1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Andre Gurode and NT Jay Ratliff return to practice; OL Montrae Holland still out

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 13, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,185 Messages
    6,990 Likes Received
    By

Brandon George / Reporter
    bgeorge@dallasnews.com | Bio
    9:43 AM on Sat., Aug. 13, 2011 | Permalink

ARLINGTON -- As expected, Cowboys starting Pro Bowl center Andre Gurode and starting nose tackle Jay Ratliff are back in uniform and on the field practicing today at Cowboys Stadium.

Gurode missed the first two weeks of training camp and the first preseason game Thursday against Denver while recovering from off-season right knee surgery in late June. While out, Phil Costa filled in as starter for Gurode.

Ratliff has been out with a hip contusion since Aug. 6. Starting CB Mike Jenkins (stinger) is in uniform.

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/08/cowboys-center-andre-gurode-ba.html
  2. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,139 Messages
    1,845 Likes Received
    What's it going to take for this team to wise up, send Holland packing and bring in Brian Waters?

:banghead:

They're down to 88 players at the moment too.

No reason why this move can't and shouldn't be made.

Drop this bum!
  3. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,437 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    I'm really hoping that this injury forces their hand and they get the Waters deal done. Simply put, it makes more sense to have Waters on this roster than Holland. C'mon Jerry!!!
  4. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Holland should really be ashamed of himself. He's in pathetic shape.
  5. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Yup. I've been saying the same thing for about a week.

I wonder how much longer the Cowboys are going to take the wait and see approach with Holland? Unless they really think he's the best option for the team and this stage.
  6. BIGDen

4,437 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    He was a guy that could have benefitted from working with Woicik in the offseason, but the fact that he didn't get himself into reasonable shape on his own shows the laziness/attitude. I like Smith and Arkin, but we are paper thin on the OL and it'll likely be our undoing......again. I really hope I'm wrong.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,714 Messages
    9,955 Likes Received
    We have the same issue with Gurode apparently. By all reports he's way out of shape.
  8. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm just going by the eyeball test, but Gurode doesn't appear to be grossly overweight from what I saw of him in camp or on the sideline at the game.

Holland has never been confused with Mr. Universe, however he is grossly puffed coming into this training camp. Looks like he's been slamming cake frosting sandwiches and chasing it with gravy milkshakes all off-season.
  9. Risen Star

22,714 Messages
    9,955 Likes Received
    Dude, you're making me hungry.
  10. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,298 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    It's obvious, that short of injury to the other guards, Dallas isn't bringing in another guard.

Maybe after the first week. But not now.
  11. BIGDen

4,437 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    Would it be inappropriate for a guy, who is about to turn 40, to cover his ears, close his eyes, and yell all sorts of jibberish in an attempt to block out all sound?......because that was my reaction to that statement.

This feels so much like last year when we cut Flo. Just ignored the depth issue at tackle - until we got Barron that is....ughhh. Well now it's guard and tackle. We need depth desperately. O lineman (especially aging ones like Gurode, Kosier, and Holland) get injured injured frequently. This offense will sink if the OL doesn't stay healthy.
  12. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,504 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Holland is a BUM!
  13. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    From the sound of it, Holland has competition from Arkin and Costa now. He shouldn't be feeling at all secure.
  14. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,219 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    It looks like he just hasn't lost his camp weight because he hasn't been participating. Gurode's a pro and knows what it takes. He'll be in football shape by opening day.
  15. Risen Star

22,714 Messages
    9,955 Likes Received
    If Gurode was a pro he wouldn't have shown up to camp so overweight.

Let's call it like it is. He suffers from the same laziness as Holland.
  16. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,439 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    I wouldn't cut Holland yet, but I'd certainly bring in Waters.
  17. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,439 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    I don't think they are necessarily lazy. They keep their bodies strong by working out, although I'm sure a lot of linemen don't do much running without being prodded.

I think it's more of a diet problem. It's hard when you have to lay off of the Krispy Kremes.
  18. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,850 Messages
    1,840 Likes Received
    I think Holland was just paid his roster bonus, so doubt he would be cut at this point.
    If anything, he may not start, but can be a good backup. Until someone steps up.

I hope so, have never been impressed with him. But as a back up, as shown in the past, we need experienced lineman.
  19. JIGGYFLY

JIGGYFLY Active Member

1,367 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Did you forget about his knee surgery?

14 pounds is nothing to drop in a training camp and is hardly grossly overweight.
  20. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,568 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Yeah but it's easier to just blindly label him lazy even though he has never reportedly been overweight in his career.