1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dick Lebeau is 75 years old

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by supercowboy8, Jan 11, 2013.

1. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,595 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    He is 75, and still one hell of a coach so stop talking about kiffin being 72
  2. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    Good night both those guys are so old!
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,079 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    Emmitt Smith is 43 and Troy Aikman is 46 ...... so Emmitt will be just as good an announcer as Troy.
  4. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,595 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    Not saying he will be as good, just saying people are saying kiffin is bad due to his age, that's not the case.
  5. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,067 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    :laugh2: Textbook definition of exception fallacy.
  6. CIWhitefish

CIWhitefish Member

787 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Sure...if people were saying Emmitt shouldn't announce because he's 43. Emmitt shouldn't announce because he can't announce. If people want to say Kiffen shouldn't coach because he can't coach fine. If the sole reason is because he's 72 then that is just a bias.
  7. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,105 Messages
    1,309 Likes Received
    Why start a new thread with something that’s been said 50 times in the others? Bad form.
  8. Doomsay

6,067 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    By the same token, if someone asserts that age isn't an issue because there is a current example of one other successful DC of that advanced age in the league (coaching the same team for 12+ years), it's ok to challenge that premise.
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,079 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    Exactly ...... its like saying we should plan on Tony Romo playing till he is 39 or 41 because John Elway and Brett Favre played that long.

Kiffen is a great coach who has a brilliant football mind, but I am concerned about putting all our eggs in a very old basket.
  10. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Both are old men. Someone who can function at a high level as a coach as that age is the rare exception, not the rule. Just as is Romo still playing in his late 30s, as some here seem to take as a given.

This reeks of desperation on Jerry Jones part, and Kiffin cashing in one last time. Can't blame him. He knows it's likely a one year gig.
  11. munkee

munkee Member

342 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    The difference is that Dick LeBeau is already established at Pittsburgh at the age of 75. He started there at the age of 67. Those 8 years can make a big difference for a person late in life. It would be much more difficult for Dick LeBeau at his advanced age to start at a new franchise, install a new defensive, and bring in his own players and personal and have success doing it. This is what is being asked of Kiffen at the age of 73. I'm not saying he can't do it. But it's naive to think age will not be a factor.
  12. Doomsay

6,067 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    Yeah, nothing against Kiffen, but it's not like he's stepping into a 4-3 defense that needs a little tweaking, it's going to be a big effort presumably requiring a material time commitment and a good deal of energy. It wouldn't be any less of a challenge for LeBeau if he were to take a new position with a traditional 4-3 team.
  13. CIWhitefish

CIWhitefish Member

787 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    A given...if the only reason that you think that DC will be successful is because another DC of the same age is successful. If you believe that Kiffen is a good DC in his own right then it doesn't matter his age. If you don't believe hes good then that is fine too. If you are saying he's good but too old then I think that's where the argument goes sideways.
  14. cowboyfan4life2

cowboyfan4life2 Well-Known Member

1,153 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    Just because one guy functions great for his age, doesn't mean the other is going to. This one guy at my gym is in his late 70's and is sharp as a tack, and is in better shape than practically everyone else there, he is the exception. Monte Kiffen did a terrible job at usc.
  15. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,013 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Comparing what he did at USC to the NFL game is like comparing apples to oranges. College offenses are not like anything the NFL doing - even the "read option" offenses that Washington & Carolina use are like 10% of the versions used in college. PLUS, the players themselves are different. NOT EVERY USC PLAYER MAKES IT TO THE NFL!!!!!!!
  16. Doomsay

6,067 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    That's not what the OP asserted. He suggested that since there was one example of a successful DC over 70, age shouldn't be a consideration. The evidence doesn't support the argument, that's all. It doesn't exclude or support Kiffen's potential on an age basis with any degree of certainty, it does indicate that there is at least one example of occurance in the modern NFL, but that is not the same thing. Exception fallacy - use of a single data point.
  17. CIWhitefish

CIWhitefish Member

787 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I was not directly supporting the OP. It was more a refuting of the Emmitt comparison. I go in believing Kiffen is a good coach and don't believe he will do well just because another has who is 75. With that assumption (on my part only and not expressed) it seems silly to compare someone who obviously has no talent at something (Emmitt as a broadcaster) We are in essence saying the same thing just without my prior belief in Kiffen explained. A does not = B.