1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dez Bryant reaches plea deal on mom assault charges

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by DallasCowpoke, Nov 14, 2012.

1. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,619 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Sounds more like a diversion we have up here than a conditional discharge although both would be considered plea deals in our system.
  2. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Really?

Maybe he took the deal to save a bag of kittens!

Maybe he took the seal to stop[ global climate change.

Maybe he took the deal because he was guilty. Oops! Should not have gone contrary to gansta love.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    Great things were worked out in the justice system now what does the league do? Hopefully nothing more than a warning
  4. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,600 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    Pretty much the best explanation is always the simplest.

His mom called the cops. They found her complaint credible. So did the DA. He is assigned to diversion as his punishment.

Now isn't that simpler than some crazy "she made it up as part of a shakedown" theory?
  5. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What I find funny is ANYONE trying to act as if they actually know what really occurred.
  6. AbeBeta

25,600 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    That's the job of the police and the DA. You can clearly see from their actions that they do believe the mom's story. That isn't acting if as if I know what occurred -- it is using simple LOGIC to draw a conclusion.
  7. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    Yeah we call it a pre-trial diversion here where I practice. I suspect that's what it's called in Dallas, but it could be something different. And I think if Dez were convicted he would likely get a term of probation. The only difference is he doesn't have to go into court and say he's guilty or go through a trial, assuming he holds up his end of the deal.

When we do a pre-trial diversion, it may include the signing of a judicial confession, but it usually doesn't require a defendant to go into court and enter a plea of guilty. That's the only reason I don't consider it a plea. Still cutting a deal... I may be splitting hairs a bit.
  8. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Yeah, because if he does they can still charge him with assault because the statute of limitations runs for 2 years. So they have that long to charge him. Not that it'd hold much water if they did at that point though. But still...
  9. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    You mean the crackhead? :rolleyes:
  10. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,504 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    LOL his odds are about 50-50 and the DA knows it.
  11. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    The statute of limitations isn't an issue here.
  12. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    oh, I'm sorry, I forgot about the fact that if the police and DA think you did something, that AUTOMATICALLY means that you are guilty. my bad.....
  13. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,940 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    There is a lot more to the story. There isn't a "simplest" explanation for this situation...
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,885 Messages
    7,630 Likes Received
    Personally, I'm so tired of this story, but one thing I thought was interesting on the topic: Dez was asked, now that a deal had been reached, how much of a distraction this off the field stuff was, and he replied that it, frankly, was a bit distracting and that he's happy to be back on the field and able to focus on football. Exactly what you'd expect him to say in the circumstance, but, coupled with being removed from the return game, I wonder if we're going to see an improvement in Dez's technique at the WR position. It'd be a nice lift to the team right now if this helps him focus better on the little things that have kept him from being a player you have to game plan around here early in the season.
  15. AbeBeta

25,600 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    That's more about you fantasizing other aspects.

But let's play. What "more" could there be? His mom asked for money for drugs? If so and Dez laid hands on her, it is still a crime.
  16. AbeBeta

25,600 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    You can be a crackhead and still be the victim of a crime. The police and DA's office likely have considerable experience dealing with crackheads and other less than credible people. That they found the evidence and her story compelling means that it did not set off their BS detectors.
  17. trickblue

28,940 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    This is why people don't go out on a limb around here... too much condescending rhetoric from posters...

I happen to be from Lufkin and know people close to the situation, that's as far as I am going...

I'm not "fantasizing" about anything and your "more" assumptions aren't even close...

Just because you find it amusing to talk down to people like they are know-nothing arses, doesn't shield you from actually being one...
  18. AbeBeta

25,600 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    Oh boy another "I know a guy who knows a guy" stuff. Come with facts 'blue, not the old "I know better but won't tell you"
  19. AbeBeta

25,600 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    So let me be a little more direct here. Is this generally the sort of deal that someone who feels they can avoid conviction in a trial takes? I realize that not all cases are the same - but give me a general answer.
  20. trickblue

28,940 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Exactly what I mean... and, no, I won't...