1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: 20 Years After Jerry & Jimmy Split

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by peplaw06, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    We almost came back to win despite giving them a 21 (?) point spot to start the first quarter. We would have won if the refs had done their job and thrown the flag on Deion in the endzone.

Yes, the 9ers were great that year. They cowboys were just as good (and would have been better if Jimmy were there).
    Air Force One and daveferr33 like this.
  2. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,422 Messages
    1,907 Likes Received
    [2019] Cowlishaw: 25 years after Jerry & Jimmy split, new spin on why Johnson left 'Boys

[2034] Cowlishaw: 40 years after Jerry & Jimmy split, new spin on why Johnson left 'Boys

[2044] <insert name>: 50 years after Jerry & Jimmy split, new spin on why Johnson left 'Boys

Easy money journalism. Fresh info for school children reading it for the first time. Stale info for everyone else.
    big dog cowboy and casmith07 like this.
  3. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,979 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    I can't wait for the made-for-television movie.
  4. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,422 Messages
    1,907 Likes Received
    I would cast Ed O'Neill as Jimmy and Ty Burrell as Jerry. I would consider casting Sofia Vergara as Gene Jones, but that would be reDONKulous.
    casmith07 and Zimmy Lives like this.
  5. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    Tim brings up a good point, Jimmy and the players had had it with each other that is a fact. But make no mistake, Jerry involving himself in Jimmys operations was the beginning of the end, same as Parcells.
  6. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,423 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    Jerry and Jimmy had a good thing going and made a decision to discontinue their partnership. Neither have been able to match the level of success in their previous capacities of pro football since that breakup. It was unfortunate that they weren't able to continue what they achieved during that run. The destruction of their working relationship certainly took its toll on everyone concerned with the possible exception of Jimmy. Jerry, the franchise, its fans, and the team haven't been nearly the same since.
  7. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,165 Messages
    1,173 Likes Received

False.

True.
  8. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Well said, stay thirsty my friend.
  9. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,110 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Exactly what Wayne Huizenga did down here and exactly what does he have to show for it ?
  10. plymkr

plymkr Active Member

169 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    I vaguely remember some issues with jimmy and the players (jimmy saying the Jacksonville job would be intriguing) but can someone shed some light on the specifics. I clearly remember the rift between Switzer and aikman and the coach Blake fiasco but nothing really pronounced is coming to mind with jimmy and the players. Does anyone remember anything or have any links. Thanks
  11. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,759 Messages
    626 Likes Received
    Its just unbelievable that Jerry never asked for Jimmy advice on football. So he goes 17 years with horrible track record. Fans suffer. But Jerry did it his way :confused:
  12. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,155 Messages
    500 Likes Received
    Regardless of who gets the credit for those 3 Super Bowls ... all I know is who gets the blame for 1 playoff win in 17 years.

Disgustingly pathetic.
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,636 Messages
    5,549 Likes Received
    Exactly how was Jerry supposed to do that when Jimmy had already decided to leave? Jimmy even had the date picked when he was quitting. No amount of money would have convinced Jimmy to stay.
  14. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Really, Really
  15. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,292 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    That's not true. Jimmy and Jerry were trying to negotiate a resolution so Johnson could stay one more year until things fell completely apart.
    dallasdave likes this.
  16. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Well said indeed. Everyone knows Jimmy and Jerry would like to have won three Super Bowls in a row.
    Dodger12 likes this.
  17. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,466 Messages
    382 Likes Received
    Alcohol and negotiations between two egos don't mix.
    dallasdave likes this.
  18. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,636 Messages
    5,549 Likes Received
    Are you calling Jimmy Johnson a liar because those are his words. Just because they were trying to figure out how to keep Jimmy there doesn't mean what I posted wasn't true.
  19. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,292 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    Sure doesn't sound like a guy that had decided to leave and had a date in mind.

http://si.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1005069/2/index.htm

As for Johnson, much of the joy of coaching the Cowboys had departed during the last year along with buddies Wannstedt, Turner and offensive line coach Tony Wise, who's now with the Bears. Gone were the Friday-evening beer-and-nachos outings. Johnson seemed like a man thinking seriously of quitting. But, he recalled last week, "I softened a bit. I was thinking we could make it happen one more year." His friends thought that he would surely coach this season.

However, when Johnson was told in Orlando that Jones was threatening to fire him and replace him with Switzer, everything began to unravel. Johnson and Jones exchanged volleys in the press and then met on March 28 to sort out their future. "We came up with five options," says Johnson. "Number one, fire me, which we eliminated. Number two, I quit, which we eliminated. Number three, I continue to work under my existing contract, which we eliminated. Number four was to settle the contract and part. The fifth was to put all our efforts into one year. I even said I'd change the language in my contract, [which specifies] that I have sole control of all personnel moves. Then after one year I'd be free to go where I wanted."

That night Johnson went home to think about the final two options. He talked to Aikman, who urged him to stay. The next morning, before leaving for the office, Johnson was leaning toward giving the thing one more try. Once in the office, though, Johnson saw the front page of the Forth Worth Star-Telegram. The headline read, JERRY TO JIMMY: COMMIT OR QUIT. Johnson was livid. He regarded the paper as Jones's mouthpiece, and the headline did not convey the tenor of the meeting he had had with Jones, not by a long shot. "I said to myself, I'm so tired of this," says Johnson.

He walked into Jones's office and told him, "It's time." Jones agreed, and they worked out a deal whereby Joneswould rip up the last five years of the contract. Johnson was a freeman, with a bonus.
    dallasdave and tantrix1969 like this.
  20. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Very true indeed.
    cajuncocoa likes this.