1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN: Bill Callahan says cadence issues part of problem for 12 false start penalties

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 26, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,469 Messages
    4,430 Likes Received
    By Brandon George / Reporter
    bgeorge@dallasnews.com
    1:13 pm on September 26, 2012 | Permalin

The Cowboys have 12 false start penalties through the first three games. Last year, the Cowboys didn’t have their 12th false start penalty called against them until Week 11 at Washington.

“We’re not going to sugar coat anything. We’re not real pleased where we’re at,” Callahan said Wednesday at Valley Ranch. “It’s certainly not our standard.

“We came out of the New York game feeling pretty good. We played good against a formidable front. We had some issues with the cadence and the silent count on the road and then we felt pretty good going up to Seattle where we corrected that in one of the most hostile environments in the NFL and we had one false start and our goal was to have none in a really tough situation. I think you saw the other night, [Seattle had] eight sacks in one half [against Green Bay] is pretty tough and we came away from that game and we only gave up one sack [at Seattle in Week 2] and so there are a lot of positive things from that game.

Read more: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...lse-start-penalties-through-three-games.html/
  2. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,185 Messages
    455 Likes Received
    Found problem...solve problem.

That's what good coaches do.
  3. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,008 Messages
    1,707 Likes Received
    I just want to see improvement.
  4. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,147 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Well that explains it: it's all Tony's fault. I'm so glad Coach Callahan cleared that up for us . . .
  5. BTX

BTX New Member

435 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have wondered if Dallas past history of many false starts causes refs to come in the game expecting Dallas to commit them. Thus causing them to flag us for more.
  6. tomsanders921

tomsanders921 Active Member

990 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    A false start is a false start. No way around it. They don't throw flags for lineman who don't move. They only miss them from time to time.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,616 Messages
    5,334 Likes Received
    How many false starts did BAL have last night? Was it four? And a handful of blown blitz pickups, two.

That's not meant to be misdirection for the DAL line--there's no excuse for the mental mistakes or the cadence problems at this point. But throw in GB's 8 sacks given up this weekend and some of the inefficiencies from other blocking teams the first three weeks, and, either I haven't paid close attention to early season OL struggles across the board, or something's up league-wide with protection struggling early this season.

On a side note, I recommend listening to the Callahan interview if you haven't already. It's another interview where tone matters, and there are also some nice tidbits. For example, he mentions we only gave up one sack and one false start in week two playing on the road in the Kingdome. Just from watching the game, I would have thought the stat line there would have looked a lot worse.
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,955 Messages
    2,170 Likes Received
    People do not want to hear what he has to say they just want to complain that nothing is being done. I wish this line was playing in mid season form they are not and it is making it hard to run the offense but I do think Callahan will get some of these issues ironed out and get better production out of this group.
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,616 Messages
    5,334 Likes Received
    It's unbelievably frustrating. But I do think we've got the right coach, and that--the the possible exception at RT--our talent is at least adequate for what's expected of them. Callahan sure seems to think it's a case of a blown assignment here and a blown assignment there, and not that we're getting jailbroken and overwhelmed physically from down to down.

Listening to the interview, he's pretty clear that he knows what's going on and thinks he can fix it. It trusts the scheme and is very complimentary of the unit's work ethic.

Not that anybody howling about the OL all offseason is bothering to pay attention to what the issues really are, or where we're getting beat at this point. But I'm really curious to see how we do v. a really good CHI front on Monday.
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,955 Messages
    2,170 Likes Received
    People have their own views not willing to listen to a man who has been a coach for many years and has worked well in putting NFL OL together. So many get it in their head that their opinion and there way is the only way even though they have no experiance at any level. But then that is what message boards are about a way to let fans vent their own frustrations.

I will say given the play of the OL Callahan has his work cut out for him but I think he is the man for the job and will get better production from this group. We will have to wait and see
  11. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,695 Messages
    1,714 Likes Received
    It cracks me up that people think this is a coaching issue. How exactly is a coach supposed to say "Don't go until we snap the ball" differently? LOL

False starts result from a lack of ability and confidence.

When you feel like you have to get out of your stance as fast as possible to have the slightest chance to block the guy in front of you, you're antsy. When you know you can block the guy in front of you, you're solid.

Our guys jump because largely because they know they're overmatched.
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,462 Messages
    3,742 Likes Received
    If we any improvement Monday night I'll be encouraged. After the bye week is what I really what to see.
  13. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cadence is just part of the problem. When the coach also calls out starters and specifically asks them to do better it's clear that cadence can't be the excuse or crutch for poor play.
  14. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,278 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    Maybe just maybe these guys should have been playing together the whole offseason instead if being coddled the ought their various ailments.
  15. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,459 Messages
    962 Likes Received
  16. dallasfaniac

dallasfaniac Active Member

4,197 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The tackles are lined up so far back that they can't see the ball and have to go off cadence. That's why you see on a couple false starts, both tackles and Witten moved but the interior line moved with the snap.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,780 Messages
    1,612 Likes Received
    :signmast: - not interested in excuses.
  18. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,263 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    I can easily believe that it is partially, if not more, related to Romo's cadence or lack of cadence, since the word actually means a rhythmic repetition. We've been having this problem for a long time, through a lot of players, and it's been both tackles, TEs, and even the center this year alone.

Maybe it has taken a good and confident OL coach to see the impact on the OL and guts to say it...it's one thing to say a DL should watch the ball, but all OL are taught from a young age to "anticipate the count"....you shouldn't jump on a hard count, but you do need the QB to have a consistent "cadence."
  19. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,459 Messages
    962 Likes Received
    The cadence issue is Cook's not Romo's, he's not snapping when he's suppose to because he's not use to Romo's cadence.
  20. kiheikiwi

kiheikiwi Maui No Ka Oi

719 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    So, if its a 2 year project - what happens if "heaven forbid" we actually draft some linemen next year ? Does it extend out another 2 years ? As the now new rookies get up to speed ? Surely they don't plan on this lineup for another year !
    Unfortunately there is no quick fix for this O-line, and going cheap will haunt us all year. I applaud how the corners were bought in - Carr and Claiborne - but the two guards bought in, and no center at all, will be the the catalist to break the season. It amazes me how the FO can get it right in some areas, (the back-end of our defence) but become so pig headed in other areas that they no better than everyone else in the league.
    To a smaller degree, reminds me of the 09 "backup" draft... They know better...