1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN - 31 NFL teams pass on Carter

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jacs, Aug 5, 2004.

1. jacs

jacs I'd Hit It

2,406 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Quarterback clears waivers, returns to Dallas via Georgia

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

OXNARD, Calif. – Quincy Carter is still waiting to start the second phase of his NFL career.

Carter, waived Wednesday by the Cowboys, went unclaimed by the other 31 teams Thursday. He is now free to sign with any team.

"I think most teams don't want to get a player for a position as important as quarterback off the waiver wire," owner Jerry Jones said. "It doesn't have anything to do with Quincy. It's just that most clubs don't want to acquire a quarterback that way."

Now, a team interested in Carter can schedule a visit and interview him before deciding whether to sign him. Jones said no club has contacted the organization about Carter, who will count about $600,000 against the Cowboys' 2004 salary cap.

Carter, who spent Wednesday night in Georgia, returned to Dallas on Thursday in a private plane. He spent the day meeting with some of his spiritual advisers and planning his future.

Two club sources said the combination of violating the league's substance-abuse policy, a poor attitude regarding the competition with Vinny Testaverde and an average performance in the first four days of two-a-day practices led to the Cowboys' decision.

The sources said Jones and coach Bill Parcells weren't comfortable with Carter being one failed test removed from a suspension, so they ended the relationship.

Carter recently violated the NFL's substance-abuse policy and would have been fined four game checks totaling $107,060 but did not face a suspension, three sources said. Another positive test would have resulted in a four-game suspension, according to the league's substance-abuse policy.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said a clubs are prohibited from waiving players solely on the basis of violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

Jones said he doesn't expect to hear from the NFLPA or the league regarding anything surrounding Carter's release.

"I would welcome giving the players' association or the league any information they would need regarding how I made this decision," Jones said.

It could take Carter some time to find a new employer because most of the quarterbacks currently in training camp have spent the entire off-season learning the offense, so clubs might be reluctant to bring in another quarterback until they're sure the players on their roster can't get the job done.

Carter passed for 3,302 yards and 17 touchdowns with 21 interceptions last season as the Cowboys went 10-6 and made the playoffs for the first time since 1999.

"I don't know if he will have a productive career in the NFL," Jones said. "If he can, it has nothing to do with going to a new team or a new situation."
  2. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    So does that mean we can sign him to the practice squad now?

:D
  3. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Wow.

The hints and messages behind the quotes from Jerry.

It wasn't difficult :eek: