1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN Blog: Cowboys knew OG David Arkin wasn't NFL ready when they took him

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 22, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,229 Messages
    7,059 Likes Received
    By David Moore / Reporter
    dmoore@dallasnews.com | Bio

2:17 PM on Fri., Oct. 21, 2011 | Permalink
    The Cowboys will start their third different player of the season at left guard this Sunday.

It won't be David Arkin. The Cowboys fourth round pick isn't even part of the discussion. He was passed on the depth chart by seventh round pick Bill Nagy early in camp and is viewed strictly as a player to develop at this stage.

"He just needs to play more,'' head coach Jason Garrett said. "He comes from a smaller school (Missouri State). He comes from that environment.

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/10/cowboys-knew-og-david-arkin-wa.html
  2. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dumb to draft a guy in the 4th who can't help out immediately....
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,688 Messages
    3,193 Likes Received
    Huh?

My gosh when you hit the fourth round, there are already almost 100 guys off the board... To expect the guys at this point of the draft to be able to come in and be instant starters in the top-level of football in the world isn't realistic.

Doug Free was a 4th rounder from a smaller school who wasn't ready to contribute in his first or even second seasons... How'd that turn out?
  4. JerryFan

JerryFan Active Member

1,243 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I see zero wrong with drafting Arkin in the 4th. How about we let this play out and see how he ends up.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,676 Messages
    1,492 Likes Received
    Or you could draft Jamarcus Russell first over all. He came from a big school and he was ready to play. Am I right?
  6. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :bow: agreed it wasn't dumb than and isn't now
  7. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  8. DallasGirl50

DallasGirl50 New Member

2,025 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I must be missing something..they drafted him knowing he wasn't NFL ready...Coach Garrett said he just needs to play more...but he is warming the bench. So how does he become NFL ready by not playing?
  9. MichaelWinicki

32,688 Messages
    3,193 Likes Received
    Then you have the additional factor of a 4th round pick not having the benefit of a rookie camp, mini-camps or the team's strength and conditioning program.
  10. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,844 Messages
    732 Likes Received
    Romo wasn't ready his first two years. Same with Miles. Yeah, I know, these two weren't drafted by the Cowboys. But, even if they were drafted they wouldn't have been ready.

Now, Why isn't he on the practice squad right now? That is a fair question.

Would some team take him from the practice squad based on future potential? Maybe, who knows? We are all guessing.
  11. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    .. huh? :laugh2:

Not sure I follow that analogy, but I'm fine with taking our time on Arkin. The fact that Nagy was the 3rd to last player and started over Arkin, who plays the same position says a little bit about how far off Arkin is.
  12. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,704 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Play more as in practice reps, learning and understanding the pro game. He also needs alot of weightroom work, dude needs to get stronger. It definitely wasn't a wasted pick, he has the right aggressive attitude and mindset. He's gonna be a player and this off season will be key for him..
  13. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As a 4th round pick, I've got no problem with Arkin sitting and developing physically and mentally.

With the abbreviated offseason he was put way behind the curve to begin with. Not to mention the fact he came from a tiny school that plays against far lesser talent than he sees even in practice at the pro level; he needs time to adjust.

Doug Free (a former 4th rounder) didn't sniff the field for his first two seasons as a pro.

To think that you're supposed to get an instant contributor from 4th rounder is glib. Even more so with an offensive lineman. Offensive line isn't a position you normally sub in players to get reps ala RB, WR, CB and even defensive line.

As an offensive lineman, barring injury, if you aren't a starter, you aren't getting playing time during the game.
  14. MichaelWinicki

32,688 Messages
    3,193 Likes Received
    That's true.

But I also think it says how good of a value the Cowboys got in Nagy.
  15. JustDezIt

JustDezIt Formerly sm0kie13 ROY

3,647 Messages
    16 Likes Received

[IMG]
  16. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,759 Messages
    707 Likes Received
    Yeah, we should have taken Casey Matthews in the 4th round. He's tearing it up. Oh wait...
  17. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,778 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    Why don't you stroll down the 4th round pick list and see who's starting for their prospective team. :)
  18. MichaelWinicki

32,688 Messages
    3,193 Likes Received
    Oh I'd cut threesport a little slack.

A lot of Cowboy fans are frustrated with the offensive line. That's easy to understand and the result is a lot of straw-grasping trying to figure out how to fix it quickly and who to blame for its performance.

By the end of the season, my unprofessional opinion is that the O-line will be improved.
  19. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,118 Messages
    3,157 Likes Received
    Sometimes I swear my eyes are lying to me. I did not just see this.
  20. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,833 Messages
    188 Likes Received
    Of course Arkin wasn't expected to contribute this year. By definition an OL with a fourth round grade is not expected to contribute in their first year.