News: Did the Dallas Cowboys find an undrafted defensive gem?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CCBoy, May 19, 2017.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

25,589 Messages
    6,310 Likes Received
    Did the Dallas Cowboys find an undrafted defensive gem?

http://thelandryhat.com/2017/05/18/dallas-cowboys-undrafted-defensive-gem/

...Still, America’s Team may have found themselves a hidden gem at the position anyway in an undrafted free agent out of Northwestern named Joseph Jones. That’s according to the former Cowboys vice president of player personnel for 28 years, Gil Brandt. “…I like [Joe] Jones, an undrafted free-agent linebacker that they picked up from Northwestern,” Brandt told the Dallas Morning News recently. “The trend is now towards these smaller linebackers, and he’s a guy that’s about 6-foot, 230-35 pounds, but yet runs around 4.5, and so everybody’s looking for linebackers that can run and be a part of the passing game.”

Pro Football Weekly proclaimed Jones to be a late riser prior to the draft citing the fact his 40-time, between 4.45 and 4.50, his 6.72 three-cone time, 4.21 20-yard shuttle and 35.5 inch vertical all would have placed him in the top five among his peers at the NFL Scouting Combine. (which he wasn’t invited to attend)

Last season, Jones recorded 46 total tackles, 4.5 tackles for a loss and 2.0 sacks at Northwestern. Unfortunately, Jones’ diminutive size and one-year of starting experience left him undrafted. If this rookie linebacker is going to make it onto a very talented Cowboys roster, he’ll have to make his bones on special teams. Lucky for Jones, that’s exactly what he wants to do...

HomeBiscuit, jjktkk, Bullflop and 8 others like this.
  2. Daillest88

Daillest88 Well-Known Member

5,258 Messages
    4,577 Likes Received

Does sound like an interesting prospect. If he would of been invited to the combine and posted his people day numbers, he would of been drafted

3. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

18,985 Messages
    10,330 Likes Received
    I hope so, we do need LB's. I still think instead of Carrell at DT, or possible White at CB, one of those should have been a LB. But not complaining about it, as it's just my opinion.

DFWJC, Bullflop, dwight and 3 others like this.
  4. LocimusPrime

LocimusPrime Well-Known Member

9,037 Messages
    19,434 Likes Received
    Lewis Neal is gonna shake things up

SeanLee50, DFWJC, Bullflop and 3 others like this.
  5. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

8,393 Messages
    5,975 Likes Received
    Honestly, I'm so excited about our draft picks that I haven't even looked into any of our UDFAs. Unlike most years where it's the other way around.

Jarv, Wood, Trouty and 1 other person like this.
  6. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

31,550 Messages
    15,617 Likes Received
    I keep hearing this guy's name being brought up more and more. I'm curious to find out more about him. I think that the 6th linebacker spot on this roster could be up for grabs. The team could look to move on from Kyle Wilber.

Verdict, muck4doo, jjktkk and 7 others like this.
  7. aria

aria Well-Known Member

477 Messages
    284 Likes Received
    If our all star draft dept is as good evaluting udfa's as they are with the regular draft then we're in great shape and this guy could be a major player.

8. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

6,331 Messages
    2,632 Likes Received
    We do have a need at lb. if smith can be what he was in college that's huge but other than him and lee there is not a lot that are really your future there and lee is not really the future other than maybe on the staff. Hitch is a solid player but nothing special, nacho is famous here but hasn't done anything on the field

Bullflop likes this.
  9. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

11,279 Messages
    3,027 Likes Received
    Lucas Wacha is just as good an athlete, but longer. And while he was an even smaller school guy, he was even more productive than Joe Jones. Nzeocha, Wacha, Jones are all in the mold of the SS/LB hybrid that is currently all the rage.

Darren Woodson would have made a ton of money in this era.

Bullflop, Trouty, CATCH17 and 3 others like this.
  10. kiheikiwi

kiheikiwi Maui No Ka Oi

1,585 Messages
    644 Likes Received
    There are potentially several players from the draft and Free Agency, that if they cant push their way onto the 53 to start the year, will re-make our practice squad. And that's a great thing to have ...

BAT, Bullflop and Trouty like this.
  11. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

19,210 Messages
    42,611 Likes Received
    Hope we got a five star football player for nothing --that is better than getting a good draft pick. Collins a couple of years ago was great, and I think Emmett Cleary is a steal as a free agent.

chris1995, DFWJC, Bullflop and 2 others like this.
  12. dallasdave

19,210 Messages
    42,611 Likes Received
    Hey we need some new blood in the LB's, Hungry players who can run and hit and have a little bit or a lot of attitude !!!

chris1995, DFWJC, BAT and 4 others like this.
  13. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

39,000 Messages
    46,858 Likes Received
    Getting a Will McClay tattoo over the weekend.

Scotman, chagus, Garrettop and 11 others like this.
  14. dallasdave

19,210 Messages
    42,611 Likes Received
    :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

DFWJC, freddy0227, Trouty and 2 others like this.
  15. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

12,564 Messages
    5,194 Likes Received
    Watching Wachas video he shows very good awareness on where the play is going,he has a chance to make the PS.

skinsscalper and BAT like this.
  16. RxMan

RxMan Member

335 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I wonder where his 40 time, cone drill etc placed him amongst safeties.

17. dallasdave

19,210 Messages
    42,611 Likes Received
    Shake Rattle and Roll

18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

88,538 Messages
    11,581 Likes Received
    I look at some of these LB that are not what some would consider traditional LB and can't help but think of Woodson who was a college LB yet was drafted by Dallas to be a safety

Floaty, jjktkk and Bullflop like this.
  19. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

5,536 Messages
    2,674 Likes Received
    Wacha is one of the UDFAs that really caught my eye. He just looked quick to,recognize the play and was very active getting to the ball. I really liked what I saw of his tape. Neal and Jones are interesting as well. I don't know if there's room for any of them but I like them all.

20. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

41,078 Messages
    13,314 Likes Received
    Plus you have to figure with the kid going to Northwestern that he's no dummy.