1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Determination Personified, Young Boy With Incredible Heart

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Hoofbite, May 31, 2012.

1. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    [youtube]o6Alt2DssYc[/youtube]

Amazing.
  2. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,451 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    Cool. Great for the kids.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,971 Likes Received
    That killed me, and I loved it.
  4. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Those kids are awesome! What a great video.
  5. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,129 Messages
    1,393 Likes Received
    My heart is completely torn into two different directions on stuff like this.

Yes, it is heart-warming and inspirational. And Matt is one determined young man.

But as a youth sports coach for 20 yrs myself, I always try to find each kids strength and each one's weakness. I then try to exploit the strength and hide the weakness.

In this case it seems like it exploited his weakness. Running a distance run with bent and twisted legs seems to be asking a lot of Matt. But if track and field is what Matt wanted to do, then helping him through it was awesome.

Sometimes kids just want to be normal, .. just like the other kids, and I'm sure that means a great deal to Matt.

In our pre-game prayer, we always give thanks for our physical health, and athletic ability. Both gifts from God. Not all kids have physical health and athletic ability, .. and I try to let my kids know not to take it for granted.

See what I mean by being torn into two directions.

I will never understand why some kids can run and jump, while some have bent and twisted limbs.

Why must some bear that burden?

My heart aches for kids like Matt who just want to be able to do the things that most kids can do, that those kids just take for granted.

I hope so, .. and I am sure that someone is exploiting Matt's strength's.
  6. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,404 Likes Received
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Interesting take about hiding one's weakness. Not sure hiding is all that beneficial in everyday life because it would be much preferred to improve on one's weakness but for sports it's probably the most efficient way to go with limited practice time and commitment from the player.

I disagree about exploiting his weakness only because his weakness (physical ability) is entirely obvious and it would probably take someone all of a few seconds to recognize it having seen him for the first time. I'm not sure you can hide it other than to deny him the chance to make his own decisions.

More than anything, I think the video highlights his strength. Mental fortitude and persistance. Off the charts with this kid. While he might look at others more physically capable and think "what could be", I think there are plenty who look at him and wonder the exact same if only they had the will power that he had.

Although I doubt most would trade places, I have to think there are probably a good number of people who are a bit ashamed to think of their shortcomings in a perfectly capable body when all they had to do was truly apply themselves.

I know what you mean.
  8. danielofthesaints

danielofthesaints Well-Known Member

1,056 Messages
    109 Likes Received
  9. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
  10. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,404 Likes Received
  11. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Then go to the link
  12. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,404 Likes Received
    No, I was trying to be a ******** with a boring crapload...as if the heart of an elementary kid with cerebral palsy needs any more description than to tell it is inspiring.

Sometimes specificity beyond common sense is purely STUPID...but if one has to ring tap to point out a great act of love by kids....then forget it.
  13. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Im sorry. I meant it like a continuation of your post. Like you want this...go to the link. I went and felt the same as you. Sorry for the confusion.
  14. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,404 Likes Received
    No problem...I was just explaining why I posted as I did. It was pulled off this board once. And to that mod, the message was meant. As a great message was provided if interested. You know...
  15. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,590 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    That definitely brought a tear to my eye. Great motivation for those other kids. It was like today at the grocery store when this lady at the next register did not have enough money to pay for her groceries and I could tell she was on some kind of government assistance. There were several people waiting as some were getting very impatient as the lady said can you put the groceries on the side while I go to my car to get some money. I noticed that some of the people now were getting very upset (rolling their eyes, himming and hawing, etc.). I notice that she was not buying any alcohol or cigarettes but just basic food. I turned around and asked the cashier how much she owes and she told me. I handed the cashier the money to the look of bewilderment of the other customers. She looked at me and said are you sure. I told her without a doubt. I left the store before the lady came back in. My little girl who was with me told me that was nice thing that I did. The satisfaction of my little girl being proud of her dad was more than the cost of the groceries in my eyes.
  16. djmajestik

djmajestik Member

964 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Not sure why this post was pulled, but thanks for posting CC! It was a GREAT video, just bothers me that posts about apocalyptic face eaters and zombie killers gets page after page of replies, and this one has just a hand full.

Truly inspiring, it actually made me want to go out and do something for kids that are challenged! Thanks for posting!!
  17. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,196 Messages
    2,011 Likes Received
    Thanks for sharing.
  18. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,196 Messages
    2,011 Likes Received

What a gracious thing to do. And a memory made for your little daughter that her dad taught her one day about helping others. I absolutely love that!
  19. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,971 Likes Received
    The video was not pulled, it was merged into an existing thread, as this one is. So the story has now been posted 3 times.
  20. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,129 Messages
    1,393 Likes Received
    All I mean about hiding weakness and exploiting strengths in sports is, in this case, .. maybe he could run the 200 or 400 instead of making him run 800 meters.

His condition prevented him from training or preparing to run 800 meters.

Exaggerating here, ... but why not make him run a mile, or two?

See my point?

A good example from my coaching was, .. I had a kid who played shortstop in Little League because he had great hands and great glove. He was a heavy/stocky kid. That was fine there because the field was smaller, .. but when he moved up to my team and the field was regulation high school size, he could not move laterally well enough to play shortstop. He couldn't get to the balls in the hole to his left and right. His Dad, grandpa and his uncles wanted him to play shortstop, .. but I ended up moving him to 3rd base.

Hiding his weakness and showcasing his strengths.

He was, IMO, the best 3rd baseman in the league. His Grandpa is still a little 'cold' with me.

You are right here, there is no way to hide Matt's condition entirely.