1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Anthony Spencer has started running, has no doubts he will play this season

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by NewsBot, Jun 12, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

37,009 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    IRVING – Anthony Spencer has taken the next step in his recovery from microfracture surgery on his left knee. The Dallas Cowboys defensive end, who had the operation performed in October, has started running on the Valley Ranch practice fields.

Spencer said Thursday that he’s hopeful his progression will lead to lateral movements in a couple more weeks.

“Not being able to walk, to being able to walk, to being able to run, I feel good about it,” Spencer said.

Although he … [visit site to read more]

Continue reading...
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

33,598 Messages
    3,830 Likes Received
    And here I thought Spencer was going to lose the leg.
    jobberone and AmericasTeam81 like this.
  3. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

4,599 Messages
    1,252 Likes Received
    Give it time.
  4. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

1,610 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    That is great. I think you need to be able run to become a rushman. On the other hand, last year you only needed a pulse to be a rushman. :)
    djmajestik, jobberone and WoodysGirl like this.
  5. Maxmadden

Maxmadden Well-Known Member

1,043 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    Yep. It's still early. While it is progress, tomorrow could be his last day. He is a long way from contributing. He is in the Lee category while he could really help, he simply can't be depended on.
  6. dogunwo

dogunwo Waves that make you sea-sick

5,678 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    Yeah, it's too bad that you're right. Our expectations get built up high and then injuries linger on. My guess, if we see Spencer, it won't be before week 8.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

53,903 Messages
    6,950 Likes Received
    To expect anything more at this point is only setting yourself up for potential big time disappointment.
  8. MichaelWinicki

33,598 Messages
    3,830 Likes Received
    That's very possible... But if he's able to come back and actually play 20 snaps a game over the last 8 games of the season... That would be a win for this defense.
    nickjamesw43 and dogunwo like this.
  9. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

40,911 Messages
    5,356 Likes Received
    Only here can encouraging news be spread so thin as to dissipate completely.
    pancakeman likes this.
  10. MichaelWinicki

33,598 Messages
    3,830 Likes Received
    LOL!

Yeah.

I'm no expert on this type of surgery... But I gotta think if there was a problem with the surgery we would have heard about it by now, and they wouldn't let him start running or he wouldn't have started running due to the pain/discomfort. I would think the challenge now is to overcome the months of inactivity.
    rwill784 and jobberone like this.
  11. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 alpha seeing omega Zone Supporter

4,380 Messages
    1,643 Likes Received
    If he can be a part of the rotation by game six, and be effective, Ill take it..
    Better than nothing. He is getting paid.
  12. jobberone

40,911 Messages
    5,356 Likes Received
    Hard to say but this is one acid test. If he can run without undue discomfort then that's a decent sized hurdle. The next, if it comes, is to mix it up in some in pads. Encouraging news but not predictive....not yet. But pretty encouraging.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  13. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

13,592 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    As long as he's ready in time for the playoffs, we're good...o_O
  14. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

4,208 Messages
    2,955 Likes Received
    What? Dude is like Lee? Spencer got hurt last year...the year before he played 14 games and was the best player on our defense....and prior to that he played 16 games in 4 of 5 seasons and has been a rock.
    yentl911 likes this.
  15. Maxmadden

Maxmadden Well-Known Member

1,043 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    I never said he was like Lee. I just said put him in the Lee category of not being able to depend on them. Not that either can't or won't, but we can't build a team around them as if they are going to be there everyday. I have always thought Spencer was underrated and I really hope he returns to form but the odds are not in his or our favor.
    yentl911 likes this.
  16. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,804 Messages
    1,322 Likes Received
    Astonishing numbers from Colston. Never realized he had two micro surgeries.

That gives me hope for Spence. I will be more then happy with 8 games from this dude.
  17. jobberone

40,911 Messages
    5,356 Likes Received
    If he were to start and play up to par that would be a huge boost for this D. That fixes the run game on that side and makes the other players immediately better. IF.
  18. Westcoasthabsfan

Westcoasthabsfan Active Member

2,326 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    way to go out on a limb there Spencer....
  19. Disturbed

Disturbed A Mere Flesh Wound

1,448 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    The only thing I know for sure about Spencer -- he will continue to cash his checks. And the hype about playing makes people feel good and Jerruh happy to sign the checks.

Will he play...when will he play...who knows.