1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dez Bryant falling to cowboys in draft maybe! would be a steal!

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Oct 28, 2009.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    After being ruled ineligible for the rest of 2009 by the NCAA, Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant is expected to eventually declare for the 2010 NFL Draft.

Bryant won't play for the Cowboys after initially being banned for lying about inappropriate interactions with NFL employee Deion Sanders. The lost year can't help, but we doubt it significantly affects Bryant's stock. The 6'2/220-pound true junior is an incredible leaper with a massive catch radius and a physically dominant style of play. He's an easy top-25 prospect.

Remember Jerry Jones loves rumors and knows deion sanders really well, deion could tell him about bryant; what do you zoners think if bryant falls to cowboys in draft and he is there?
  2. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

4,648 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It would probably look real bad if we did draft him. Maybe we should have Deion go talk to some other high first round prospects - hoping they drop to us.
  3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,157 Messages
    1,335 Likes Received
    I think for us to take a receiver in the 1st round it would have to be as a luxury pick or that the other OT's, NT's, and Safeties just aren't worth a 1st rounder.

Also if Brandon Spikes were to be available somehow I would take him over Dez Bryant.
  4. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,158 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    We already have a #1 WR decoy in RW #11
  5. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You have to pull the trigger in that case... in his last 16 games, he's had 104 receptions for 1803 yards (17.9 average) and 23 TDs, and 20 punt returns for 416 yards (20.8 average), and 3 more TDs... throw in 6 kickoff returns for 143 yards, and that totals up to 130 plays in those 16 games, for 2352 yards and 26 TDs... 26 TDs, in 16 games, and 147 yards per game receiving and returning (on just a little over 8 touches per game)... and over 18 yards per touch...

The thing is, he's probably even better than a top 25 prospect, he could well be a top 10 prospect...
  6. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    i agree with that, but you always take the best player regardless of position when its your turn to draft, the one thing you dont do is reach for a player

look at it when we drafted felix jones, then we drafted choice in later rounds, same thing with mike jenkins, then we drafted scandrick
  7. Pottsville Maroons

Pottsville Maroons Member

697 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I still don't quite get why he's still suspended since his interactions weren't "inappropriate", last I heard. I get that he lied, but if that's all they have on him, I don't understand the 1 calendar yr suspension.

That said, can Jerry justify spending their #1 on WRs in 2 consecutive years? And, if he's so high on Ogletree, will he feel the need to draft Bryant?
  8. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,515 Messages
    547 Likes Received
    I'm a huge Bryant fan. Huge. But I'd much rather we get a LT or a FS in the draft in the first round.

If we had two first round picks? Then I'd most likely be all over the idea of getting Bryant and a LT or FS.

Of course I wouldnt be upset with a combo of LT and FS in the first round if we'd had two first rounders either. :)
  9. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,298 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    Why would Bryant fall in the draft? He did get to play in some games this year and he will do well at the combine or his pro day. I don't think this suspension will affect his draft status. I don't know where he is slated to go, but it won't change because of this suspension.
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,814 Messages
    888 Likes Received
    Dez Bryant will be a productive NFL player. This team is desperate for a cant miss LT or any cant miss O Lineman.
  11. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,162 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    I think Dallas has to take a LT in the first round, and am not a big believer in the "best player available" theory. Filling positions through the draft is too important to just say "Well we don't need this position, and have good depth there, but...he is the best player available". All that said, you can't pass Dez. He'd compete as a #2 receiver with any team day one, and would be your full time kick returner. I'd say he's one of the safest picks in this draft.

I don't see a chance in hell of him dropping out of the teens, but you'd have to pull the trigger if he did.
  12. SLATEmosphere

SLATEmosphere Benched

9,633 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Still love Dez Bryant, but at this point with the emergence of Austin, he's fallen off my board a little.

I think a LT with Anthony Davis is the way to go in the 1st. Maybe trade down a few spots to pick up an extra 3rd.

Use that extra 3rd to move up in the 2nd and grab Mardy Gilyard.

Davis,Gilyard in the same draft!? I will need some new pants after that.
  13. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, I bet our scouts and Jones have no idea who Dez Bryant is. Hopefully Deion will tip them off.

:rolleyes:
  14. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't buy into the "you can't spend your number 1 on a position in consecutive years" argument... you take your first round pick and use it on the best talent available at that pick, period...

Though the Boys look to be building a nice receiver corps at the moment, add a Bryant (who's a possession receiver who can get downfield, in spite of having average speed) to Austin, Williams, Crayton and Ogletree and you've got a scary good, nearly bulletproof unit...

If Bryant falls to where the Boys are likely to be drafting, then he'll almost certainly be the best player left on the board... truth is, I don't see him lasting much past pick 10-15...
  15. Silverstar

Silverstar Active Member

3,946 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    We already got our trio at WR in Williams, Austin and Crayton and I think Ogletree could beat out Hurd next year as well.

Blazers like Trindon Holliday, Jacoby Ford, or Brandon Banks for returns, would be welcome additions in the 4th or 6th rounds though.
  16. romo2to

romo2to New Member

201 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dez Bryant is probably better than all 4 of those guys.
  17. Silverstar

Silverstar Active Member

3,946 Messages
    12 Likes Received

Just like TO right?