1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN Blog: '4th and Long' - Finalist *Spoilers* - Merge

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 19, 2009.

1. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ok, so Holley is the same type of WR we have. Fine. It will then come down to whether he is better than what we have or not. If he is, great. If he isn't, fine. Honestly, what else do you think we were going to do with that 80th roster spot? Y'all are acting like this guy was just gifted a roster spot that would have otherwise gone to Demarcus Ware. It's the 80th freaking spot. Last year that spot was the Great Daniel Polk, one of our first cuts. Do you guys really think it is a travesty that Jesse Holley is being given a shot instead of a Daniel Polk? Please.

Holley may be a pure WR, so that will mean he will have to show more. And maybe he can show enough to take a spot from Stanglass.

As for Hawkins, again, I agree that he showed everything you want out of a guy. But at the end of the day, it came down to his size. And while his size was not a detriment against the guys he was playing against, it may be a different story in the NFL. Holley's game will translate just fine; Hawkins, I not so sure of the same.
  2. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,671 Messages
    4,944 Likes Received
    It is the same Jerry.

He was grinning from ear to ear and couldn't wait to show off his stadium, if even to some pine rider.

He hasn't changed. And I would be shocked if this show doesn't return again. It is relatively cheap and it keeps the brand front and center like he is obsessed with doing.

Think of it like Hard Knocks Lite. It doesn't seem like as much of a circus, but he still gets to get his face out there. Again.
  3. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    We'll have to disagree on that one. Something definitely changed for him to cut the same pet players he previously defended so strongly. I'm guessing it was the embarrassment of the ending of last season, which most likely happened after this show was agreed to.

As far as the stadium, he has every right to be proud of it. That doesn't hurt anything as long as it doesn't affect the actual roster.
  4. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,974 Messages
    919 Likes Received
    The cobra strikes again. Two very good post, snakeman. :D
  5. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,691 Messages
    535 Likes Received
    Sorry if this was already discussed but I like what he'll bring to camp. Here's why.. he's hungry and eager to prove he isn't some TV-hyped scrub. He will be hustling and he has the athletic ability to actually go out and make some plays.

Guess what else that means? The other receivers will be competing too. No one wants to be shown up by the TV guy. Sam Hurd, Miles Austin, Isaiah Stanback, and other unproven guys are going to be out there hustling too.

As a dedicated USC fan I can tell you that competition brings out the best in great players. I used to think Pete Carroll was crazy recruiting and signing multiple superstars who played the same position. After seeing the results and watching how those guys go at it in practice, I can tell you, it works.
  6. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,671 Messages
    4,944 Likes Received
    Jones had to make those moves for the mental health of his team (and because he was strongly urged to do so), but I have no illusions that it didn't pain him greatly to give up that kind of built-in publicity.

This was like a heroin addict taking methadone.

You might think he's changed, but really all he has done is modified his behavior to a more socially acceptable way. If he could get away with the full blown circus again, he probably would.
  7. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,699 Messages
    618 Likes Received
    I wonder why Holley did not slap Mo Washington like Hawkins did. I don't recall Washington insulting Hawkins either, Washington loved to rag on Holley telling him how pretty he was. Asking him for kisses and such.

Holley's response? He giggles and says Mo Wash was "so wrong to do me like that".
  8. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,496 Messages
    390 Likes Received
    The one huge myth about Holley though is that he was a big time basketball player at UNC. He was a walk-on/practice pylon. On the 2005 championship, at best he was 3rd string PG behind Felton and Quentin Thomas.

Still, I hope he does well but if he doesn't he will be forgotten very quickly.
  9. Spectre

Spectre Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    The one thing you're forgetting about is Jerry Jones and his business sense.
    He knows that a fan-favorite nobody is a better addition to the bottom of the roster than an unknown nobody.
    The winner of this show had/has every chance to be on the roster because the fans, and the owner want him to succeed more than the other "nobodys".
  10. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,942 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    Anyone want to do sig bets to see when/if he gets cut?

I predict he'll make it to 75 simply because JJ won't bruise his ego and future shows to have a guy be one of the first gone. 53? HA.

I am looking forward to the preseason and seeing what types of snaps he'll get. You can bet that there will be a slew of 'I told you so's' the first time he drops a ball or 'I told you so's' the minute he makes a tough catch over the middle.
  11. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,496 Messages
    390 Likes Received
    thus is the internet made

just like in the season, there will be a ton of "I am very afraid of ,,,, this game" so that if we lose, the poster can say, see I was right to be afraid.
  12. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,843 Messages
    2,046 Likes Received
    I wonder if Coach Joe still thinks Holley can beat out Hurd?
  13. jchocolate82

jchocolate82 Member

678 Messages
    2 Likes Received

:lmao:hahahaha wow that was some nice digging for vendication there
  14. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Old Fashioned

3,395 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wow

Im reminded of the Randy Travis song when I read this thread.

"Diggin up bones"
  15. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,942 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    Holley has one catch I believe and it's one that he somehow escaped with after it bounced off his facemask.

I think it's pretty apparent that he won't make the roster, but will battle it with Jefferson and Johnson for PS.