1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Dez Bryant: I'm A Lot Stronger, Faster, & Quicker Than Last Year

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Hostile, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,393 Messages
    1,441 Likes Received
    Dez Bryant: I'm 'a lot stronger' after off-season workout program

7/15/2012 12:16:28 PM

Although he appeared to be in outstanding shape last season, Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant said last month that he wasn’t at his best, Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News reports. A deep thigh bruise in the season opener prevented him from ever playing at 100 percent, according to the 23-year-old Oklahoma State product.

This season seems to be headed down a better path for Bryant. Having a full season to work with Cowboys strength coach Mike Woicik, arguably the best in the business, Bryant has admittedly gotten “a lot stronger.”

In attendance for the Red Bull 7-on-7 high school football tournament Friday at Jesuit College Preparatory School of Dallas, Bryant spoke about the impact of the off-season workout program.

“It affected me big time,” Bryant said. “I feel much quicker. I’m coming out of my breaks faster. I got in shape real quick. I know all the other guys have been going through the same workouts, so I’m pretty sure they feel the same exact way.

“I feel like the team is just really ready to go. I’m not going to predict anything, but I know for a fact that we’re ready to go.”
  2. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If true (I don't have any doubts) he is going to have one great year. :)
  3. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    It sounds like Dez is maturing before our eyes.

It may make sense to extend Dez before too long if he convincingly shows he can be relied upon both on and off the field. This offseson has been quiet for him and that is a good thing compared to last offseason and all the kerfuffle about wearing his jeans low, getting booted out of the mall and then the issue about unpaid jewellery. Then came the season and the issues with risking injury (no thigh pads, refusal to go down) and the limited number of routes he was allowed to run according to Couchscout. He really seemed to turn a corner in the last quarter of the season and I hope it carries through.

I like the fact that he has been out of the news and is working hard with Woicik. I am also happy that he is avoiding predictions - predictions are for losers, IMO. You prove things on the field and not by yapping to reporters.

Next offseason should be a big one and I hope Jerry has seen the light about extending players early - Lee, Dez and Tyron need to be locked up fairly soon as they are the new core.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,833 Messages
    5,407 Likes Received
    Hopefully he's working in the film room just as hard. Romo needs to trust him before he'll ever reach his potential in this offense.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,315 Messages
    2,725 Likes Received
    Good news. Hopefully he and most can avoid injury.
  6. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I can't stand this talk. Seeing is believing for me.

You can't deny Bryant has been productive, though, in spite of all the injuries. Hard to find too many two-year players with 17 touchdowns.

I gotta keep reminding myself it took Michael Irvin three years before he finally got how to be a pro in his fourth season.
  7. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,261 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    Like it or not, it's the offseason. It is what it is. Nevertheless, it's great to hear and I'm very excited. How bout it?
  8. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think the issues of film room and classroom study have been an overriding concern for all No. 88 watchers, to date. But all the positive reports (as in the OP) suggest... and I get the real sense that... Dez is better and more focused on both his game and his career with the Dallas Cowboys than ever before... in virtually every way heading into this season.

Looking for Bryant and Romo to have a fantastic year together. Romo will do his part, I have no doubt. If Dez steps up as I expect... WHOA!!!! look out.
  9. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

2,876 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    Well, most importantly, it seems he purchased a belt.

:laugh2:
  10. DA FAN

DA FAN Active Member

1,081 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dez, How about smarter?
  11. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Football smarts is what I care about most with Dez, in that particular department. Hope he keeps hanging around guys like Witten, Romo and Phillips, as he was seen to be doing in a recent photo in another thread.

That should help the football smarts, I would think. That and film room study, like Risen Star suggested.
  12. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,516 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Nothing to see here. Just more hatin on Jurasek.

j/k...
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,253 Messages
    2,808 Likes Received
    Dez will be a beast this year.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,616 Messages
    1,428 Likes Received
    I had a bad deep thigh bruise one years ago - they are brutal. Dez to step it up this year... 02.
  15. Risen Star

19,833 Messages
    5,407 Likes Received
    I had one too. I tried to work through it. Some of the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. Like someone was stabbing you in the thigh.

Took a long time to heal too.
  16. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,550 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    He wasn't doing that at all. He was comparing his condition to last year, when Woicik was here too.
  17. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,742 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    What happened? Did a 40 oz. fall on your lap?

:confused:
  18. myslamsareolder

myslamsareolder Member

188 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    No doubt, I crashed on my roadbike going 25mph. I slammed so hard on my thigh that it was purple, blue and yellow for 3 months. From my hip to my knee. I had to ride home 20would miles after too. I also fractured my elbow. Even after the color disappeared, it was another 3-4 months before the feeling of a bruise went away. If it wasn't for the elbow, which lasted 11 months, It would have been the worst pain I have ever felt. Surprisingly, after a week riding bike didn't hurt, walking was a different story though. /lifestory
  19. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,046 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    This is really good news.
  20. Risen Star

19,833 Messages
    5,407 Likes Received
    Well that is much worse than my injury.