1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Did Tampa get too cute??

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CATCH17, Apr 27, 2012.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,043 Messages
    2,273 Likes Received
    Or did they want Barron all along?

Also.. I think it's weird the Cowboys never interviewed Claiborne.

I wonder if they even knew about his wrist injury.

Im 100% on board with the pick but it seems like all they knew about the guy was based on their film study.

We got a good one today though. I can't believe we got the best defender in the draft.
  2. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

Brian Baker did talk to Claiborne at the Combine. He was the only coach to do so.

Scouts had him graded as the best defensive player of the draft and the concensus was at #2 overall on the board.
  3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,043 Messages
    2,273 Likes Received
    Claiborne said he didn't talk to anyone at anytime that was with the Cowboys.
  4. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

I'm not sure who is wrong here but it was reported that Baker did talk to him.
  5. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Def didn't get too cute. They have made some SERIOUS upgrades on their team both in FA and this draft.
  6. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,315 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    I think they got cute & thought STL would take Fletcher Cox like some had projected, but I'd say they crapped their pants when they saw us come up there at 6.
  7. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think once they where knocked out of the Trent race for the #3 slot someone made them an offer and they thought it was the smart play so they could still get a player they wanted
  8. johnny utah

johnny utah Guest

I think Tampa tried to get too cute. I also thought that Barron looked very disappointed when the bucs drafted him. Like he expected to go elsewhere. I don't know if anyone else noticed that.
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    If I were a Tampa fan, I would be pretty pissed. Tampa was in position to take one of the no-brainer consensus blue chips, and instead traded down to take a 2nd tier player and what do they have to show for it? A mere 4th round pick? I liked Barron, but he's not Claiborne. Now at CB they got Talib who's one more off the field incident away from a year long suspension and Rhonde Barber who's about a year away from drawing SSI. Then they traded a 2nd and 3rd to move up to get Doug Martin, who is a good player, but is going to be a shared time platoon back, and I just don't draft a RB anywhere in the 1st round unless I think he's going to be an every down work horse, much less trade up for one. Besides, I'm not sure Martin's skillset is really that much different than Blount's.

I would be more concerned about Dallas not interviewing Claiborne if they didn't have close ties with Les Miles that would provide way more insight than a face to face chit chat.
  10. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,038 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I have read and heard all night that Tampa wanted Barron all along and were planning on taking him at #5 but thought they could pick up an extra pick or two in a trade down, which they did. I can't understand why they would rather have Barron and a 4th/7th over Claiborne but that was apparently their guy and they got him and a couple extra picks.

It worked out tremendously for us though.:cool:
  11. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,663 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Well Martin is more of a complete back then Blount, Blount is terrible in the passing game and is frequently pulled cause of it. Martin is a good pick for them and could mean Blount becomes a backup.

As for did Tampa get too cute, it will be hard to tell cause they will spin it in order to look good from their end. They have been connected to Claiborne for forever so for them not to get him, they do have to spin it since Barron did look like a reach cause everyone and their mom knew they needed a DB.

They needed both a safety and a CB, so it works out either way for them, even though Morris is the much higher rated prospect at a more premium position. Both positions are hard to fill, especially this year, but in retrospect we are sure lucky we went ahead and traded up cause cause we probably would've ended up with Brockers.

Thats enough to make me do backflips for Mo.
  12. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,354 Messages
    585 Likes Received
    It's just puzzling to me that TB didn't want Claiborne.

They hired LSU's DB Coach in the off-season, so they had all the inside info they needed to evaluate Claiborne. And they passed on him.

It's hard for me to believe that they would risk losing out on their guy for an extra 4th rounder. Barron had to have been their guy all along.
  13. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think they wanted Claiborne, but also liked Barron a lot too. I just think they got a little too cute, and if they wanted Claiborne, should have just taken him. And I'm sure that's why they took Barron where they did. No need to get cute again and trade down, just take him and look to make moves later in the round.
  14. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    No doubt. All that for a safety and a specialty RB?

Rough times to be an NFL fan in Florida. All three teams are total disasters.
  15. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    He was not only the last of the blue chips, he was the last of the blue chips at a huge position of need. Barron is a fine player and even if he turns out to be Brian Dawkins that was a perplexing trade.
    There are 3 divisions where you need to be loaded in the secondary and the NFC South is the one with the best tight ends so I guess.
  16. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,390 Messages
    646 Likes Received
    i think the rams got too cute as well and ended up missing out on both of the elite receivers.
  17. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Reportedly they would have taken Brockers with the 6th pick had they not been able to trade down, so Im not sure they really even wanted the WRs. They gave a life long defensive coach complete control of the franchise, so he's going to put priority on the defense.
  18. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can already tell you the offense they are going to use next year under fisher so they do not need no stinking WR

Run, run, run, run some more ok now pass run run pass run run run run :wink3:
  19. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,334 Messages
    229 Likes Received
    Maybe Claiborne didn't know Baker was a Cowboys coach! I mean, he can't read or that's what his Wonderlic score suggests anyhow. :laugh2:
  20. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    The Bucs looked stupid unless Barron turns into Reed or Polymalu which i dont think is gonna happen.