1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Disrespecting the Star...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by trickblue, Mar 20, 2006.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

29,044 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    I am onboard saying that I don't like TO, but I will certainly cheer for him as a Cowboy...

With that in mind, Craig Miller on The Ticket this morning made a good point in respect to "disrespecting the Star"...
    Lance Rentzel pulling down his pants in front of a minor, that's disrespecting the Star.

Rafael Septien molesting a minor, that's disrespecting the Star.

Hollywood Henderson doing drugs during games , that's disrespecting the Star.

Mark Tuinei dying of a drug overdose, that's disrespecting the Star.

The drug problems with players from the early 90's, that's disrespecting the Star.

The "White House" and cheating on wives and girlfriends, that's disrespecting the Star.

Larry Allen being caught in the parking lot at King Cabaret, that's disrespecting the Star.

Dwayne Goodrich racing at over 100 mph coming home from a strip bar and killing two good samaritans, that's disrespecting the Star.

I guess what he was saying is that it's a bit hypocritical to make such a big deal out of something that happened on the field in the spirit of the game, while giving a pass to our own players who have had much worse indiscretions...
  2. Hostile

Hostile Driver of the Cowboys Bandwagon Zone Supporter

119,169 Messages
    3,295 Likes Received
    He's right.

I don't like TO, and I doubt I ever will, but what he did is a trespass, not a sin. There's a huge difference.

He wasn't wearing our brand and colors at the time. Those guys were.
  3. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,465 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Seems like many people forget this incident.

[IMG]

Although, I tend to agree with you guys. The fans will have the biggest problem with this. There are going to be a lot of emotions shared for that first game.
  4. chinch

chinch No Quarter

3,596 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    good thread... all MUCH worse offenders.

it's odd Cowboy fans are so annoyed by a meaningless "celebration" which would have been avoided if we played a little D. when a guy SCORES ON YOU OVER AND OVER sit down and take your medicine.

TO has beaten the Cowboys several times almost by himself.. that is no doubt the reason for the hate. If we won all those 49er/Eagal games we'd be laughing at him, not be worried about "respect" of some patch of grass.
  5. trickblue

29,044 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    No... that's the hanging pont for many of us... Miller was making the point that that is minor thing...
  6. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,465 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    So the initial 2 incidents when TO was a 49er are ignored. That all I am saying, everyone remembers the 9ers game, but forgets about the Eagles game. It was blatant.

Oh, I agree. I think my wording is bad (too many morning beverages).

Its small in the grand scheme of things. But although other players made mistakes and had their discretion's, I dont feel that they intentionally (knowingly) showed that disrespect.
  7. NYCowboy22

NYCowboy22 Member

632 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I couldn't have said it better myself.
  8. Dcz84

Dcz84 Member

303 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Football is entertainment
  9. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    TB, PM'd a comment like this to Cold Pizza in short form. Hopefully they read it.
  10. hooskins

hooskins New Member

407 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I disagree, being a football ifan sn't all about winning. If you truely love and respect the organization, that cannot be tolerated. Why do you think he was taken out by your safety when he did that midfield?? I do not think it was only because you guys were losing that game, it was because it was disprespectful for the organization. I have posted this many times at this forum, I still do not see how fans can accept a player after that. If he did that to the Redskins I would not care if he took me to the SuperBowl, because that SuperBowl will always be tainted in my mind. Real fans know this, and I think we are quick to forget that...
  11. trickblue

29,044 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    That would be cool TBC... let us know...
  12. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I signed it "TBC in the Zona" Figured they could think that meant Arizona but it was code for the Zone. :laugh2:
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Winter is Here Staff Member

61,731 Messages
    5,113 Likes Received
    Add in Irvin going after a TEAM MATE with scissors.
  14. chinch

chinch No Quarter

3,596 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As a fan it's about entertainment and winning. On the field it's ONLY about winning.

i'd have preferred they took that anger AND MADE A STOP. He can't celebrate if he didn't score 2 TDs. The rest is irrelevant. I am more ANNOYED at DALLAS for being such a PUSHOVER team against TO historically.

I've been a "real" cowboy fan for a long time and TO is more than welcome simply 'cause he's a playmaker who cares about winning. That is alot more than i can say for many former Skins & 'Boys players who were just cashing paychecks.
  15. Big D

Big D Well-Known Member

2,277 Messages
    125 Likes Received

Well it's definately not about winning when your a skins fan!

:lmao2:
  16. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,891 Messages
    686 Likes Received

While not being a TO fan and all those events pi**ing me off do you not think the only way he can make up for those is doing right by the Cowboys as a player?

If he never signed with the team and went on played well for another franchise those events would always grate on people's nerves.

Now if he has three good years here , win's a few playoff games and maybe the team might even make a Bowl I think most ( not all, some people are stubborn to the point of stupidity) people's mind will change on him. As bad as it seems now those events will feel different to fans if the team wins, winning can change a lot of things.

Of course that's if he does right by the team, if he doesn't then it will seem worse and people that hate the Cowboys will relish every "I told you so moment".

I have enjoyed the hysteria of the last few days on Cowboy boards, and have never seen so many threads pop up in such a short space of time. All the major sport sites have lead with Cowboy stories and it will continue for the rest of the off season and season until the Cowboys are out of everything because TO is such a lighting rod for attention.

I was against him going to Dallas but after couple of days I am glad he did. Next season will be exciting to watch and I'm pretty sure it will be a circus. Every day it will be a search through the news to see if he said something stupid and every TD he scores it will be exciting/ worrying to see if he does something stupid.

Parcells and Bledsoe might not be even with the team next year so how much damage can he really do? I have already seen a few articles on how the Cowboys are NFC/ NFC east favorites and all it took was a weekend for people to write these stories. I might not like the guy but him signing sure has made the last few days fun, he will make the season fun to watch to - for how long I don't know but nothing lasts forever so I will enjoy it while I can.
  17. DallasCowpoke111

DallasCowpoke111 Benched

2,242 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not Jerry Jones or any single individual can tarnish the "star" or the history of the Dallas Cowboys.

The Cowboys have certainly had their share of good and bad history and have weathered storms before.

T.O. cannot bring down the Cowboys because he doesn't have that power unless we the fans and the team give it to him.
  18. Gooch

Gooch E-Dog

636 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    I really dont want to give TO a free pass on the star thing. Yeah, I cheered for Teauge when he knocked him off the star. Yeah, I cheered for Roy when he broke TO's ankle (even though I've never cheered for anyone getting hurt in a football game before....possibly McNabb last year). He disrespected the star - no doubt in my mind, and for that, I will always hate that TO.
    At the same time, TO now wears the silver and blue, and the guy is a weapon. If he can be used to hurt the enemy, then by all means, I'm on board. I'd have to treat him like a Russian defector during the cold war - welcome him to our side, and use him to make us stronger. Do you trust him 100%? No - but give him the benefit of doubt. Still, keep an eye on him in case he messes up - then give him the hook. You hope he behaves, but you never know.
    As long as he performs at a high level, and he gets us "w" against the rest of the division, then I welcome TO. I expect nothing less than a Lombardi from this deal.
  19. Hostile

Hostile Driver of the Cowboys Bandwagon Zone Supporter

119,169 Messages
    3,295 Likes Received
    Very well said.
  20. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,189 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Post of the day......by FAR! Thanks.....:bow: