1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dexter thread

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Oct 3, 2011.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,687 Messages
    2,706 Likes Received
    I know we had some others but let's start fresh.

First episode was ok. The snake thing was pretty wild.
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I didn't get to watch it. I had it set for the DVR, but the DVR wasn't working.

Hmm. Let me describe the **** that Cablevision now uses as a DVR. The cable box doesn't have a hard drive in it. They (Cablevision) records everything and you just mark what you want to watch and can watch it later. Last night, it wasn't available so I couldn't watch it. I don't know if it was even recorded, I just couldn't access the service.

Let me tell you. The service sucks. You can't rewind live TV. You have to already be recording it. :banghead: What kind of **** is that? It's EPIC FAIL.

/sigh
  3. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,099 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Typical first episode.

Brings us up to speed on what the characters have been up to.

I thought it was ok as well. Think Tom Hanks' son and Dexter have a lot in common since I believe Edward J. Olmos is a "dark passenger".
  4. BrAinPaiNt

59,687 Messages
    2,706 Likes Received
    I do not know if he is a teacher or a dark passenger. It would be cool if he is indeed both since we have not seen that with the other "bad guys" from previous seasons.
  5. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Active Member

4,092 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Homeland was also interesting.
  6. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,607 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    Interesting theory, I hadn't even thought of that. The Olmos character is like Dexter's dad, just in the opposite way?? Nice.
  7. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,641 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    It was alright. I'll still watch the show but it's definitely fallen off.

Too much random coincidental stuff happens that is too important to the plot sometimes.

Dexter just happens to be going through a religious thing, and the killers are going to be religion based? It gets old.

Random guy in Kevlar vest walks into a bar and starts shooting. Will likely be completely irrelevant to the plot, other than some storyline based on Deb and being recorded doing it. Who knows what they'll do with this though, but come on.

Still waiting for a random Car Crash to come a long and progress the storyline, like normal.
  8. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Seriously, Tom Hanks' son is in this? That's great news. I really liked him in "The Good Guys."

The wife and I just started watching Dexter this weekend. We are starting from the beginning, with Season 1.

Not sure what took us so long. Anyhow, as everyone in this thread must already know, it is pretty great...
  9. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good first episode. Dexter is a great show, but the writing leaves a little to be desired. There are WAY TOO many twists, that become super predictable. Of course him getting stabbed ended up not being a big deal. I wish this show would become LESS PREDICTABLE. It's the same formula every year too. Some new villain comes along, Dexter somehow relates, but ends up killing him.
  10. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,099 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    The big tease and probably climax of the series will be Deb finding out about Dex. Obviously, they'll hold that scenario until last.

I really thought at the end of last season would be the best way to introduce that subplot but they chickened out.

I've enjoyed every season with season 4 being my favorite. John Lithgow was magnificent.
  11. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Alright. I caught up and saw the first show and then watched last nights.

I'm liking it so far except one part. The main season story line. The one with Edward James Olmos. I like Olmos and I like the premise behind the plot here, but thus far it fees like a they are trying to stuff a square cog in a round hole. The guy that plays opposite Olmos doesn't seem to fit either. He doesn't even look the part.

What are your opinions on it. Hopefully it gets better.

I've gotta say. Michael C. Hall was the perfect person for the role of Dexter. He fits better than most roles cast for shows and movies. Indiana Jones is one of my favorite characters, and I think Michael C. Hall fits Dexter better than Harrison Ford fit Indiana. That IMO is saying A LOT.
  12. BrAinPaiNt

59,687 Messages
    2,706 Likes Received
    That's Tom Hanks son playing the role with Edward James Olmos.

So far his character (Hanks) reminds me a little of Fiennes character in the Red Dragon movie. Where he does not want to hurt his girlfriend...in dexter I can see the character not wanting to hurt his sister but olmos making him do it. Just get that vibe.

The next episode looks pretty wild where they seem to make the horsemen of the apocalypse scene with human bodies on horses.
  13. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Yeah, I saw that. Good stuff, but how do you make something like that appear without being seen deploying it? hah It will be interesting to watch.
  14. BrAinPaiNt

59,687 Messages
    2,706 Likes Received
    Only way I could think is to have a horse trailer set up somewhere and then have it set so the door/gate of the trailer opens at a certain time.

Either way it should be interesting.

I still don't see them topping John Lithgow's character...he was great in his role.
  15. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I haven't seen that season yet. I've only seen season 1 and last season.

John Lithgow is an awesome actor. Especially playing a psycho. :laugh2:
  16. BrAinPaiNt

59,687 Messages
    2,706 Likes Received
    You have missed one of the best IMO.
  17. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm going to get to it! Last time I looked Netflix only streamed the first season which the wife bought me on DVD.
  18. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    They couldn't have found a better foil for Dexter than Lithgow. That role was perfect for him.
  19. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

2,481 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    I'm loving this season so far. Already liking it more than Season 5, which was the weakest season for me. Still, Dexter is fantastic, even in a 'weaker' season.

Loving the Brother Sam character.

Oh, and to the guy who only watched season 1 and 5--- what the?! How can you do that?? Go back and watch the whole series. It's just incredible. I'd rank the seasons: 1, 4, 2, 3, 5.
  20. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,825 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Season 4 was the best season of Dexter. I'd rank them: