1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN Blog: '4th and Long' - Finalist *Spoilers* - Merge

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,412 Messages
    178 Likes Received
    In the end, Holley has NFL size but it won't matter.

Roy Williams
    Patrick Crayton
    Miles Austin

Does he beat out Hurd - no
    Stanback - Jerry is going to let a tv guy beat out his pet project???
    2009 draft pick - maybe - if keep six WR's

Practice squad at BEST
  2. Achozen

Achozen Sounds From The Lair

5,076 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Now we got two Stanbacks. :laugh2:
  3. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:

Holley EARNED it, but you keep your eyes closed. :rolleyes:
  4. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,181 Messages
    756 Likes Received
    I really do believe that Hawkins was passed because of his height. He basically outplayed everyone almost every episode. Coach Joe really overstated Holleys ability compared to other WRs on the team. Neither receiver could beat out Hurd and I think (Holley) will have a tough time beating out Stanback or Wilson for that matter. Mike will need to really work his magic in training him up for camp.
  5. ilovejerry

ilovejerry Active Member

3,323 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    They should have sent both to camp( Holly & Hawkins ) ,,,and see what happens christ..Amendola made the PS last year ... lets go Holly...Makes preseason intresting now.
  6. GOLDENCHILD1688

GOLDENCHILD1688 Well-Known Member

4,325 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    yeah i agree with you.

i like holley but hawk was better to me throughout the course of the show

i think hawkins size unfairly did him in

he showed time and again it wasnt a factor during the course of the show but i knew they wouldnt give the little guy a chance. unlike holley he differs from anyone we have on our team

well hears to hoping holley pans out. hes our guy now and hes got some talent. hopefully he can create a great ending to this story
  7. mmurray21

mmurray21 Member

184 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We have seen Hawkins fumble several times. If all you can do is special teams, you really need to take care of the ball better than he does.
  8. TX_Yid

TX_Yid Well-Known Member

1,243 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Hawkins did nothing but flat out ball. He made the DBs look like high schoolers the way he got them turned around off the line and he showed up more than anyone else as a special teams contributer.

Coach Joe said it, they needed to pick someone who could contribute on special teams and that person was Hawkins, plus he offered something that none of our current WRs do.

The Holley selection seemed like an attempt to send a prototypical body to Jerry so they weren't embarressed but I don't think he has a shot to make the team.

I'd put my money on someone picking up Hawkins, he'll do a decent job for someone.
  9. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,181 Messages
    756 Likes Received
    Hawkins is already in the CFL.
  10. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,211 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    So what exactly has Hurd or Stanback done that would give you such confidence? These guys are no locks to make the team. Holley has a real shot. And i think he has some skills, he attacks the football. Also both have fallen to injuries the past seasons...that is all the advantage Holley would need.

Also, what i would give to have the Playmaker run the Cowboys training camp. I was impressed with the workouts he had for them. Guys throwing up and passing out...i dont remember seeing any of that with Wades camp.
  11. TX_Yid

TX_Yid Well-Known Member

1,243 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Someone else on the board had said that Hawkins signed in the CFL prior to 4th and long and gave up his contract to be on the show.
  12. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Staged? Whatever! :rolleyes: The game was o the line - tied - and Hawkins had to make a play as a return man. His advantages were his shiftiness and speed, which typically comes through for him when he gets around people. Only on this critical play, he failed to use these strengts. And instead, he got stripped/fumbed, rather than just getting tackled. That line "it's not how many good plays you make; it's how many few bad plays you make" held true. And his bad play came at the worst time of the biggest game of 4th And Long.

Sorry for spoiling the news for you Hawkins backers, but Irvin ultimately did not cut Hawkins; no, Hawkins cut -or should i say, fumbled - himself.

Holley on the other hand made the plays to keep the lead and extend the lead. And he had no bad plays in the entire game. When the lights came on he delivered; he EANED his spot on the roster.
  13. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,227 Messages
    1,445 Likes Received
    I saw Hawkins make about 1 bad play the entire show and it was that fumble at the end.

Unbelievable.

Un frickin believable.

Holley has 0 chance of making this team. Hawkins had a much better shot but they went with measurables obviously.

Hawkins had return ability and Special teams ability.

Holley? He better be one heck of a receiver because thats all he has got. He is a 1 trick pony.

They screwed this one up bigtime and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a conspiracy to get the ball to Holley more in that final game because they knew Hawkins would put on a show.

Hawkins had a chance. Holley = 100% camp fodder.
  14. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,833 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    Just some perspective for everyone:

Hawkins (my personal favorite, but oh well) is getting reserve time for the Montreal Alouettes. The CFL is full of good players, but there's a reason they are not in the NFL.

I don't think Holley could beat any of our backups. Look at his college stats against lower competition:

Stats Overview Receiving Rushing Fumbles
    YEAR REC YDS AVG LNG TD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
    2004 30 456 15.2 45 2 2 4 2.0 2 0 0 0
    2005 47 670 14.3 49 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
    2006 37 466 12.6 50 2 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

Five touchdowns in three years? That ain't going to cut it.

My prediction is that he'll make the list of 75 players (JJ doesn't want to make himself look too much like a horse's arse), but that's as far as he goes.
  15. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

3,153 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    And not exactly lighting it up.

Not that I expect Holley to make any noise, but if Hawk can't do it in the CFL, then come on.

16. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,227 Messages
    1,445 Likes Received
    Im rooting for Kevin Ogletree or Stanback to step up.

I hope Holley does well. I really do. But he was not the best fit for Dallas.
  17. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,481 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    i wish him the best....
  18. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

3,153 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    Another thing some guys are forgetting is that it's a TV show.

I thought Hawkins showed a lot too, but we didn't see everything these guys did or didn't do.

Some of you guys must be tearing up the phone lines buying the "awesome auger" because it looks so good on TV.

There's no telling how much the directors/producers were downplaying or pumping up guys because it made for "good" (cough, cough) TV.
  19. Bungarian

Bungarian Butt Monkey

2,067 Messages
    371 Likes Received
    No way Holley makes the team. In the end 4th and long was a joke.
  20. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Active Member

7,599 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Nailed it. :hammer: