1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Did anyone else have an unusual wedding?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by notherbob, Feb 28, 2011.

1. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,858 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    After living together for two years my lady and I decided to get married but we wanted a special private ceremony just for us not the usual big social thing.

She wanted to be married by a Baptist minister and I wanted to be married in a Unitarian church so we were married by a Baptist minisyer in a Unitarian church in Denton, Texas.

First we played Randy Travis' song I'm gonna love you forver and ever
    Then we broke bread, literally, a loaf of French bread and each ate a bite and then toasted each other with a big sip of elderberry wine from the Amana colony.

We exchanged sincere silent vows while looking each other in the eyes and neither knew what the other was promising and to this day we still don't know what each others wedding vows were nor does it matter to us. We each signified that we were done by saying "I will love you as long as old men sit and talk about the weather and as long as old women sit and talk about old men."

We were backpackers and had always carried some lightweight but strong rope in our packs and we each brought a yard long piece with us and each took the other's dangling end and tied it into a double knot so that the individual pieces were now a single never ending loop. We then placed rings on each other's finger and then the preacher pronounced us man and wife and we kissed.

Then the minister, my bride and I and my daughter, the only witness in an otherwise empty church went out to dinner.

It may not sound like much but it is what we wanted and every New Years Eve we have a glass of elderberry wine in those same glasses that are stored along with that loop of rope. We have been together 24 years now.

Anyone else have an unusual ceremony?
  2. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,707 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    Not married, but your story was pretty touching.24 years congrats
  3. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,429 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    Man, that's freaky deaky!!!

I saw 'em do it the same way, on that episode of "The Andy Griffith Show", when Charlene Darling got hitched to Dud Wash.
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,318 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    We got married on the beach in the Cayman Islands. Not really that unusually.
  5. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Do shotguns count as unusual? :laugh1:
  6. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,429 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    Yes, but only because of the fact you were holding it on her!
  7. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    No I had an AK on her. The shotguns were on me. :laugh1:
  8. Vtwin

Vtwin Power and Performance

1,959 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    We rented a camp on Lake Champlain for two weeks. had the wedding on the middle weekend. Very informal picnic atmosphere. Chicken and ribs on the grill. Friends brought their boats and the kids were skiing and tubeing.

Me and my best man went fishing in the the morning. I gave my wife the handheld VHF and told her to call me on the radio when it was time. Anyone monitoring channel 8 that morning must have got a chuckle.

She called and we ran in, tied the boat up and took our positions.
  9. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Wow Bob...that was amazing.
  10. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Awesome!
  11. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,087 Messages
    3,075 Likes Received
    The only thing unusual about mine was that her parents were not there. They were on a mission in New Zealand. My father-in-law was a photographer and they got asked to microfilm vital records for several countries.

I didn't meet my in-laws until I had already been married 14 months to their daughter.
  12. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    id say this is the unusual part
  13. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    And what a happy 14 months :laugh1:
  14. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    My dad was at our wedding, but mother didn't attend because she didn't want to travel without my step-father, who isn't in terrific health.

She didn't meet Kilyin until we had been married for 2 years (together for 6).

The worst part for her was when her only grandchild was so shy that she was really scared of them the whole time.
  15. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,087 Messages
    3,075 Likes Received
    My Mother-in-law is an angel. Anyone who meets her feels like they are her best friend. She and my Father-in-law spent 5 years traveling all over the world filming vital records and everywhere they went people adopted her. She has a voice touched by deity. When she sings, people cry.
  16. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In a hot air balloon over Cottonwood, AZ at dawn.
  17. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,470 Messages
    588 Likes Received
    Got married in the Thai Embassy. In the capitol city of Bonn, West Germany. So, married in a foreign embassy, in a capitol city that no longer is a capitol, in a country that technically no longer exists. Guess that's unusual.

Most unusual I attended was also in Germany. Friend of mine got married in an honest-to-goodness castle. They departed in a horse-drawn carriage. The theme music was the theme from "Married With Children" :D
  18. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,144 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    I had two weddings to the same woman :)
  19. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    You didn't learn the first time???? :eek:

:p: