1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Did you just make that up?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Boys#1 95, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Boys#1 95

Boys#1 95 Active Member

505 Messages
    167 Likes Received
    As long as the game has been played there are still a few that you just have to say.." You kidding"?

Still some time to discuss these crazy ones so we are versed when it comes time for kickoff.

what else you got?

Well, there's the fair catch kick. When a team calls for a fair catch, it has the option of taking an undefended field goal, rather than putting the ball into play from scrimmage. One person holds the ball at the spot of the fair catch, and the kicker kicks it. The defense has to stand at least 10 yards downfield and can't rush the kicker.

The conversion safety is a good one, too. On an extra point, if the defense somehow ends up with the ball and gets tackled with it in their own end zone, the kicking team gets a 1-point safety.
    BigStar and djmajestik like this.
  2. Craig

Craig Well-Known Member

614 Messages
    323 Likes Received
    The defense has to end up with the ball out of the end zone then retreat to the end zone and get tackled. Those first two lines of that post were beyond confusing.
    Carharris2 likes this.
  3. Boys#1 95

Boys#1 95 Active Member

505 Messages
    167 Likes Received
    my apologies kind sir.. i was speaking of "National Football League Official Rules" I must be more clear with my intent.
  4. Carharris2

Carharris2 Well-Known Member

1,144 Messages
    473 Likes Received
    Huh
  5. guag

guag Right Kind of Guy

6,368 Messages
    1,337 Likes Received
    WhatDidIJustRead.jpg

Seriously though, are these real NFL rules? Never heard of them if true.
    casmith07 and CowboyMike like this.
  6. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,603 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    Is this a new flirtation?
  7. Boys#1 95

Boys#1 95 Active Member

505 Messages
    167 Likes Received
    c'mon guys...gota get up to speed here..lol...Those are very real rules. that's why i started the thread. Can you imagine a "I called it" at a Dallas viewing party if you get one of these "Wacked" calls right...Sheeesh.. you would look like a 'Football God"...lol!!!

Ture enough.........
  8. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,347 Messages
    1,206 Likes Received
    I thought the ball was dead on a failed extra point. The defense can't advance the ball towards the other team's goal line. Someone please explain how that conversion safety works again, slowly........
    Carharris2 likes this.
  9. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,874 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Wikipedia to the rescue:

In American football, if what would normally be a safety is scored on an extra point or two-point conversion attempt (officially known in the rulebooks as a try), one point is awarded to the scoring team.[21][22][23] This is commonly known as a conversion safety or one-point safety[24] and it can be scored by the offense.[21][23] There are at least two known occurrences of the conversion safety in Division I college football – a November 26, 2004 game in which Texas scored against Texas A&M, and the 2013 Fiesta Bowl in which Oregon scored against Kansas State.[25] In both games the PAT kick was blocked, recovered by the defense, and then fumbled or thrown back into the end zone.[26] Coincidentally, play-by-play commentator Brad Nessler called both of these games.[27] No conversion safeties have been scored in the NFL since 1940, in part due to the ball becoming dead as soon as the defense gains possession. The only scenario in which a one-point safety could be scored in NFL play would involve the defense kicking or batting a loose ball out the back of the end zone without taking possession of it.[28]
    djmajestik and guag like this.
  10. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,570 Messages
    840 Likes Received
    No offense to the op but..........in my best I-MAN impersonation ...20 days till TC....PRAISE JESUS !!!!!!!!
  11. Boys#1 95

Boys#1 95 Active Member

505 Messages
    167 Likes Received
    lol..I get it but you know you are better for it. That "feather" now in your cap is very strong. Be the rule don't shun it. you can't be "All knowing" with out knowing it all. true stuff.....
    guag likes this.
  12. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,347 Messages
    1,206 Likes Received
    Ah, so very hard to do in the NFL.......
  13. Boys#1 95

Boys#1 95 Active Member

505 Messages
    167 Likes Received
    no...resistance is not futile here...lol! Just trying to school you guys up so you are prepared for anything. Is that not what you expect from the best?
    guag likes this.
  14. guag

guag Right Kind of Guy

6,368 Messages
    1,337 Likes Received
    I actually have to give the OP props for this thread, I can honestly say I've learned something new about the rules of NFL football today. With that said, training camp needs to get here ASAP lol.
  15. Boys#1 95

Boys#1 95 Active Member

505 Messages
    167 Likes Received
    lol..just hold on brother...it's coming. can't be soon enough.
    guag likes this.
  16. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,603 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    I'm corn-fused.. So no new rule just some curveball ala GoooooDell..........
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I actually remember (I'm pretty sure) that free kick after a punt happening at the end of the Landry era...
  18. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

652 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    If im reading this correctly it happened 49ers v Rams Thursday night football and Madock called before it happened. I thought he was a football God at that point.
  19. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

652 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    And we would all think our TV is broken if we saw a 7-1 score
  20. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,897 Messages
    191 Likes Received
    Yup, that was the most recent of the attempts. Last successful one was in 1976.
    Only Cowboy to try was Septien in a 1986 preseason game.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_catch_kick#Known_attempts_in_the_NFL
    dcstands4 likes this.