1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

Devin Taylor Scouting Report

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Feb 9, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

20,326 Messages
    6,936 Likes Received
    Prospect: Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina
    Height: 6’7”
    Weight: 275 lbs
    Grade: 6.42 (Grading Scale)

Scouting Report:

+Terrific athlete with impressive closing speed
    +Rare build among defensive end prospects, still has room to fill out his frame as well
    +/-Flashes burst off the snap but isn’t entirely consistent with it
    -Uncomfortable and awkward footwork in space, really struggles to change directions cleanly
    -Top heavy player with some balance issues related to his height, ends up on the ground too often

+Extremely high motor player who is always pursuing the ball until the whistle and makes a high number of hustle plays
    +Very ball aware player who can find it quickly
    -Lacks great anticipation skills for play recognition and feel for the intentions of blockers

Pass Rush:
    +/-Has bullrush potential, but his power rush is criminally underutilized on tape
    +Height becomes an advantage when he utilizes an effective swim move, can easily get his arm over the top of blockers
    +Uses long arms effectively in getting them into passing lanes, can eliminate passing windows entirely
    -Uninventive pass rusher on the edge, falls into the trap of trying to simply run past tackle around the corner all too often
    -Limited in edge rush ability by stiff hips and lack of combination moves

Run Support:
    +Has ability to occupy and control multiple blocker at once on the edge, can translate that inside with lower pad level and more bulk
    +Likes to split gaps when playing from the inside, does so to good effect with high motor and burst

2. Maxmadden

Maxmadden Well-Known Member

1,642 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    Devin "Too Tall" Taylor
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

10,118 Messages
    2,585 Likes Received
    Really reminds me of Chandler Jones last year.

Might be someone to consider.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

23,533 Messages
    13,375 Likes Received
    Devin Taylor is a difficult player for me to evaluate.

He appears to have the physical ability required and looks great on some plays; however, he does not consistently get the results that I would expect.

Also, he sometimes appears awkward and makes some quirky moves.

He has this move were he appears to be doing a spin, but he stops half-way through and ends up with his back against the OLineman. I noticed this in a couple of SC games and thought he just got stopped mid-spin; however, I noticed him doing it again the the Senior Bowl. It appears to be intentional and he seems to be trying to push the OL from this position.

I compare it to the way that Herschel Walker would finish runs. He would end up pushing the defender for a few extra yards with his back against them. It was the reason that his shoulder pads were extra long in the back.

I can understand why a RB would use this move, but it's very odd for a DLineman.