1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Did Dallas really need to make the playoffs?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by nathanlt, Jan 1, 2013.

1. nathanlt

nathanlt Well-Known Member

2,021 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    C'mon, only one wr, ogletree.
    Only 5 healthy starters on defense.
    Let's face it some of the players were bagging groceries a month ago.

Dallas simply didn't have the pieces to make a run this year.

Let those sports experts blame this all on Romo, it's going to be a big year in 2013. Dallas will have DEPTH with their backups.
  2. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,113 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Fans would've been excited about a playoff birth for a week and then come back down to reality when they finally faced an all around team in the 1st round. With the exception of the Bengals, we beat all non playoff teams in the mini run the Cowboys had. All it did was prove the critics right about Romo & his play in big games... I guess he could've shut them up for a week, but there was no way this team was going to get out of the 1st round, especially losing Dez/Miles/Spencer in that game & having an invisible banged up Demarcus Ware
  3. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

776 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Need to? Maybe not, but Romo needed to play well in a win or go home game, he didn't. Furthermore, The Cowboys likely were not winning the Superbowl but getting to the playoffs with a shot is better for team confidence going into next year if nothing else.

Now it's just a battered team that finished 8-8 for second year in a row. Things could actually get worse next season.
  4. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,113 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    At least 25 of those guys won't be on the active roster next season, so I am not even sure how much of a confidence booster & how much the team moral would've been improved..
  5. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

776 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Maybe.. but it would be something to build on with coaches and esp. with Romo say he drove the team down the field on the skins, won the game, played well against Seattle but lost.. The pressure for Romo would be a little less and the healthy players that were coming back would be like.. "we made it undermanned, no excuses this year.."

Playoffs help..The experience helps.
  6. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,791 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    I think it'll be big cause we evaluated who can step in and play and despite all the injuries and late signings we still had a chance at the end, Go Cowboys!!!
  7. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,603 Messages
    733 Likes Received
    It would've been nice and it would've held off the CZ poster meltdown for at least one more week.
  8. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,459 Messages
    2,878 Likes Received
    Playoffs? Since when is playoffs important around here?

If playoffs were important to Jerry, Garrett would have been on the unemployment line this morning.
  9. LifetimeBoysFan

LifetimeBoysFan Member

148 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think the original poster nailed it for me. At the end of the game our team was so depleted with injuries it was almost laughable. The Seahawks roasted us with a much healthier squad earlier this year too. Granted maybe we don't have Felix fumble the opening kickoff again but that is beside the point.

I think the best thing for this team is a higher Draft pick. Clearly our depth needs to be addressed especially with the fragile bodies we have. Miles and Dez (though you kinda expect it from Miles anymore) both out would basically make our passing game useless against anyone much less a playoff team.

Our Defense is barely able to defend the run period but I see zero possibility to contain Russell Wilson or Lynch. Our Offense certainly wouldn't generate one on them with a 1 dimensional passing game and a cruddy OL.

I am sick of missing the playoffs as much as the next guy. I grew up in an era where it was the norm with Landry and Jimmy. However this team if healthy and gelling might have been a win the division and win a game or two type team. With the injuries we have endured I'm quite surprised we won 8 honestly and figure we are much closer to 5-6 win team that somehow over achieved to get where they got.

As per the norm lately the offseason will be critical but will only be a success if they address the glaring needs at DL and OL. I wouldn't complain if that's the only areas they drafted just to try insure their picks were successful to some degree. Protect Romo better, generate a running attack and have a defense that pressures the QB up front and stops the run. Then and only then a playoff team will we be.
  10. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,865 Messages
    971 Likes Received
    Beating the Skins to win the division would have been a big boost for the team and the fans.
  11. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,437 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    I agree. Romo playing poorly in that game has left a bitter taste in everyone's mouth, but this team just would've gotten killed in the playoffs. QB with a broken rib, no healthy WRs, a bunch of nobodies replacing half of the defensive starters. At least we have a higher draft position. Winning the East would've been a nice accomplishment considering all this team endured this year, but this team would almost certainly have made a quick exit in the playoffs (they simply didn't have the players to compete at this point). Sometimes failure leads Jerry and co. to make more changes than when we've had some success. We stood pat after a good '09 season and the weaknesses (OL and safety) were not addressed. I'm hoping that perhaps this ending leads to a more active offseason. I have no doubt that a healthier D and an improved OL would get this team a few more wins and make them contenders. We shall see.
  12. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,437 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    Great post. I couldn't agree more.
  13. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,602 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Although a win against the Skins would have been nice, that win would have told Jerry, regardless of what would happen next week, that this team is thisclose to the Super Bowl and that he was doing everything right, which he is not. This team had no business in the playoffs, it would have been a waste of their time. Go ahead and throw the Giants of 07 and last year at me, but you know as well as I do that those were exceptions, not the norm.
  14. kevm3

kevm3 Well-Known Member

1,039 Messages
    595 Likes Received
    there was no excuse for us not to make it. the ball is in romo's hand with 3 minutes to go and he had the opportunity to tie or win the game. That's a moment when you have to show up. Green Bay shouldn't have won the superbowl the year when they had all the injuries. The giants shouldn't have won when they went 9 and 7 in regular season. I say enough with the excuses. We didn't get it done when it mattered most.
  15. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,865 Messages
    971 Likes Received
    the players certainly wanted to get in and consequently took the loss hard.
  16. TheIceman

TheIceman Member

130 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Injuries are a part of the game. Both of the last two Super Bowl teams were dealing with them all year and still fought their way through them. You can't just point to that and ignore the lack of depth we have at various positions on defense. Blame that on Jerry.

You also can't just pretend that Romo isn't responsible at all for the loss when he has a chance to do what he had been doing for the last 3 or 4 games previous and come back in the fourth quarter to tie it up or win it and instead throws a 3rd pick. I'm sorry, I'm not saying its ALL his fault, but you can't pretend like none of its on him either.
  17. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,555 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    so we didn't get it done, but we did WAY more than we should of against scrub teams like the original poster said, and then faced a Redskins team which is WAY better than there record suggests in the end. Romo threw the int, bad yes, but you say it like we could of kicked the field goal at that point, we still had to go the rest of the way and without Dez and Austin... maybe

We played a much better team but we did play them tough with alot of injuries, but if you had been reading this forum before the game you would of saw that the vast majority of us knew we were gonna lose this game.

But you are right, we didnt get it done but for a VAST assortment of reasons, many of being because this team just isn't very good. Alot of players just mediocre or atleast playing that way. We all been fooled into thinking this team is better than it is, but until Jerry cleans house from top down and it definitely starts at the top, I am afraid we will continue to see this type of play for many more years
  18. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    Winning the East and going down swinging in the playoffs vs. another offseason of "Romo choked" by the masses? Yeah, I personally would have liked the win.
  19. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,555 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    this is a pretty fair post,

Romo is very much a part of the reason we lost
    we have a helluva lot of injuries, probably too much to overcome with better depth planning by Jerry and especially with the salary cap these days
    I put alot of blame on poor coaching and playcalling, very bland and predictable as opponents have mentioned
  20. DavidAK

DavidAK New Member

796 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Cowboys didn't have to win the game but Romo had to play well..I think people would of been fine with a loss, the Cowboys were not the better team either way you look at it. But Romo, this was huge for him. He had to play well and play confident all game for Dallas to even have chance to win and calm his critics.

But what he did not only had his loyalist scratching their heads but the world reafirming their point that Romo is a choker. This loss hurts, but the worst thing about it was our quarterback coming up short AGAIN.