the game too, he's really explosive, had a 40" vert, the highest broad-jump at the Combine (10'09"), 1.43 10-yard, best among WRs, a 2.45 20-yard, which is incredible

all combined in a nice 6'1" 199 package

FYI, he's speed-training with Michael Johnson
  13. SLATEmosphere

SLATEmosphere Benched

9,633 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ya his burst is what got me interested. 1.43 10-yard is extremely impressive. I would actually look at him with our 4th rounder. Who would we have returning punts?

Crayton=no threat
    Felix= Too important to the offense
    Miles=Same as Felix

We need that burner fo sho! I really don't think there's a better value for us than Mike Wallace
  14. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think he might be a better kick-returner than punt returner

but NFLDS compares him to Steve Breaston, a pretty good PR, so you never know
  15. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree with you guys about Wallace. I don't understand why this guy wouldn't be worth a 4th round pick. NFLDraftScout says 5th and rising.

Bunting has him ranked at number 100. He compared him to Darius Hayward-Bay but said Wallace made more plays last year.

Just think about this guy on the field with Felix Jones.

Just think what he would have done with that pass Crayton dropped in the playoff game. If he catches it, it's 6.
  16. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    The thing I like best about Williams is his great attitude...but Wallace is VERY intriguing.
  17. cowboys5

cowboys5 Benched

278 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i would be glad if we got him because he went to my high school eleanor roosevelt in maryland