1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

DMN Blog: '4th and Long' - Finalist *Spoilers* - Merge

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 19, 2009.

1. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I wonder how much film they've actually watched on Hurd, Stanback, etc.?

2. Texan_Eph89

Texan_Eph89 Well-Known Member

1,094 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    He was primarily a Basketball player. Had he played football and focused on it alone he would have way better stats. He was their 3rd receiver behind Nicks and Tate, what do you expect.....

3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

34,686 Messages
    10,050 Likes Received
    The only guy he is competing against is Stanback unless Holley just goes bananas on Special teams.

Thats why Hurd is a lock to make this team. I dont know if you guys get that or not.

Hurd is a bad *** at covering on kickoffs.

He is a versatile player.

The deeper you are on the roster the more versatile you absolutely have to be.

Thats why Hawkins had the better chance. He is a much more versatile player.

4. Texan_Eph89

1,094 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ^This.
    Hurd is a lock. However, Holley has a chance to beat out the rookie and Stanback. He could beat Hurd as a receiver, but Hurd's spot is safe for his special teams contribution.

5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

34,686 Messages
    10,050 Likes Received
    My guess is about every Cowboy fan who posts on these message boards could give you way more info about those 2 guys.

I doubt very seriously Coach Joe and Bates are as in tuned about the depth of the Cowboys as we are.

Thats just normal though.

6. SA_Gunslinger

SA_Gunslinger Official CZ Ea-girls hater

4,788 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    so, you don't think he has what it takes to beat out a project WR who hasn't shown much of anything? I think he has a shot. Time will tell, of course.

btw, we're not idiots here. we understand football. so, drop the "i know more than you" tone, please.

7. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    this

in the end it was just Jerry marketing the Cowboys, and helping Irvin get his production company a boost

8. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

9,663 Messages
    2,958 Likes Received
    Mods, you might consider merging this thread with the other 4th and Long thread.

One thing's for sure, watching Holley in preseason games will be a treat for either the proponents or naysayers.

9. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Well-Known Member

8,449 Messages
    780 Likes Received
    I agree 100% with everything here.

10. SA_Gunslinger

SA_Gunslinger Official CZ Ea-girls hater

4,788 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    let me get this straight. you think that you, as a dallas cowboys fan who surfs the internet all day, knows more than two guys with strong ties to the organization, two guys with access to the organization, and two guys who have coached/played in the NFL? (i can only presume that you have done none of these things)

Right.

11. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

34,686 Messages
    10,050 Likes Received
    I doubt either one of them care enough.

Thats the whole thing. Im sure they have all kinds of access but these guys have been at that level.

I doubt they do their homework on any of these guys who are deep on the roster.

Myself and just about every other fanatic on this board could tell you anything you want to know about the guy as far as information goes.

I doubt very seriously they are watching the 4th quarter of of a meaningless pre-season game like your hardcore Cowboys fans.

12. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

16,902 Messages
    1,021 Likes Received
    he was still just a walk-on with the UNC basketball team, he was so obscure, I didn't even remember he was on the 2005 championship team.

13. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,894 Likes Received
    :hammer:

And if this hadn't been agreed to long before the first of the year, I doubt the 2009 Flush-the-Toilet Jerry even would've gone for it.

And I agree with Catch. Coach Joe is on Hansen's radio show for a few minutes several times a week during the season. Sure, he's a smart guy and knows football, but it's obvious from listening to him that he doesn't follow the team as closely as we do. And he admits that he doesn't have any kind of special access to practices or coaches opinions.

14. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

9,663 Messages
    2,958 Likes Received
    Who thinks they'll bring back the show next year with OL/DL?

15. mperfection

mperfection Member

811 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Exactly!

16. Whiskey Cowboy

Whiskey Cowboy Member

224 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I don't know if its just me but watching the show it seemed like Holley dropped an extraordinary amount of passes that NFL level receivers would have made...I say there is no way he beats out Johnson, Lewis, or Ogletree. He may be better than Stanglass but neither of them will make the team

17. Texan_Eph89

1,094 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Hawkins fumbled more than once, just look at one of the older episodes.

With that said, Hawkins was making plays everywhere. I just don't think 5'7" is enough for WR. For HB sure, Sproles and Jones Drew are short, but as a RB that's an advantage in a way (low center of gravity). As a WR that's a huge disadvantage, all the DBs are taller than you.
    Even Steve Smith is 5'9" which is pretty comparable to most DBs.

Hawkins would have been a special teams ace, Holly has a chance to be a WR. Had Hawk been 5'9" he would have won, but his height would be an issue later down the road.

By holding Holley to his limited College career is somewhat unfair. He was primarily a ball player, then a football player. He has all the measurables, he's tough, his route running in the show was better than Austin's last year, he made some really nice catches throughout the show, and he's confident.

He has a chance to make the team, especially with our weak WR corps.
    Stanback is on the chopping block and the other spot is to a rookie, Holley has a chance.

I would say bring them both in and see what happens.
    At the very least they're camp fodder.

18. Whiskey Cowboy

Whiskey Cowboy Member

224 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Nah no way..People want to see exciting skill positions...and I guarantee you the aerage fan would hate watching the bigs go at it (although I would love it)

19. mperfection

mperfection Member

811 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    You'll be eating [choking] on your own words.

20. Texan_Eph89

1,094 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    He was their PG I'm pretty sure.