1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Directv on Demand

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 26, 2010.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,227 Messages
    7,052 Likes Received
    Anyone have it and how do you connect it without the ethernet cable?

I bought a USB wireless adapter, but I'm not sure how to get the receiver to detect the signal.
  2. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

7,692 Messages
    1,276 Likes Received
    From the research I have done using a USB wireless adapter will not work with Directv. ONLY the ethernet port can be used for Internet & Network connection. The best thing to use is a wireless ethernet adapter and connect that to your wireless router. I also read that USB is at least four times slower than Ethernet and could not handle the load the various networking services places on the DVR.
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,331 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Odd thing is, I never hooked my DirecTV to my home network, but my wife was able to ordered Diary of a Whimpy Kid for our kids.

I will have to look into that when I get home.
  4. WoodysGirl

67,227 Messages
    7,052 Likes Received
    Hmm...Ok. Looks like I'll be making a return trip to Fry's today.

well, if the receiver is connected to a phone (not sure you have one), then you can still get PPV. Other than that, I don't know. *shrug*

Thanks guys..
  5. Sam I Am

31,331 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    I have VoIP and only one phone jack that is connected to my phone. I will check it out when I get home and revisit this thread.
  6. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,260 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    I would think a wireless adapter would work. Which model of DTV receiver do you have?

A great place to go for some serious help would be here:

http://www.dbstalk.com/index.php

Try searching your issue. If you don't find it try posting a question and you will get definitive answers from this crowd.
  7. WoodysGirl

67,227 Messages
    7,052 Likes Received
  8. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,435 Messages
    1,939 Likes Received
    That will do the trick. I have an old Belkin gaming adapter that is similar to that one. It has worked so well for several years that I have never upgraded up from it since.
  9. Sam I Am

31,331 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Okay, I looked at the back of my primary DTV box. I have the coaxial cable from the roof and the HD cables to my TV and thats it. How my wife bought the movie and sent the info to DTV I have not a clue.
  10. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,435 Messages
    1,939 Likes Received
    Do you recall seeing an additional service fee on your next bill after watching the movie? According to their site, Directv charges $1.50 or $5 for using their telephone automated system for ordering a movie or requesting a customer service representative to place the order, respectively. Maybe she called it in and did not let her hubby know about it? :)