1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Did anyone watch the Democratic Debate?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Danny White, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I only caught a few minutes and then some of the post-debate analysis.

Looks like Barack held his own and didn't do anything to damage himself.

Hillary made a direct appeal to womankind to put one of their own in the White House. Will be interesting to see how that plays.

Hillary also had one uncomfortable moment when she complained about always being asked to respond first to questions... she even referenced the Saturday Night Live skit in her complaint saying "Maybe we should ask if Barack is comfortable... and needs a pillow."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db-bBAPjTxY&eurl=http://redstate.com/

Clinton also completely repudiated her vote in favor of the war... I believe for the first time... saying she wished she could "have it back." I think that shows how desperate she is now. She knows that her support of the war is a liability in the Democrat race, but an asset in the general. She's held on to that for so long, looking to the general, but now knows she needs to turn left on this if she has any hope of winning the nomination.

Anyway, that's just a bit of what I noticed. Did anyone else watch?
  2. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,174 Messages
    379 Likes Received
    Pretty good actually the only reason why my wife is voting for hilary is because she is a woman. I know not all women are like that but a lot of people voting are whether voting on gender, race, or religion. Issues are tertiary.
  3. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Nope didn't watch it. I've heard it all before and it would be more of the same.

If I wanted to watch two idiots I would watch the movie Dumb and Dumber. Actually, there is probably more redeeming qualities in that movie than in the demoncratic debate.
  4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,504 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    Hillary garnered a few boos with the pillow comment and came across as shrill and combative. Obama weathered her best shots, got in a few of his own on NAFTA and Iraq, and avoided the snares laid out for him by Clinton and the moderators. Hillary appeared defeated towards the end.

Decent exchange on health care. It was nice to see two candidates delving into the substance of their positions for a change despite the best efforts of the mods to hurry on to the next topic.
  5. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,174 Messages
    379 Likes Received
    Universal health care the mythological creature from the left wing. Let me ask you one question whats it like dealing with you HMO? Now take any frustration you have with them and multiply it by 1000%. What everyone fails to realize is even Canada's healthcare has to be augmented by personal health insurance ore you won't get 100% coverage. So while the gov't is taxing you out the arse and slowing reducing your benefits for "universal" healthcare you will need to pay a third party a monthly premium to get the rest of your health care needs covered.
  6. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,278 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    and a lot of guys who may have given her the benefit of doubt just had their own gender slapped in their face.

not a pleasant experience for them i'm sure.
  7. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,278 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    so she baited and re-baited and obama just didn't play?

best move he could make.
  8. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I watched it.

Neither had any knock out blows.

Both had some good hits though.

I liked how Obama said after Hillary talked about after the War vote that her and Obama had the same voting record supporting the war...He said something like well after you have driven the bus into the ditch there's nothing to do BUT support the war..or something like that.

She had a funny comeback to Tim Russert hammering her on her pledge to bring like 100,00 new jobs to the Upper New York/Buffalo area and there had been like a 30,000 net loss...she said well I WAS Counting on Al Gore winning the Presidency when I made that pledge.

Good debate about healthcare.

He was talking about how she would mandate people to get health insurance and then she got him to admit that he too would mandate people to get health insurance...it would be children that would be mandated...but not the breadwinners in the family...or something like that.

Hillary made a mistake complaining about always getting the first question in these debates...IMO.

Obama had a good one when they asked her about the negative ads and she went off then they went to him and he said something like well the Clinton campaign has been hitting me with negative ads for a while now...I just don't whine about it...OUCH.

All in all just more of the same...I don't think this debate is going to change anyones mind on who they were going to vote for.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,110 Messages
    4,436 Likes Received
    :laugh2: I could just see those two on the little motor scooter.:laugh2:
  10. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,095 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    The bolded part really hits home for me personally. I have A LOT of family (including my retired parents, of course I don't count them) that live in that region and she has done SQUAT for them, as pointed out a net loss of jobs.

So she is a Sen is this one state and we see a huge net loss of jobs in this state...hmmm. Of course its not a big voting block for her because upstate NY is nothing compared to lower NY in terms of numbers. Then to blame her false promise on GW when his record has shown tremendous growth in job creation over the last 4 years is really funny.

Her only job (experience) we can look at is as a NY Sen. and she has not really helped her people there at all.
  11. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    She had a funny comeback to Tim Russert hammering her on her pledge to bring like 100,00 new jobs to the Upper New York/Buffalo area and there had been like a 30,000 net loss...she said well I WAS Counting on Al Gore winning the Presidency when I made that pledge.

Yeah Big Al would have been the Savior, anyone think that the unions have have helped in moving jobs out of our country. How much longer does anyone see the U.S. auto industry surviving? Poor management and a unrelenting union demands equals job relocations to be able to compete economically.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    I saw some of it and feel this debate was a tie. I do think this was the best showing by Hillary but not enough to turn the tide.