1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Did It Bother Any Of You The Way The Players Treated Hatcher

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by DandyDon1722, Nov 12, 2012.

1. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

2,388 Messages
    959 Likes Received
    Once again Hatcher set the tone for another penalty filled extravaganza, but it's what the other players did that made me made as hell.

JoeRod made a post about Garrett in another thread being more of a strategist than a motivator like Jimmy or Parcells. I believe that's true, but it's also a fact that football is an emotional game, so if the emotion is not coming from the coach it has to come from the players and what I saw yesterday made me sick.

He made two critical mistakes inside of a minute in a season deciding game against a divisional rival and what do the other defensive players do...

...the patted him on the head and gave him support -- when in my opinion somebody should have lit him up. I wanted to see a shouting match and I wanted Hatcher to be part of it, because he would have had no defense against another player going off on him.

Many of us have played sports at a high level and the axiom has always been physical errors are tolerated and you support teammates when they happen because they can happen to you on the very next play.

But mental errors cannot be tolerated. Somebody needs to send a message and if the coaches aren't willing to do it and the players aren't willing to do it what are you left with?

Darren Woodsen where have you gone?
  2. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Man stop this nonsense. Lol you don't even know what they said to him.
  3. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,535 Messages
    395 Likes Received
    if a player lights him up, he better NEVER take a dumb penalty again, never miss an assignment etc

You have to support yoru teammates.
  4. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

3,912 Messages
    624 Likes Received
    It's hard to yell at a guy when your "leaders" often jump offsides (Ware), false start (Witten) and lead the league in INTs (Romo).

I like those guys, but do as I say not as I do doesn't carry a lot of weight.

Perhaps the young guys (Lee, Murray, Mo, Smith, Carter, etc.) will someday be able to lead with their words AND EXAMPLE.
  5. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,384 Messages
    576 Likes Received
    i wish i was perfect at my job as other people are at their.
  6. The Natural

The Natural Benched

4,720 Messages
    1,488 Likes Received
    [youtube]wFv37lzkSyw[/youtube]

This is what you wanted to see OP?
  7. DandyDon1722

2,388 Messages
    959 Likes Received
    Nonsense? Really?

You guys must have never played sports. So I guess Aikman or Irvin should have never gone off on teammates even though they obviously made mistakes?

It's about leadership and accountability and the one thing you don't want to do is let your teammates down. Is McCray going to lecture Ware? No, but should Ware get on Hatcher? Hell yes.

Guess I either underestimated the fanbase on leadership abilities. My fault.
  8. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Patting your teamate on the back, sticking by him, keeping his head in the game, and supporting him like a brother is definitely the thing to do. A coach however, should ask him what he is thinking, however.
  9. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

3,912 Messages
    624 Likes Received
    Please.

I'm the flag bearer for lack of leadership on this team.

I'm just saying Ware, Witten, Romo, Rat, Austin, etc. have a number of issues on penalties and mistakes, so it would look hypocritical for them to jump in another guy's face.
  10. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Really because when we had teammates act like that everyone just started tuning them out for being and arse. teammates that yell and chew out other players generally get tuned out.

Now if he came up patted him and said hey man we need you to step it up then generally you will get better results.

Let the coaches alienate the players that is their job.
  11. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Leadership is knowing the people who are following you well enough to know how they'll respond to different types of behavior. Providing positive encouragement to a player who you know will embrace it and fail to learn from the experience might be bad. Providing it to someone who has a tendency to lose confidence and become negative might be good.

Perhaps Jay knows better than a random fan posting on the internet what kind of man Jason Hatcher is.
  12. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,404 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    Leadership abilities does NOT include ripping someone. That 'ability' can be completed by a third grader.

How do you know Hatcher responds to getting in his face?

Did you know Jimmy didn't do that to one Charles Haley because if he did, Haley would shut down.

You only have 1/4 of the story and the other 3/4 is the most important part.
  13. DandyDon1722

2,388 Messages
    959 Likes Received
    You know what...you're right and I'm wrong. Your post made me realize we really don't have anybody that doesn't have the same problems. You gave me a perspective that I didn't think about, but we just don't have that kind of team.

Caught myself living in the past - bad way to be with the Cowboys
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    Postion coaches do when player come to the sideline as for other players I don't have an issue with teammates telling a guy to shake it off. You get players going after each other we got bigger problems.
  15. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,300 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    Eh it won't really matter. They all encourage mistakes and penalties...it's the only reason why they've been such an undisciplined team for the last 5 years
  16. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,251 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    I would be made if someone made me made as well.
  17. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,210 Messages
    1,890 Likes Received
    Leadership comes with the ability to show positive and negative reinforcement when needed. You have to know when and where to use both and most do not have that cognitive ability.

Ray Lewis has that ability. He can get in your face and let ya have it, but later he will be the very same giving positive reinforcement and bolstering that players mentality. It comes hand in hand and I think it is an inherent trait that is hard to learn, you are born with it.

All people react differently to situations and one needs to be able to know when and where to use negative reinforcement, it won't work with everyone.

All this said, I don't see anyone on this team yet that has that special ability.
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    Then again we don't know what is actually being said down on the sideline. I don't see or hear what the position coaches are saying to players or even what players are saying. We see an image and we know what is going on? Please. People love to talk about leadership but the people talking about it have no clue as to what is taking place. You see 5 sec on TV and we know? :laugh2:
  19. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,210 Messages
    1,890 Likes Received
    That was going to be a point in my post I forgot to add. We don't know what is or isn't being said for the most part.

I used Ray as an example because we do know what he says to reinforce guys often. Watch any documentaries about him and his leadership shows. I don't see that same type of leader in Dallas yet, was my point.
  20. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,614 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    I don't know about what the OP says, but I did see Scandrick getting ripped by an African American coach on the sideline after a play--I believe it was a screen to McCoy? The play where Claiborne couldn't shed his block perhaps? Did anyone else catch that? Which coach was that giving him the business?