1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dez not living up to expectations? really

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Prossman, Oct 10, 2012.

1. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    As far as the route everyone is harping on as evidence that Dez "doesn't know the playbook or how to run his routes".. they have already explained what happened, as i've related several times in this thread.

What its not is justification for those still riding on the playbook and route running trains. The problem is the entire offense.. no one is in sync with each other. Its nothing specific to Dez at all if anyone bothers to pay attention. We simply can't get this unit to play together effectively.
  2. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    ..and that's the point, right there.

You don't even have a clue how many drops he has this year, but since he had one bad game where he dropped a couple.. even admitting you have no idea what the actual facts are, you come out with the "he's dropping balls at an alarming rate" bs.

Not suprised, but it gets old.

Also, saying he made the wrong read is inaccurate, too. But don't let me interrupt your lecture, professor.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,523 Messages
    2,211 Likes Received
    I didn't know exactly how many he had in the Chicago game until the article came out, I just knew he had more than enough. I knew he had one in Seattle and it wasn't until I looked at the film that I saw the ball he should have held onto.

What's your point? I don't have to break out my journal and track each one to know he's dropping more balls now than he has at any other point. Has he not?

Half the games thus far. Point me to another stretch in his career where that's even been close to the case.

And FYI, my response to the Witten post was more about me not caring about Witten circumstances and that anything Witten has done is entirely irrelevant because what Witten does has no impact on what Dez does. Not to mention, I freely admit I'm giving Witten a pass. I suppose he's earned that. If at some point in time Dez is able to have a career like Witten's I'll be more than willing slide him the pass too.

As far as things getting old I think the perpetual defense for players who aren't living up to their billing is getting pretty old. Dez Bryant says his drops were unacceptable and he's being a responsible person. Other fans say he's dropping too many balls and that fan's some sort of agenda-driven idiot.
  4. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    He dropped too many balls in the Chicago game.. in that one game, he dropped too many balls.

That doesn't all of a sudden make him a guy who drops passes at a TO rate. Its one game in his career.

Dez had like 65 catches for almost 1000 yards and 9 TD's last year in his sophomore season. That's hardly "not living up to his billing".
  5. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,155 Messages
    2,575 Likes Received
    He's the worst WR ever selected in Dallas.

/sarcasm
  6. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,155 Messages
    2,575 Likes Received
    Yes it is, haven't you read the Internet scouts here? He's the worst WR strapping on a helmet on Sundays in the entire league.
  7. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,398 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Great OP. I disagree however.

Stats don't always tell the story.

Watching the games makes all the difference (and understanding/knowing football).

I think the kid has all the potential in the world. He is not great, he does not show that he is focused, and not for nothing...he really is not put in a situation to shine on this offense.

I do like his potential...but that means nothing if he doesn't embrace it. I am hoping that he finds it next season.
  8. Sampson

Sampson Member

109 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    "* Only two teams have dropped more passes than Dallas' dozen. Tight end Jason Witten (five) and receiver Dez Bryant (four) top the league in that category."
    ESPN's Tim MacMahon

Not good so far
  9. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,876 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    why is he third option? is it because he doesn't know his assigments? not run the right routes? etc.

he is the third option (if that) because he doesn't do his job well. if he did, he would be the first option.

and how does OC doesn't get him the ball? I saw him drop 4 balls in the bears game. saw him have a mis-read with his QB (film study). the OC puts him on the field. asks him to run his routes. get open. if he does, romo throws him the ball.

come on dude, this is too much of a dez apology if I have ever seen one.
  10. CowboysFaninDC

2,876 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    the other side of the coin is that if there isn't anybody else to throw to, then defenses will double green. yet he still makes catches and plays.
  11. CowboysFaninDC

2,876 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    lets make one thing clear. Dez is not a great player. he hasn't done anything to deserve that accolade.

what dez has is potential. un-realized potential.

if he was a great player then he would show more consistency and not have horrible games like this last game.

like it or not he is making a lot of mistakes. mental mistakes he is in his third year. we have all seen him disappear in games. we know he is inconsistent. we know his film study has been questioned. he is in his third year and he still makes fundamental mistakes. that's concerning. great players don't

does he have natural ability? yes. but that makes you good. not great.
  12. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Certainly, you realize how this isn't entirely accurate i would hope. You can't possibly think that everytime Dez is open he gets the ball?

He sure wasn't the third option during the Bears game though. I'd like to see how many targets he has this year compared to Miles or Witten.
  13. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Did you see somewhere that i argued he was a great player?

He is certainly making some mistakes, but who on this offense isn't? I can forgive mistakes as long as he learns from them and continues to work hard to get better. I doubt we'll see another multiple drop game from him for awhile.
  14. CowboysFaninDC

2,876 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    not that often.
  15. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:

..and may i ask, what makes you think that?
  16. CowboysFaninDC

2,876 Messages
    139 Likes Received

they are comparing dez to pearson and irvin. certainly two great players. they are projecting him to be on the same path. they are putting the annointing oil before he deserve it. the body of work todate, compared to other WRs of this ERA doesn't support him projecting to a great player.

and you are on the bandwagon, defending dez.

dez is good.

not on the path to be great as yet.

he is got ways to go. has the potential, ability, but will he realize it?

not so sure.
  17. CowboysFaninDC

2,876 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    same thing that makes you say he is open often!!!! what makes you say that?
  18. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,442 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    It's not just stats. Okay, I'll say it: Dez is an idiot.
  19. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Im defending Dez' production so far.. yes. Whatever label you want to throw on it, "good", "great", "grand", "wonderful", "smelly".. is up to you, but in just his second year he had 65 catches 1000 yards and 9 TD's. He's not nearly as far behind the pace as some of you think.

I asked where i said he was great.. your answer is nowhere, and that is correct. Im just not going to act like he's a complete bust so far even if you want to try and make that seem like a reasonable argument with your distorted perspective.
  20. CowboysFaninDC

2,876 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    did I say every time? but if he gets open, Romo will get him the ball. the notion that ROmo doesn't like Dez, or doesn't trust him, etc. is just laughable. an argument made by the dez defending camp.

Romo, witten, etc. all want to win. they don't play favorites. never seen people say witten is open and Romo doesn't throw him the ball. !!! certainly there are times that he is open and the ball goes somewhere else. same with Austin.

we saw last year Robinson come in, get opportunities. get open and get the ball. did romo have a thing for robinson!!!??

he is the third option!!! maybe if he played better, he would become the first option. the notion of being a first, second or third option is just too funny.

Dez was drafted to be the first option. he has not been able to sieze it. his game is not there yet.