1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dez not living up to expectations? really

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Prossman, Oct 10, 2012.

1. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I watch tape. :cool:

lol

No, seriously though.. every WR in the league is open at some point on like 90-95 percent of the routes they run to be honest. The key is getting the ball there in the small window when they do come open.. but to say Dez just isn't getting open at all is hogwash. He comes out of his breaks very crisply and gets alot of seperation most of the time.

(This is according to the routes i've seen on tv and also what an opposing team's NFL scout has said, too.)
  2. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,864 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    not as far behind, but certainly WRs in the recent draft have surpassed him, players like Jones, Green, etc.

I didn't say he was bad. I said he was good. but some of the folks here want to compare him to some of the greatest players in history of NFL, making a case that he is on his path to being great.

he is improving. but expectations have been higher for a player that was nabbed to be a top 10 talent. dropped because of off field issues. he is the opportunity of playing with some great players. he gets a little of one-on-one opportunties, yet he doesn't seem to sieze it to take his game to the next level.

nothing wrong with his current production. but people need to stop putting him in canton and comparing him to some of those that are already there.
  3. CowboysFaninDC

2,864 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    so do I.

and when did I say he doesn't get open at all? you are trying to change the argument? he does get open. he makes catches. but he is not irvin. he is not pearson. right now, he is not green. or julio jones. he is not dominating.

and to blame romo, or witten or austin for some of his short comings is just not the right argument.

also, to argue that he is always open as you have, is also wrong.
  4. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Wow.. keep setting yourself up those strawmen to knock down. Debates are easy when you don't worry about actual facts arn't they'? Just as i never said that Dez is a great player, i've never made the juvenile argument that "Romo doesn't like Dez" either. If you, at some point, actually want to talk about what i have contended.. come back and let me know, k?

:)

I also like how you contradicted yourself later in the post, screaming that Dez is a third option and then saying that the idea of a first second or third option is laughable. You need some time to collect your thoughts, it seems.
  5. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    You certainly love your stawmen.. may i suggest weaving a hat for yourself when you're done knocking them all down?

Good grief..

:laugh2:

You go from "he doesn't get open very much at all" to "he does get open" to "he's not ALWAYS OPEN!"

Spin, spin, spin..
  6. CowboysFaninDC

2,864 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    not pointing you out. there is plenty of people who do that. as a dez defender I guess you get lumped in.

some even have it in their signature.

my point is we need to be realistic in talent evaluation of our team across the board. see the players for what they are, and make harsh decisions as hard as they may be.

dez has great potential. he is progressing, but not as quickly as you expect some one of his talent level. he has yet to be dominating and the focus of a defense or our offense. that's on dez.

couple of years ago, I made the same argument about Felix. I didn't think he was great, despite the few 80+ yards he had made. am I saying dez is going down Felix's path? no.

parcells has a saying, by the 3rd year you are what you are. this is Dez's third year. and he is still inconsistant. is it possible for him to have a great great year? absolutley. but seems like inconsistancy will define him for now. proof is in the pudding, the films, etc. if we know that, then fine and we can move forward knowing how to use him, take advantage of him, put him in positions that he can succeed, because on his own, he hasn't shown that he has the ability. nothing wrong with that. doesn't mean he doesn't have value and can't contribute.

instead, some throw out stats, put punch lines and try to defend dez and make him into being something he is not and point finger at others areas. that's putting the blinders on and wishing something to be different than it is and you set yourself up for disappointment.

is it possible that he will grow out of this? absolutley. anything is possible.

but so far, my degree of confidence is 50/50. not 80/20. why? because I continue to see him make the same mistakes as he did the first year, the second year and not the 3rd year.
  7. CowboysFaninDC

2,864 Messages
    130 Likes Received

when did I say he doesn't get open at all?

I argue your notion of him being open 95% of the time.

and I quote

"every WR in the league is open at some point on like 90-95 percent of the routes they run to be honest. The key is getting the ball there in the small window when they do come open.. but to say Dez just isn't getting open at all "
  8. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I actually have to run, so i don't have anymore time for this.. but when you're all finished with your exaggeration, hyperbole, and strawmen.. you'll actually come to realize that we agree on alot of things about Dez.

He's a good WR, who has a ways to go to be great, but is working hard to realize that potential despite the mistakes he is making. When it comes down to it, alot of people are making mistakes this year on our offense, including a very good QB in Tony Romo. Everyone has to be better across the board on offense for us to start gelling and even have a chance to see the postseason this year.

As for Dez, getting seperation is something he actually excells at. He doesn't get the ball nearly every time he is open, some of that because Romo won't throw certain balls, some because Romo doesn't have time to throw certain balls, and some because the trust isn't completely there between the two yet. Also some just because of the general progression of reads that QB's go through.. but the point is, we agree on the basic points.

Dez is a good receiver, not great yet, but has all the potential in the world to be great and is working hard to be there. His production in his second year was right in line with some of the best WR's in the league and he has to continue to grow from that. As Tony Romo said, "Dez just has to keep doing what he's doing, working hard to become a better receiver every day."
  9. CowboysFaninDC

2,864 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    read your own posts first, then get back to me.

you have been all over the place dude.

see the truth.

but it seems you want to argue, for the sake of arguing.
    if you ACTUALLY read my posts then you would see I have said the same thing you just blurted out. dez is good. he is not great. he has the potential to be great.

but seems like you are hell bent on just arguing and wanting someone to just say you are right....

I guess that's your kick
  10. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,244 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    Here we go with the numbers. Sigh.

I don't know if Dez can be counted on down the stretch. I don't care about the numbers. The numbers alone don't tell the story. Same with Romo.

Has this what has become of the Cowboys, that their fans have to now elevate numbers over post season accomplishments? :(
  11. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

Ok, bud. Catch ya later..
  12. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Sadly, when we arn't a postseason team, we can't grade postseason accomplishments, so we have to go on production.

The numbers never tell the whole story though, i agree.
  13. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,681 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received
    Instead of comparing meaningless stats from different eras, why not judge his demonstrated IQ to that of an amoeba.

Therein lies Dez' problem. The dude has virtually no idea what he's doing other than see-ball-catch-ball, which often isn't enough for the NFL.
  14. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,865 Messages
    1,465 Likes Received
    Sorry Pross, but this is the use of stats that obscure facts.

Not that you are trying to do so. I've known and respected you far too long to think you would willfully post stats that are skewed to make your point.

But as some have said this is an era of passing and the others were not the same.
  15. Cowboy_Shawn

Cowboy_Shawn Active Member

575 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    My assessment of Dez is that he's a good receiver who will have a long productive career.

However, I don't think he'll ever be considered an elite lead receiver like the Fitzgeralds and Cal Johnsons of the league. I don't think he has the head or understanding of the game to become truly dominant.

He'll show flashes of brilliance but I don't foresee him being a dominant receiver each weekend.
  16. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

8,694 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received

Lame excuse....football is football....
  17. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

8,694 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received

He has just as many weapons to throw to. He had Simpson last year, and now Hawkins this year. Plus he has a pretty good beast of a TE too in Gresham.
  18. GiveDezdaBall88

GiveDezdaBall88 Active Member

326 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Dez Bryant is an absolute stud he just has a QB who doesn't acknowlege his existence.
  19. GiveDezdaBall88

GiveDezdaBall88 Active Member

326 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    When TO was here every 1 blamed it on him so now lets blame it on Dez?
  20. Nunez21

Nunez21 Active Member

247 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    Watch what these same guys will be saying if Dez gets the same amount of targets all year that he got this game!